David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/29/20 7:42 p.m.

Snapped this at Gary Yeomans Honda

Discuss. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/29/20 7:45 p.m.

Gee, it doesn't even include the BS "security window etching" option.  

Could be worse, they could just add a line item for "market price adj"

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/29/20 7:49 p.m.

When I retire I think I'm going to learn how to paint pin strips, fill tires with nitrogen, and install wheel locks. Seems like a great way to supplement social security. 

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
2/29/20 8:11 p.m.

That's not even including the Additional Fees Fee. It's hard work to add up all those extra numbers.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
2/29/20 8:20 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

You're already 74% of the way to filling tires with nitrogen.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/29/20 9:55 p.m.

You should see what Ford is charging for painted stripes on the new GT500. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/29/20 9:59 p.m.

I'd have to tell them to remove that stuff or order me a car without them. 

Then, since they wouldn't be willing to do that, I'd leave and keep driving the same old crap I always do. 

Edit to add: Dealers are the number one reason to not buy a new car. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/29/20 10:56 p.m.

Never have this problem if you can't buy a new car.

Glad I got that figured out.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
2/29/20 10:59 p.m.

Ha! Yep. Btdt. When I bought my Mazdaspeed3 I arrived at the dealership and they told me they accidentally priced the car $2k low and they could sell it to me at the original price but they would add one $1500 worth of interior protectant and door edge guard. I really wanted the car and was able to get it in budget but I should have railed them to honor the price I came in for. Ah well. 
Puente Hills Mazda in Los Angeles btw. Would highly NOT recommend them. I should have done my due diligence but they actively tried to screw me a few times. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/29/20 11:22 p.m.

Who wants pinstripes on a new car?  The lines on modern cars are all wrong.

And yeah, I'd tell them to pound sand, too.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/29/20 11:28 p.m.

Once you show you are willing to walk, their tune usually changes.  I always keep me keys, take snacks and am ready to leave instantly.  They can contact me when they are serious about selling cars.  

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
2/29/20 11:40 p.m.

I just looked at a local dealer promotion for a new Moto Guzzi.

They charge $850 for "assembly and inspection"

'Guzzis are shipped assembled in the crate.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
3/1/20 5:10 a.m.

I think 98% of the time the ball is in the buyers' court. It's just most of that 98% don't act that way.

I walk into a dealership this close to being pissed off and it seems to have worked out well so far.

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
3/1/20 5:52 a.m.

Could be worse.  There could be a $2200 market value adjustment. 

Last time new car shopping with the gf, in 2012, there was all that you see and the market value adjustment. 

We could not make a deal, no way was I letting her pay more than sticker, and she was of the same mind set. We left an offer and walked. 

About a month later out of the blue they called and gave her a number below her offer. I smelled fish, but when we got there it was legit.  

They must have not had enough suckers for the prior month and due to that, way to much inventory. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/1/20 7:01 a.m.
Toyman01 said:

Then, since they wouldn't be willing to do that, I'd leave and keep driving the same old crap I always do. 

Edit to add: Dealers are the number one reason to not buy a new car. 

when truck shopping, a dealer "accidentally" ordered the truck i spec'd out for a quote.  When it came in I got email blast with huge pics.  I said ok let's do it, and when they sent over the invoice there were $2500 in dealer extras.  Spray in bedliner (more $ than factory and I specifically didn't want it because I don't like grippy beds), rear tinted windows (which are factory almost limo tinted already), cheesy door edge guards.  Mind you i was recommended to this dealer because they "hook up" the racers.  The hook up was $800 off sticker and then $2500 in grossly marked up add ons I didn't want.  When they said they wouldn't remove the $2500 I told them to never contact me again and got similar truck for 13k off sticker elsewhere.  Some hook up. 

We may be shopping in the spring, and I'm just going to go to autotrader and email the internet sales guy of all the ones Carli wants and tell them I need their best out the door price for someone with 840 credit and will not sit around a showroom for hours.  Then I'll send those to the local dealer I want to buy from and see if they'll transfer the car to them and honor the price.  I'm trying to push for no new car shopping but she's in love with black on black on black charger scat packs, and it's hard to argue with a wife who wants something that rumbly and mean

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
3/1/20 7:18 a.m.

I like how the sticker looks like the factory sticker plus the addition of some fuel economy information to make it feel official.  

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
3/1/20 7:46 a.m.

I'm not sure if it's because I live in the Detroit Metro area and there's so much competition, but I've never ever had any of these issues of scams attempted in me. Walk in and either order or look at what's on the lot. See MSRP, haggle, pay, leave happy. Never even been offered Scotchbright, paint protection or any other crap let alone market adjustments or nitrogen. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/1/20 8:49 a.m.

Can't expect to get rid of the 26% other stuff from the surrounding air for free now, can you?

I've seen a bunch of these attempts in the SF Bay Area as well and one would think that they have enough dealers out there to have an incentive to not try and screw over people with stuff like that.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
3/1/20 9:20 a.m.

Our local Honda dealer tries to throw on a pinstripe package. SMH I don't want pinstripes.

Another dealer tried to sell me "dealer name protection" $1295. After asking, "The Dealer Name Protection: Vehicle prep, first oil change, Towing (15 miles), Local Shuttle Service, Loaner Car Program…" These add ons really turn me away from dealers that advertise a low rate. How was a $16250 advertised vehicle going to cost me $22,800? That's some fuzzy math for tax, tags, title. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/1/20 9:31 a.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

That's an interesting offer - does the dealer have so little faith in the vehicles they sell that they have to include breakdown cover?

spandak
spandak HalfDork
3/1/20 11:41 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

That worked well for me. 
When I was shopping for my wife's car (2018 Crosstrek) I got a quote through truecar and had several dealers contact me. Out of 4 only one of them was willing to send me an otd price with the things we wanted. I was happy, we did everything over email, and the car was driven to us. I won't waste time in person anymore, especially around here. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/1/20 2:23 p.m.

Just a reminder, every order through Carvana & similar comes with a side of sweet, sweet dealership tears.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/1/20 2:52 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

The hell is "Dealer Name Protection? "

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/20 6:43 p.m.

Just say no.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/20 6:45 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

Edit to add: That Dealer is the number one reason to not buy a new car there.

Fixed that.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zSssXWaNFtDrwEN8orYsusSU8n7ByH28yfJcdlkjJR2SJ71EPsgcIdGSfYYq2lCw