1 2
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
8/23/16 9:58 p.m.

I am way out of my element on this one, 356 and back or 996 and beyond I am fine but air-cooled and 911 and I don't mix.

Local couple in their 70's approached me though a friend and I have ended up with a 75 911S coupe in my driveway. I did not buy it but they asked me to sell it for them as I have as they say "all those old cars." Just what I needed, I have 10 cars at the house right now.

Its a 75 911S silver anniversary edition coupe with 136K on the clock, they bought it in the late 70's. Still has the pink slip and the note payoff book from 81. Run's and drives nice, stops well, steering is wonderful. Recently went through by Deiter's Porsche in San Diego to make it safe.

Few issues, rip on seat, paint was redone in 81-83 range but very well. Lots of knicks and scratches in the paint but no rust that I can find anywhere. It basically has lived in a garage in San Diego for the last 25 years.

Any idea on value, they got offers from people walking by the garage at 25K a few times but honestly it could be a 15K car or it could be 40K and I would not know the difference. I could price a 356 within 1K but this is so not me.

Things that don't work. Odometer just died like 100 miles ago but in 1997 or so. Battery light is on the dash at all times. Turn signals will cause a few of the gauges to jump around. Everything on the interior needs to be pulled out if you want perfect. Rear applique is broken. I swear the gas in the tank is leaded. Runs a little high on RPM until its warmed up around 1800 or so then drops to around 1100.

Good things. All records back to original, original owners manual, no rust, title in hand and never been hit its entire life.

Any idea on pricing for a quicker sale. I would really like to get this thing out of my driveway but get them a good price for it. I have the original OEM tires and silver anniversary edition wheels plus the 993 ones.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/23/16 10:19 p.m.

Post it on pca.org for 65k

And replace the applique before you do.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/16 10:29 p.m.

I would repair/replace the odometer asap. If it is like the other vdo ones in the 944s it is a gear that broke on it and is easily obtained. The fix is DYI I have been told but never done it my self.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
8/23/16 10:38 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: Post it on pca.org for 65k And replace the applique before you do.

applique is 2.5K for this car. Yeah not doing that. Market says 25K is the price point and I believe that but was looking for more opinions. If I could get 30K for it I think that would be amazing.

captdownshift
8/23/16 10:40 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe:

There are P Car specific dismantlers in SoCal, you won't be paying 2.5k for it.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/16 10:52 p.m.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/911M/POR_911M_BDYext_pg4.htmand scroll down a bit, $462.80.

Might as well get the odometer gear from them when you order, too.

captdownshift
8/23/16 10:57 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Bonus points for linking to a forum advertiser.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/23/16 11:06 p.m.

Narrow body Impactbumper cars have been going nuts price-wise over the last couple of years (as in, good ones can get more expensive than an SC, even though the latter is arguably the better car). I think $25k-$30k is probably realistic, if it was all done you'd be looking a little more. IIRC this car was advertised at $35k earlier in the year and sold pretty quickly.

You said it's got the original (Fuchs?) wheels, does it also still have the dash plaque? Option sticker should read M426, too...

At the $25k you mentioned above I'd be rather interested. Is it in good enough shape to do a 700 mile fly & drive or do the electrical gremlins advise against that?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
8/23/16 11:23 p.m.

Put the originalFuchs wheels on immediately. That alone will add $5k to price. Probably needs a alternator. SeND speedo to north Hollywood speedometer repair to fix odo. Less than $200 for complete refurbish. Does it have thermal reactor emission exhaust still on it? If. Is a clean rust free car should fetch in mid 30s easily.

Non sunroof is a big plu$

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/23/16 11:27 p.m.

Mid 30s would probably require the electrics exorcised and the interior fixed up...

I assume the a/c isn't working? Not that it's easy to tell the difference.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
8/23/16 11:38 p.m.

Put the original wheels back on it and advertise it on pelican parts.com for $27,500 firm and I'm sure it will be sold in 24 hours. That is if you really want it out of your driveway fast

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
8/24/16 7:01 a.m.

I'd be shocked if you couldn't get at least $30k by listing it for $35k and letting someone talk you down. You're not going to sell it to a hard core die hard Porsche guy, but rather someone trying to get into an air-cooled car who is willing to overlook some things in their excitement.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
8/24/16 7:33 a.m.

Bring a Trailer?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
8/24/16 10:43 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: Bring a Trailer?

I hate bring a trailer but it looks like that is the best place to sell it.

FYI anybody in San Fransisco who wants to drive a car down to San Diego for some cash. Give me a ring. (different modern car)

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/24/16 11:30 a.m.

1975, Is that one of the years with the cylinder stud pulling motors?

If so, an original motor may not be a good thing.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/24/16 11:38 a.m.

The usual answer to the the value question for Porsches of that vintage is "more than you can imagine, but not as much as the owner thinks."

DanyloS
DanyloS Reader
8/24/16 8:07 p.m.

Just a thought if the rear applique replacement is so expensive maybe give a mesh insert a try?

Wont be to everyone's taste but looks much better than the cracked piece (personally never liked the factory piece)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/24/16 10:01 p.m.

The cleaner and closer to stock, the better it will do.

I have the Hagerty price guide open now. They say:

Concours: $44,600

Excellent: $33,300

Good: $16,700

Fair: $10,100

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/16 10:53 p.m.

If you were to consider it "fair" I will purchase that at the price David listed above.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/24/16 10:56 p.m.

Yeah, that fair price does seem a little low.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
8/24/16 11:40 p.m.

I did a cursory search on Pelican Parts classified. A few mid-year narrow body 911 targas were in 12-20 $ range but had rust and real mech issues. A slightly nicer than your example 76 coupe was advertised at 30k $. It was posted sold in less than 24 hours.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
8/25/16 7:17 a.m.

I don't think this car is going to be near the problem to sell that wearymicrobe thinks its going to be. The insane prices on the early 911s is going to drag these up. If I was looking for a Porsche, this is close to what I would want, an original survivor. The biggest negative would be if this is one of those that had the stud issue.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/25/16 7:32 a.m.

2.7L impact bumper car used to be the 'meh' 911. I ended up passing on a nice one at $11,400 just five years ago. Stud pulling, thermal reacting, no-ac-having, timing chain tensioner plagued, archaic fuel-injectin, airbox-splodin meh. BUT they're still worth a fortune now. An SC is a better car in every way, so if narrow body impact bumper cars are trading higher, it just proves the Porsche world has indeed gone mad.

It should have the "Carrera" tensioner upgrade and the pop-off valve equipped airbox. If not, do a little research on how to keep from blowing up the airbox if you're going to be driving it.

Bring-a-trailer really is the right place to sell it. Tell the owners you'll split any proceeds over $25k and invest in the rear tail light reflector. IIRC the windshield has to come out to replace the dash...that's where you'll find rust, so don't look. Fixing up the upholstery may be cheaper than you think in So Cal.

I've had very good experiences selling on BaT.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
8/25/16 7:33 a.m.

What are the owners expecting for the car? Will you be getting a cut for cleaning it up and selling it? How much is really in it for you?

I'd personally fix the few easy issues with it, swap the original wheels back onto it, and put it on BAT.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/25/16 7:58 a.m.

Couple other things I noticed-- the right tail light is chipped and the bumper strip has something going on. Overspray? Scrape that off or hit it with some black touch up paint. Cross your fingers and take a peek at the battery box up front.

Oil level -- check with engine on, at operating temperature. My buddy got a great deal on an 89 at a used car lot because someone had topped off the oil tank. Smoked like hell.

Looks like it already has the upgraded 11-blade cooling fan. Look for silver pipes under the crud, along the top of the timing cover for the Carrera tensioners, hard pipe running down the front of the timing cover.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E7fYW1iOATaIE0iQ30GsyuTa1wZrm7mntCNHJtCHyQ9pVdhcD2arIgtqwOugJySN