petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/7/13 7:54 p.m.

On the way home from work yesterday I glanced down and noticed the tach was stuck at 1k RPM, the fuel gauge on 1/2-tank and the MPH just above 0 - however the trip odometer was still clicking away. I didn't have time to look at it last night, and I had to get gas this morning, so I reset the trip ODO(as always)...and it no longer incremented.

So tonight I checked for any blown fuses, but didn't find any, so I ripped the cluster out of the dash and tore it apart. I examined the board for any cold/cracked solder joints, but didn't find any of those either, so I reset the needles to zero, and reinstalled. No luck, same problems.

So now it looks like I need a new/used cluster. Looking on ebay the prices aren't too bad, but I see comments like "may need reprogrammed by the dealer". Does anyone know if that's true, or will it just plug in and work? Assuming of course I find a cluster that matches the relevant options for my car.

Hal
Hal Dork
6/7/13 8:13 p.m.
petegossett wrote: but I see comments like "may need reprogrammed by the dealer".

That is referring to resetting the odometer to the correct mileage. Not doing this can cause all kinds of problems when you go to sell it. Some times you can find one in the JY that is within a few miles of what your car has.

For some vehicles the dealer can't reset it themselves. They have to send it out or order a new one with the proper mileage already set.

petegossett
6/7/13 8:21 p.m.

But it's not going to throw some crazy code or prevent the car from running?

I'm not too worried about the milage reading being accurate, because I can just take a picture of the existing reading & keep it in the car, so I'll know the true total mileage. This car will probably end up in the salvage yard by the time I'm done with it, or at the very least, on the $201X board...and I'd be selling it to you guys super cheap anyway.

Mmadness
Mmadness Reader
6/7/13 8:56 p.m.

Honestly,I would just say "Berkeley it" and put either an ultragauge (good value for money) or similair in its place. Total install time: 'bout 15mins Cost: $70

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/7/13 9:04 p.m.

Ummm, low tech fix... Did you try slapping the dash?

petegossett
6/7/13 10:08 p.m.

Ultragauge? I hadn't heard of one. I'll have to see what data the Accent supports, though I can get a cluster for $70 also, and it's a 10-minute swap, so I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

I didn't slap the dash, but I pulled the cluster and completely disassembled it with no change to the symptoms.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
6/8/13 6:44 a.m.

I have a scangauge ii in mine. I agree something along those lines would be the cheapest fix.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5AyUjjKXjnYTZAjwdVU6ogyatL02aIZBU6kPSDJHsVC2FE80A0QDEBoZQMRlGJSJ