Wonder if this thing still exists?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
6/25/12 10:29 a.m.

Wow.

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
6/25/12 10:30 a.m.

I remember that car w/ color photos from some mag back then, I was so frickin' inspired. Mighta been National Geographic IIRC

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
6/25/12 10:35 a.m.

I still have no idea why the "locomotive" style diesel powered generator and storage batteries driveline got nixed on the new Volt. I thought it was a brilliant re-application of a vetted idea.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
6/25/12 11:16 a.m.

AMC and (IIRC) GM were experimenting with Stirling-cycle engines for automotive use for a long time. Then...radio silence. Not really sure who killed the technology, but like low speed Lister diesels, the Stirling engine seems to have a lot of potential that's never really been tapped. Coupling a Stirling cycle engine/ genset to a battery electric makes a lot of sense, actually, since there's usually some start up lag time for a Stirling and they tend to prefer constant, lower RPM.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/25/12 12:04 p.m.

Anyone else notice the Stirling here runs on compressed helium?

AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
6/25/12 12:23 p.m.

Electrovair 1 was built in 64... they built a # 2 out of a 66 I believe.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
6/25/12 12:30 p.m.

I don't know about you, but I can hardly wait to see which 100-year old technology GM decides to try next!

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
6/25/12 1:15 p.m.

Thats pretty bold that they were using a 3 phase AC drive motor in a mobile application in the sixties. I would have expected DC SCR motor control, which at that time period would have been considered cutting edge tech.

FWIW, there was also a lot of experimental use of hydrogen fuel cells as a power source for electric cars in the sixties. I guess that was good enough for NASA, but not the rest of us. Fuel cells might be the next thing to make a come back though, they are being used as a replacement for lead acid batteries in electtic forklifts.

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/25/12 4:56 p.m.

well duh...

that's the Chevy that Barry (aka Barack) drove in college

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NBMJ96zdRSUFzWULrd8cWHP7YXOyvBKImF2hEE9yk02YaRB07thJJs6evscQKjWW