1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/13 6:54 p.m.

This is a cool football story. Alfred Morris, a new running back for the Redskins, drove his 1991 Mazda 626 last year despite earning $700,000. Mazda loved his attitude and they are refurbishing it for him!

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/redskins-rb-alfred-morris-having-1991-mazda-626-174607030.html#more-51386

I think that's way cool, all the way around.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
7/25/13 6:58 p.m.

Meh.

PR move on Mazda's part to refurb a car for someone who could afford to do it themselves. But he is famous, so everyone gets to hear how "awesome" Mazda is.

Let me see them do that to some poor working stiff that NEEDS that car to provide groceries for their family.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/25/13 6:59 p.m.

Smarter than most sports stars. It's unclear in the article, is he paying for the referb or Mazda?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/25/13 7:19 p.m.

Nice to see a guy so passionate about his car.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
7/25/13 7:34 p.m.

Possible GRM candidate and does not know it yet?

Good for him though.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
7/25/13 7:34 p.m.

Mazda GD bodies forever!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UberDork
7/25/13 8:09 p.m.

My first ever new car purchase was an '89 626 LX and I drove that car daily for 14 years. It was literally the kind of car that you felt could last darn near forever. I'd still have it if my wife hadn't made me sell it and buy a larger "family vehicle" in advance of the birth of our first son.

Cool story. And Mazda IS awesome!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/25/13 8:33 p.m.

We should email Mr. Morris the link to the MX-6 for sale in the 2013 Classifieds.

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
7/25/13 8:47 p.m.

This is great PR. Hats off to Mazda to reward people who love their car......I wonder if they would restore my Miata.....naw I don't want it back to stock.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
7/25/13 10:01 p.m.

That guy's gonna be a good dad.

It's good to hear about someone who, like Warren Buffet, isn't going to wash his kids with the money he earned. Teach them to live by meager means. It makes them real people.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
7/25/13 10:30 p.m.

It's good PR for Mazda but the NFL needs to put Mr. Morris on a pedestal and bow before him.

That's one organization in desperate need for a positive role model.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
7/25/13 11:32 p.m.

F2, or F2T, that is the question.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
7/26/13 2:05 a.m.
Cone_Junky wrote: Meh. PR move on Mazda's part to refurb a car for someone who could afford to do it themselves. But he is famous, so everyone gets to hear how "awesome" Mazda is. Let me see them do that to some poor working stiff that NEEDS that car to provide groceries for their family.

I completely disagree. Do it for someone famous who could afford whatever they wanted to but choses to drive that car, and its good publicity and they will likely take care of it, the type of person who needs the car just to take care of their family is also the kind of person who will have better things to spend money on than taking care of the car. Then when pictures of it sitting in a self service junkyard in a couple years show up on Jalopnik, how will that look for Mazda? Not so good lol.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/26/13 6:06 a.m.
oldsaw wrote: It's good PR for Mazda but the NFL needs to put Mr. Morris on a pedestal and bow before him. That's one organization in desperate need for a positive role model.

+1

octavious
octavious Reader
7/26/13 6:29 a.m.

I read it that he was having Mazda restore it for him, not that Mazda was footing the bill.

Cool story.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
7/26/13 6:33 a.m.
pres589 wrote: F2, or F2T, that is the question.

F2T cause boost is addicting. He'd sold it by now if it was a N/A car.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
7/26/13 6:58 a.m.

I wonder if the truth of this story got garbled up due to the less-than-precise writing we see so often in journalism these days. It could be that the guy is paying a dealership to refurbish his car, 'cause he's got the dough to do that, and Mazda Corporate has nothing at all to do with it. Also, saying "Mazda has my car" when the meaning is "The Mazda dealership has my car" would not be irregular, within a certain dialect, which this football dude may be accustomed to speaking in.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
7/26/13 8:04 a.m.

In reply to moparman76_69:

You know, an F2 powered manual trans GD chassis Mazda should be one of those crazy long lived vehicles as long as rust is kept at bay. If the trans ever goes I'd try to find an H-type and have it rebuilt by someone that knows what they're doing, just to try and add more beef to the system.

I really wish they had brought the wagons here.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
7/26/13 11:10 a.m.
Also, saying "Mazda has my car" when the meaning is "The Mazda dealership has my car" would not be irregular, within a certain dialect, which this football dude may be accustomed to speaking in.

Why dont we make some more sexual orientation jokes while we're at it. Or stop hiding behind insinuations and just say 'black people cant talk right'. Unless, that is, you dont want people hearing you say such things, in which case you might not want people hearing you MEAN such things, either.

who, like Warren Buffet, isn't going to wash his kids with the money he earned. Teach them to live by meager means. It makes them real people.

You should look into the grandkid he disowned. He has his beliefs about family and i dont particularly disagree with them, but when your conviction to not raise your kids with a certain view on money gets mixed up with disowning them if they make relatively benign judgments about YOU and YOUR money, it's not exactly the most constructive form of paternalism.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
7/26/13 11:20 a.m.

Don't get me wrong. I applaud Morris for hanging on to a reasonable car and not spending his complete signing bonus at a Lambo dealer.

You don't see many humble NFL players.

The story led me to believe that Mazda is footing the bill for the refurb. It's obviously a PR move because the guy could afford to maintain that vehicle all he wants. If they did this for Joe Schmoe nobody would know except them.

I see this as "hey, not all NFL players are juvenile d-bags" rather than Mazda is such a wonderful car company because they restore cars for rich guys.

beans
beans Reader
7/26/13 2:47 p.m.

http://www.complex.com/rides/2013/07/ludacris-93-acura-legend-has-more-than-244000-miles-on-it

Ludacris loves his Legend. Luckily he took those E36 M3 wheels off it.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/26/13 2:53 p.m.

Love the fact that he doesn't feel the need to be a "baller" in a jacked-up Escalade, or Lambo. The NFL needs to bring more attention to guys like this.

Chad Pennington had a similar story. Even after he became a starter for the Jets, he was driving around in his crappy old 80's GM sedan. I hope he was smart with the $$ he did make, as I'm pretty sure he's out of football now.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
7/26/13 3:22 p.m.
octavious wrote: I read it that he was having Mazda restore it for him, not that Mazda was footing the bill. Cool story.

That is how I read it too.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/13 4:21 p.m.

I don't care who's paying, I still think it's cool that Mazda agreed to work on a 91 626 in the first place!

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
7/26/13 6:18 p.m.

While it isn't news that he is still driving around that car (it's been mentioned a few times on here before I believe), the NFL def needs focus on gentlemen like this. Plus he's from one of the many schools I dumped money into, FAU!

Really, ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC Sports, CBS Sports, etc all need to focus on modern players like this and not all of the scumbags and negative things that happen in the sport. It's very rare to turn on Sportscenter or a similar show and actually see a positive story about a major athlete. 90% of the stories unrelated to an actual game deal with the negative aspects of the players.

I highly doubt this even made a squeak on sportscenter but very awesome and I applaud him, E36 M3 I can't even keep a car for more than a few months. I wish I could be more like Mr. Morris.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9b1QW1JROm0D7GPZTGRCXQ6EtLUAOZ9lo5adve0yPbojVTnTOLOY2FKi6FjyNG5m