Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
6/22/14 10:45 a.m.

Next month we have a 1,000 km race at Castrol Speedway in Edmonton, basically a Chump/Lemons event with no budget cap and GT1 to ITC cars allowed. We will be in a E36 318is, so too much horsepower is not a concern. Asphault is a year old, only one really slow chicane, two 180s, one banked, and the way the summer has gone, I would almost expect rain. So...

Hankook Ventus R-S3, Falken Azenis RT-615K, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, BFG Rival, something else.

The above would pretty much be the choices, would they not? Any chance of rain is going to drop the Rival off the list, I'd say. Any one of them should last the 10ish hours we will be out there.

Is there a clear choice, or do we go shopping based on price?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
6/22/14 10:49 a.m.

I've tracked both the RS-3 and DZII. The DZII is supposed to be the updated version of the star spec. With that being said, I'd still take the Hankooks any day. They lasted me two track days, 14 autocross events, and about 20k miles of regular driving.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/22/14 10:54 a.m.

I think the Z1SS or Rivals would survive as well. The RS3 seems to like higher temperatures better than those two though, and could be the best in the rain.

carbon
carbon HalfDork
6/22/14 7:05 p.m.

how about toyo ra1s? Theyre sticky and long lasting.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/22/14 7:09 p.m.

Any reason we're just looking at street tires?

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
6/22/14 7:48 p.m.

You're saying that slicks can last for 1,000km?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/22/14 7:49 p.m.

RA-1s at full depth in the rain, Toyo RRs or Nitto NT-01 in the dry would be my 1st pick for a sticky budget race tire.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/22/14 10:16 p.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: You're saying that slicks can last for 1,000km?

Toyo RR or Maxxis RC-1 should do it. There's probably others as well.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
6/22/14 10:30 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Any reason we're just looking at street tires?

Don't want to buy 2 sets, mostly.

trucke
trucke Reader
6/23/14 7:47 a.m.

RA-1's last and last. Even better, they are consistent from beginning to end.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh HalfDork
6/23/14 8:13 a.m.

The Hankook C71s should last that long as well. We ran the VIR 13 hour with them on an ITB Honda and while we changed tires halfway through, we really didn't need to.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
6/23/14 8:25 a.m.

I ran shaved Toyo RA-1s for almost 3 seasons on my SpecMiata. That was 18 race weekends, qualifying and 3 races per weekend.Laps would have been about 50 per weekend on a mile and a half track, so there's your 1000 kilometers. They would be my first choice.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
6/23/14 8:29 a.m.

I've used up a lot of race tires, but my knowledge is based off "Neon on old pavement" - RA1s are good for about 4 hours, kooks a bit less. Hoosiers maybe 2 hours if you rotate them carefully. BMW on fresh track might be a different story.

Leafy
Leafy Reader
6/23/14 11:24 a.m.

R6s should take that. Or BFG R1 if you're on the heavy side for the amount of rubber you're trying to fit. Actually, I bet Hoosier R100 slicks would be fast enough over the R6s to justify the possible 1 tire change required. 4 seconds a lap adds up over a lot of laps, and its takes like 5-10 minutes to change tires, could work out.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
6/23/14 6:17 p.m.

Federal 595 is the popular lechump tire IIRC.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
6/23/14 6:21 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: Federal 595 is the popular lechump tire IIRC.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone run those in 16 races. The lemons tires to have are the BFG Rivals, Dunlop ZII, Bridgestone re-11a, and the Azenis. I'm partial to the Rivals myself, on the Honda we get 3000 race miles out of them.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
6/23/14 10:24 p.m.
Leafy wrote: and its takes like 5-10 minutes to change tires

I certainly hope not With two people, one aluminum jack, and two electric impacts I can have a car up and down tires changed in a minute, minute and a half to have them all torqued.

The event he is talking about also has minimum pit stop lengths like chump I believe, so you basically have 5 minutes to do whatever you need to.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
6/23/14 10:31 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: I've used up a lot of race tires, but my knowledge is based off "Neon on old pavement" - RA1s are good for about 4 hours, kooks a bit less. Hoosiers maybe 2 hours if you rotate them carefully. BMW on fresh track might be a different story.

We drove thru to the cords on a set of fresh sticker R6s on an E36 in 2.5hrs. They are not an enduro tire at all.

I could see the R1s chunking on you if they were full depth but we have run 3/32 shaved ones a full four hours at a hard pace and then some DEs after that. 2900 E36.

We ran a set of Toyo RRs on a specE30 for four hours and they were awesome the whole time. I'd have run another stint on them and possibly a whole race (except... race was over, and not my car)

Leafy
Leafy Reader
6/23/14 11:02 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
Leafy wrote: and its takes like 5-10 minutes to change tires
I certainly hope not With two people, one aluminum jack, and two electric impacts I can have a car up and down tires changed in a minute, minute and a half to have them all torqued. The event he is talking about also has minimum pit stop lengths like chump I believe, so you basically have 5 minutes to do whatever you need to.

Then spend all the money and run the appropriate heat range hoosier radial non-dot slicks. They're going to be worth like an hour or more of time over the street tire options being thrown out over the course of the 620 someodd miles. If you have a minimum pitstop length and can change a set of tires without going over the minimum then you only need tires that last a single fuel stint at minimum. 2-3 sets of wheels and bring your mounting and balancing machine in the trailer.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GASdQPDtLVl497i3GO2n3AGPvIcu3J4BFDRlj8yzbWVBnhbT06sHO8oHRcxCY3wG