1 2
glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/16/19 11:31 a.m.

Love the pics like that in the wash bay.  Kinda like, holy crap, I started washing it and it started changing colors......

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/16/19 1:01 p.m.

well, just read through the Gastropod rules again.  250 tw tires.  hmmm.  I ve got a set of miata wheels with some nice 200 tw.  If I want to keep this thing Gastropod, I'll have to stick with whatever junk rubber came on it.  more investigation is needed...

Whats the hot ticket 250 tw tire?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
9/16/19 1:37 p.m.

The problem is there aren't many 250TW tires in a 15" size. In 205/50/15 the Yokohama Advan Fleva V701 is the lowest Gastropod tread wear Tire Rack lists. With a goofy name like that it must be fast, right?

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
9/16/19 1:50 p.m.

Be like me and embrace the suckitude of 740TW. Dangit, I need to not be the only person on totally crap tires. laugh

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
9/16/19 3:04 p.m.

Yokohama Advan Fleva V701 is the lowest Gastropod tread wear Tire Rack lists. With a goofy name like that it must be fast, right?

If i had those i would certainly refer to them as Fleva Flev's.  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/16/19 4:32 p.m.

Scan the Spyder boards, see if anyone is offing a Superchip cheap

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
9/16/19 6:07 p.m.

Those mr2s are autocross beasts.  I bought a 2002  recently  but it was just outside challenge money...

It had the world's worst top on it but only has 115k and drives great, so I couldn't pass it up.

I can attest that these are much harder to swap out than a miata top...

Great gastropod choice, my NX2000 is a little nervous!

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/16/19 6:18 p.m.

Lol! Nice pickup. My top is in better shape than that but not by much. I’m thinking I’ll just take it out completely for the challenge. 

Edit: by “swap out” do you mean bolt and un-bolt? Or change the canvas?

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
9/16/19 7:11 p.m.

New canvass...

Also if your seats are jacked up like mine look for celica seats in a junkyard.  I picked up 2 for $30.00 apiece.  You need to swap to the mr2 mounts but it's a bolt together affair.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
9/16/19 7:17 p.m.
slowbird said:

Be like me and embrace the suckitude of 740TW. Dangit, I need to not be the only person on totally crap tires. laugh

I'm running 500 TW all seasons, so you aren't alone.  Let's just have fun this year wink

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/16/19 7:21 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

My seats are rough. Thanks for the tips!

im guessing it’s this gen I’m looking for?

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
9/16/19 7:30 p.m.

Yes, there were no mr2s in my local yard but there were four of those.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/16/19 8:51 p.m.

Paint the rest of the car with blue making tape.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/17/19 9:17 a.m.

The plan has recently crossed my mind to “kart” this thing after the challenge, like is the current trend with miatas and others. A mid engined kart sounds pretty rad to me!  Like a miata kart, but...better. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/22/19 4:27 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

I did the celica seat trick - man I’m loving the results!  These are nice!  I decided to remove the haggard soft top and my car came with no carpet, so unfortunately I’m out of Gastropod. But that’s ok, I’m liking the direction and I like soft tires. I’m debating stripping the car into a “kart” but I’m not sure the body panels really have much weight. My wife wants the give the car a paint job with house paint and brushes like we did on my circle track car. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
9/22/19 9:03 p.m.

Great, now I'm gonna have to search craiglist and FB Marketplace for more MR2s...

Someone correct me but, isn't a properly spec'ed ZZW30 like one of these one of the few 'cheap' cars that can beat an equally-spec'ed miata?

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
9/22/19 9:33 p.m.

That things i awesome! Great Buy!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zJmaZl6YhxEXWBqkTrwOJmcyccx6UBId5RbwQnZg8EPbLRZ4yzSbYLbvgEY9deD8