1 2 3 4
TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
1/19/20 8:49 p.m.

Found a new youtube channel, I just can't stop watching hot wheels race. Its honestly fantastic!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjN5K3IYZgz-vCWhI_DD01A

Thoughts?

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
1/20/20 10:55 p.m.

That's funny. 

Cheapest form of motorsports yet!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/20 11:08 p.m.

I remember my father soldering tabs onto matchbox bodies to mount them to slot car chassis. Not quite the same thing, but I did have some cool, if slow, slot cars

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/21/20 8:17 a.m.
mad_machine said:

I remember my father soldering tabs onto matchbox bodies to mount them to slot car chassis. Not quite the same thing, but I did have some cool, if slow, slot cars

My father was an avid RC aircraft modeler and pilot.  He and a couple buddies founded a company to make specialty items and tools for the hobbyist.  One of the things they developed was a vacuum forming frame that handled sheets of ABS about 10x16.

I used to vacuum form all my Hot Wheels and matchbox cars to make slot car bodies.  They're just about right for HO scale AFX chassis.

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
1/21/20 8:30 a.m.

I'll admit I found 3dbotmaker on Youtube and got hooked.  My wife shook her head and went back to what she was doing.  I think I have been given the ultimatum to NOT send in cars to them.  LOL

I was most impressed with the work they did ont he backgrounds and scenery though.  Lots of extra put in that aspect of it. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/21/20 8:31 a.m.

I love watching those races. So simple, so well produced, and so many unexpected finishes. 

slowbird
slowbird Dork
1/21/20 11:04 a.m.

The professional broadcast TV feel that they put into their videos is probably my favorite part. It makes it feel like a real race, instead of just some cars bouncing down the track and getting lucky or unlucky bounces.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/21/20 11:10 a.m.

Love the track for the 'rally racing'  Do they have a build video for the track/course?  If so I don't see it in their feed.

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
1/21/20 11:31 a.m.

I haven't seen anything about how they build the course.  Just the sponsor of the track.  

It links in with another post on here about making the dioramas.  

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/21/20 11:34 a.m.

In reply to Mike924 :

who makes the track? that's what I was interested in.

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
1/21/20 12:25 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

A company called Magtrack.In fact when I searched for Magtrack I found this:

https://www.redlinederby.com/topic/magtrack-toy-car-racing-system-by-3dbotmaker/3572

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/21/20 1:37 p.m.

That was fun to watch. I watched a bunch of marble races last year sometime. Somewhat similar, but longer tracks and not cars.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/21/20 4:15 p.m.

The production quality in their vids is fantastic. These are fun to watch.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
1/21/20 4:36 p.m.

That is very well done thanks for posting!

TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
1/21/20 10:10 p.m.

I'm glad that GRM also enjoy HotWheels racing

I'll admit that the charm of the channel is how dumb it is but how serious the production is. The details in the track, the videography, the announcing and the insane effort in the production makes it what it is.
If it was any less effort I wouldn't have bothered watching an entire video or ten and certainly wouldn't have shares this joy with GRM

@Mike924, I'll send one in if you do!

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
1/22/20 8:09 a.m.

In reply to TurboFocus :

I'm in how many others from the forum do you think we could get to send in cars and become Team 200xChallenge?

Time to go to WallyMart and sort through the bins.  LOL

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
1/22/20 9:58 a.m.
Mike924 said:

In reply to TurboFocus :

I'm in how many others from the forum do you think we could get to send in cars and become Team 200xChallenge?

Time to go to WallyMart and sort through the bins.  LOL

Wouldn't that be the $2.00x challenge?

cheeky

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
1/22/20 10:05 a.m.

Touche Mr.OldGrey.  LOL

Volksrodden
Volksrodden Dork
1/22/20 12:18 p.m.

I have actually built a track like 3Dbotmaker's track. It's pretty fun and I have build thread on there forum on how I made it. I will post a link when I get home tonight. I think I have a video as well

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/22/20 5:33 p.m.

I found that channel about a month ago and I agree, it's the production of the videos and the commentary that make them. 

Volksrodden
Volksrodden Dork
1/22/20 8:38 p.m.

https://www.3dbotmaker.com/forum/open-track-project/home-brew-ed-wide-track-with-banked-turns

thats the build on my track, can't wait to buy a house and do a bigger setup

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
1/22/20 11:09 p.m.

Thank you for this time waster.

Now thinking which of my son's cars would be best. 

TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
1/23/20 11:41 a.m.

In reply to NoBrakesRacing :

I did a little research, turns out you need to weigh the cars down a little, polish the axles and rub graphite in the wheels to be "competitive"

Lol the guy that runs the channel has a page where he gives competition info. I'll look into it for the 2.00x challenge

TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
1/23/20 11:45 a.m.

In reply to Volksrodden :

Nice set up!

TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
1/23/20 11:49 a.m.

Here is the link to the official rules

https://www.3dbotmaker.com/kotm

I copy pasted the rules below

Vehicle Rules

Vehicle Type

Cars & Trucks must be either licensed manufactured vehicles (Chevy, Ford, Toyota etc.) or models that look like or are based on real vehicles. (e.g. Original Rodger Dodger, Audacious, Bone Shaker, movie cars like the Batmobile etc.) If you’re not sure, ask. 

Vehicle Size

Vehicle Scale: 1/64 (Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Tomica, Johnny Lightning etc.)

Max Width: 33mm. Must fit on hot wheels orange track. The sides of the car should not touch or extend beyond the sides of the track.

Max Length: 82mm

Vehicle Weight

Weight Limit: 65 - 115g

Added weight must be concealed inside of the vehicle.

Outer Vehicle Accessories

Accessories added to the outside of your vehicle like spoilers, engine blocks, decorations etc. are allowed. Accessories must stay within the vehicle size limits

No Sharp Edges anywhere on the car.

No Tape or glue on the outside of the cars.

Lube

Both wet & dry lubes are allowed.

If you use wet lubes, please be sure to wear it in good by spinning the wheels, and wipe off the excess fluid. Run it down your track first before sending it in, to make sure nothing is dripping.

Paint Job & Finish

Custom paint job is NOT required. 

If you’re painting skills aren’t great leave the original paint. These cars are going to be used in a video and we want them to look good. If a car’s appearance is not up to par, the track officials may pull it from the race.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sjH4ZtLz92qCqYQnpRwbalqx1yBSmRFiCjAtJhQHdfyOrtOP1gwjFOVg1vVWAScM