Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
2/6/18 4:11 p.m.

Hey guys, it looks like the power steering rack in my 06 Toyota Sienna is leaking. I called the dealer to get an estimate on the job. Well $1200 seems a bit more than I want to spend. I looked at a couple of YouTube videos and it doesn't seem like a terrible job, but I thought I'd ask if any of you guys have tackled such a task? If I was to tackle this, would you recommend I get a oem Toyota unit or an aftermarket piece? If oem, do you guys know of a place to get them for a discount price? 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/6/18 4:49 p.m.

I had a leaking rack on my Sienna.  I looked at attempting to replace it and decided that putting a little fluid in every once in a while was an OK price to pay...  

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
2/6/18 5:40 p.m.

I want to fix it as I don't want this thing leaking all over my driveway. 

cghstang
cghstang Dork
2/6/18 6:02 p.m.

Is it leaking out of torn boot(s) or elsewhere?

Mine has a torn boot on the passenger side which is apparently common due to internal leakage. It doesn't drip to the ground though and isn't losing fluid from the reservoir so I haven't fixed mine yet.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
2/6/18 6:10 p.m.
cghstang said:

Is it leaking out of torn boot(s) or elsewhere?

Mine has a torn boot on the passenger side which is apparently common due to internal leakage. It doesn't drip to the ground though and isn't losing fluid from the reservoir so I haven't fixed mine yet.

Couldn't really tell on my quick check in the driveway where it was leaking from, but it seems like the steering rack . Also the reservoir was low  so I think it is a safe assumption. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
2/6/18 7:12 p.m.

I would spend the dough on a Toyota rack.  Every reman rack I have ever dealt with has been spectacular crap.  Garbage.  Bent, rusted, poor seals, poor boots.  Truly E36 M3 of the highest order.  Rebuilt by the lowest bidder, using parts from the cheapest supplier. Stripped threads.  Wrong application. 

Really. Really.  Try to save money on the part, and you will change it annually for the rest of your life.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/6/18 7:14 p.m.

I'm on the East Coast and swear by partznet.com for Toyota and Honda parts.  Like their FB page and join their mailing  lists for even better discounts.

RyanW
RyanW New Reader
2/6/18 9:10 p.m.

Bring it to Western mass and I'll do it. I'm a Toyota tech and have done a few. Awd or FWD?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
2/6/18 9:12 p.m.

FWD LE model. Where in Western MA, and how much do you want to do it? 

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/7/18 12:36 a.m.

$1500 And you can road trip our 2005 Sienna home and swap the rack over!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/18 7:15 a.m.

I have not done one of those specifically. The only issue with steering racks that I have replaced is what else do you need to take apart. Some it is as simple as the four bolts for the mounts tie rod ends and the lines and you slide it out. Others you have to jack up motors and or remove engin components.  

Also when shopping for these be very careful as to what comes with them. Some come with the tie rod others come bare. Some with boots others with out.  Unless the inner and outer tie rod ends are new I would replace those as well with all new boots. Also figure in an alignment. 

As for where to re to get them I use to get remand from Autozone as they had a lifetime guarantee. Never had an issue with them.  But that was years ago so tread carefully.  

RyanW
RyanW New Reader
2/7/18 5:56 p.m.
Mazdax605 said:

FWD LE model. Where in Western MA, and how much do you want to do it? 

Northampton Lia Toyota.  I could get you our pricing on the rack if you want.  I don't charge much for side work.  PM me your vin and I can get a price tomorrow.  From my vague memory, FWD's are pretty straight forward to do, but I'll check the times tomorrow.  You'll get an alignment out of it too.  I like to lowball myself with price quotes, so let me do some light research tomorrow to see what I'm getting in to lol.  But I can assure you it'll be more than fair.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
2/8/18 7:55 a.m.

Okay, so Sienna is at dealer for recalls and trans service as well as checking out the leak I thought was the steering rack. They just called and said it's a coolant leak and it's the radiator and possibly the water pump. Want $450 for radiator and nearly $900 for timing belt and water pump if needed. I don't remember it being that much when we had the timing belt done the first time. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
2/9/18 4:14 p.m.

So it turns out that the water pump that the dealer installed  back in 2012 when I had the timing belt done (as well as the water pump at my request) was a NAPA part and not a Toyota part that I thought we were getting. Now I really like most Napa parts, I was under the assumption that we were getting all oem Toyota stuff. Dealer didn't charge me for labor on the new water pump this time because it was not a Toyota part last time. Timing belt would have needed replacing in 20k miles, but due to the failed water pump was done now. Dealer says radiator is leaking too, but I haven't seen a drop of coolant under it yet. 

imgon
imgon Reader
2/9/18 4:34 p.m.

Well that sounds like it worked out in your favor a little. Probably more than you wanted to spend on it but now you know you can get some more time out of it. Keep an eye on the coolant and if it is leaking, swap the rad when it gets warm out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jvJGkqUp518Qgr0HWYsBcu1YDZVdZM2q7tIPFY814pFyly8fqZ8famRhCv2m2Iga