1 2
DrBoost
DrBoost New Reader
7/1/08 12:23 p.m.

Did anyone see this on speed last night?? It was pretty good, better than I expected from Speed to be honest. Anyway, last night was the first episode and they drove 4 cars. 1. Alfa Romeo Spyder 2. Fiat 500 3. Renault R5 Turbo 4. Delorian. 5. Citroen 2CV

I'd like to see what we can come up with for a "must drive" list. I'll start off with some that pop redily to mind (BTW, put a reason for the drive if it isn't obvious)

Bugatti Veyron original mini Cooper (I've owned mine for about 5 years and it never fails to amaze me with it's handling) 289 Cobra 100% electric car (my first time was last week, bizzarly silent) Anything right hand drive with a manual (especially #2 above ;) )

I'm sure I'll come up with more later

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
7/1/08 12:32 p.m.

You missed the Citroen 2CV. ;)

My list:

Original GT40, Mclaren F1, Any Duesenberg, Leno's Tank Car/Blastolene, 1938 Packard Super 8 convertible, The QuadraDeuce, Any Allard, 1965 R model Shelby, Mercedes Gullwing

integraguy
integraguy New Reader
7/1/08 12:47 p.m.

DrBoost....try RHD and a manual transmission, a 4 speed ON THE COLUMN. I did that in a Mazda pickup while stationed in the Navy on Okinawa.

Way back in the mid '90s, the British mag CAR ran a list of either 10 cars you must drive before you die, or twenty five. I don't have the issue anymore, but I remember it because one of the cars they had on the list was a Mondeo. Of the cars listed, I had/still have driven only 2 or 3. I seem to remember the original Mini being on this list, as well as either the 2CV or the original Citroen DS....or Traction-Avant. The Audi Quattro was on there as well...forget which model.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/1/08 1:05 p.m.

A must-drive list and no mention of the Caparo T1? WTF!?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/1/08 1:09 p.m.

Mofos MUST drives: (ones I have driven and suggest)

GEN2 Toyota MR2 with 15" steel wheels and Blizzaks in 6" of snow. Best snow car ever.

Lexus SC300 with the entire contents of any issue of Sport Compact Car thrown at it. 625hp and heated leather... tidy car.

Competitive "Detroit Iron" stock car on 1/4 mile "Toilet Bowl"

430hp Ford Ranger (351ci 5.8L with T5, GT40 heads, 3.73:1 gears)

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air sedan, 500" Reher Morrison built alloy head BBC, Powerglide and a bench seat... Street car ;)

Supercoupe
Supercoupe New Reader
7/1/08 1:48 p.m.

I knew there was something I wanted to watch last nite..

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/1/08 1:58 p.m.

Peterbilt anything. That just seems like fun.

3 cylinder, 5 speed metro (got to drive one a few years ago. Anything that you can drive like a race car on the street without breaking ANY laws is fun to me).

TR6

Viper RT-10

Bugatti EB 110

Lamborghini Diablo

Elise

M Roadster (drove the Z3 variants, now I want to drive Z4)

Corvette Z06 (C6) and ZR-1 (also C6)

Corvette C4

1969 Camaro SS

GT-500 (or GT-350)

GT40 (berkeley Ferrari)

Jay
Jay HalfDork
7/1/08 2:21 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: Anything right hand drive with a manual (especially #2 above ;) )

I drive that to work every day.

My list goes something like this:

Lotus 7 clone
Oldschool muscle car that's had the handling sorted out
Classic LeMans racer (Porsche 908, 917, GT40, etc.)
Some sort of luxury supercar (Ascari KZ-1, Noble M12, Jaguar XJ220?)
Formula Vee, Formula Ford, or some other open-wheeler
Group B rally car (preferably the Peugeot 205)
Something powered by a gas turbine
Classic Land Rover or Land Cruiser in safari trim
A tank ;)
A Unimog
A T-Rex

Let's stop at ten. I could list a whole pile more but if I get to drive all of those (in their natural habitats) before I die I'll be happy.

(Edit: I lied. I took it all the way up to 11.)

J

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/1/08 3:01 p.m.

I think that a Civic Hatch setup for serious autocross duty should be on every enthusiasts list.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
7/1/08 3:49 p.m.

Shifter Kart

73 Porsche 911RSR

Late 80s E30 M3 Touring car

Mercedes AMG DTM car

DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S

Audi Group B Rally Car

Lotus Exige S

Late 60's Alfa GTV Trans AM car

Top fuel drag car

Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale

racerdave600
racerdave600 New Reader
7/1/08 4:16 p.m.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I thought the show was a little lame, from the previews I didn't expect much though. It was still dumbed down for the 90th percentile viewer. Of course I much prefer it over something like Pinks or the 70,000 hours of weekly Nascar programing!

Anyway, my list of 10 must drives goes like this, without any race cars though, as we don't want to kill anyone!

1. Fiat Abarth 850TC
  2. Ferrari 250GT SWB
  3. Alfa Romeo Stradale
  4. Mercedes 300SL
  5. Porsche 550 Spider
  6. '70 Boss 302 Mustang
  7. Tucker Torpedo
  8. Tatra T97
  9. Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B
  10. Ford RS200
phillyj
phillyj New Reader
7/1/08 4:24 p.m.

Add the Mitsubishi Evolution 3. Must drive this.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow New Reader
7/1/08 4:29 p.m.

wow, no miata yet? WTB (what the berkley).. I thought this was the GRM board ??

Type Q
Type Q Reader
7/1/08 5:49 p.m.
Capt Slow wrote: wow, no miata yet? WTB (what the berkley).. I thought this was the GRM board ??

I think we are assuming everyone on this board has driven one or owned one already.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/1/08 5:52 p.m.
Type Q wrote:
Capt Slow wrote: wow, no miata yet? WTB (what the berkley).. I thought this was the GRM board ??
I think we are assuming everyone on this board has driven one or owned one already.

Kinda like saying you need to try eating Pizza before you die.

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
7/1/08 7:50 p.m.

My E30 + S54 swap with a Moton suspension.

TOZOVR
TOZOVR New Reader
7/1/08 9:03 p.m.

1st Generation Taurus SHO...stock, modded, whatever. Like driving something cobbled together in a barn LOL

daytonaer
daytonaer New Reader
7/1/08 10:48 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: Did anyone see this on speed last night?? It was pretty good, better than I expected from Speed to be honest. Anyway, last night was the first episode and they drove 4 cars. 1. Alfa Romeo Spyder 2. Fiat 500 3. Renault R5 Turbo 4. Delorian. 5. Citroen 2CV

This is actually the second show, last week he drove a Chrysler jet car, thunderbird, daytona charger, a Studebaker? I don't really remember.

I'm somewhat disappointed in the show, I was very much looking forward to it. I got a coffee table book for Christmas called 101 cars you must drive and think most of the cars on the show were in the book. Less humor attempts and more car stuff please.

I was really hoping for a "victory by design" type show. Need more driving and less "this is what were going to be talking about driving after the commercials"

They also only talked about the charger last week. Why call it "cars you must drive" if a tv show budget can't manage to afford to drive a charger a few miles, its not like he is beating on these cars, just cruising.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/2/08 12:53 a.m.

hmm... must drive list:

Lancia Delta integrale Evo. Lancia Fulvia Zagato Coupe'. BMW E30 M3. Porsche 911 RS (1973). Fiat X 1/9. Fiat Abarth OT 2000 Periscopio. Mini Cooper S. Bugeye Sprite. Audi Ur-Quattro Coupe'. Alfa Romero Zagato Coupe' 1300. 298 Cobra. Ferrari F40. Split window Corvette Stingray. Dodge Viper coupe'. GT40. VW Beetle (Aircooled, older the better). Lotus 7 (or a well turned out locost)

Luke
Luke HalfDork
7/2/08 5:41 a.m.

Aside from the obvious supercars and sports cars already mentioned, I'd add:

Superb handling FF car, like an old Mini Cooper, 1st gen Integra Type R, Peugeot 205 Gti, Lancia Fulvia, Lotus Elan etc.

Big, scary powerful pre-war car on skinny tires, maybe an 8 liter Bentley.

Abarth spec Fiat 500.

Alfa Romeo Montreal, simply for the sound of its V8 engine.

Citroen SM.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/2/08 6:34 a.m.

What no 158 alfetta? 1.5 liter supercharged straight 8?

or similar racing cars from the 30's-40's

curved dash olds?

model T?

Stanley Steamer?

I know its more esoteric, but those are the roots of modern cars....

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/2/08 7:59 a.m.

Victory by Design is the old Alan deCadenet show where he drives old race cars right? I have the Ferrari episode on VHS somewhere around here, the noise that comes from that show is soul-stirring...

As for 101 cars to drive? Here's a few that I have driven that I think everybody should at least once:

Original Model T (only rode in it, but still a must-do!) Original Model A (an absolute BLAST to drive!) "Hot Rod" (think 32 Ford with a small-block V8) 1959 Buick Electra (you will finally understand "cool") 1968 AMC AMX (390/4-Speed preferably ;) ) Any Corvette (One of every generation would be cool, but I've only driven a C3 and a C4) 55-57 Thunderbird (to complete the trifecta of American 2-seat sports cars) Big-Block 67-71 Mustang (The one I got to drive was a 429CJ 71 Mach 1) Jeep Wagoneer (the original SUV) WRX or EVO 1st Gen RX-7 w/ 12A Any 13B ported/built up in any light car A P71 (just don't catch a ride in the back, ok?) An "old" GTO (64-74) A "new" GTO (04-06) T-Top F-body Any Porsche Any Ferrari (still haven't :( )

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/2/08 9:45 a.m.

Man, if I move to New York, I'll be making the money I need to buy some of these cars, but I won't be able to because owning a cool car in New York City, to me, is idiotic. It's a conundrum.

Add the late 1990s Alfa Romeo Spyder. I think the windshield could go down.

And, of course, the Opel Speedster (which looks an AWEFUL LOT like an Elise / Exige inside).

DrBoost
DrBoost New Reader
7/2/08 12:27 p.m.

Just thought of a few more: Early beetle in the snow Any SWB Jeep in it's element, the Rubicon trail (you will be amazed at the mountain-goat like abilitied of these little beasties) A propane powered hi-lo with the mast (the lifting thing) and the counter weight removed. they can liquify the tires.

Aspen
Aspen New Reader
7/2/08 12:48 p.m.

I watched the 'Bird' show and was disappointed. Superficial and lame. "this hemi is way too cool to actually drive" Who is the host? What are his car credentials? He sucks.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pm6JAglnkMBvXjW85TeJkMHiqSR6UJ8ifV3pafdJ3rwPVfPtFHTL9iWrTvSAFTiA