frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
9/18/21 9:10 p.m.

Starting a casual 3rd place it cruised around for several laps until properly warmed up and then in about 1/2 a lap blew past the previous leaders  and opened up several football fields past the Start finish line.  From then on you could see him easing off.  
   Defeating Corvettes,  Porsches, Mustangs, Nissan GTR, cars as much as 30 years newer or more. 
    Obviously the class of the field, comments by the mechanic were, "it's a wonderfully reliable car. I rarely lift the engine cover off anymore. It's been trouble free since the owner acquired it several years ago".  

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
9/18/21 10:12 p.m.

Leave it to frenchyd to post something positive about Jag V-12s.  Just pulling you chain a little frenchyd.  I enjoy your posts and your appreciation of Jag V-12s.

johndej
johndej Dork
9/18/21 10:25 p.m.

Any modern built non vintage/historic race results wink?

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
9/18/21 10:39 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

Well a lot of the more modern cars were in Group 9. Cars as new as 2017 ? 
There were 320+ race cars entered plus well over 100 cars for the Gathering On  the Green  car show.  
 One had me positively vibrating with excitement. Not a car.  A motor cycle.  Well not even a motor cycle. An attachment on a motor cycle.  A side car. 
 A 1923 side car.  Started a company called Swallow Sidecar. That later morphed into building cars call SS cars. But due to the war changed their name to •••••• 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
9/18/21 10:54 p.m.

this led to 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
9/18/21 11:02 p.m.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
9/18/21 11:07 p.m.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/21 7:26 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

That's an interesting bit of history. Thanks for sharing that! I had never heard of Swallow Sidecar.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/19/21 8:24 a.m.

The answer to Frenchy's ....is Triumph. I have a family friend with a Triumph Gloria walled up in his basement for over fifty years now. He was on the verge of giving it to me some time ago but changed his mind so it is still there so far as I  know.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/19/21 8:28 a.m.
frenchyd said:

This the car? 

I thought it be an XJS broken heart

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
9/19/21 8:39 a.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) :

That is no Triumph Gloria in Frenchy's photo. Jaguar/SS Cars were still buying their engines though when it was built. From Standard....

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/19/21 8:44 a.m.

I wanted to go!  I have no sink or stove so I am spending the weekend working on installing my gas stove and sink/faucet/drain. 

Peter Brock (BRE) was being recognized this weekend at the VSCDA races at RA and Troy Ermish (Datsun 510 dude) was attending with a few cars and there was some big 2.5 Trans Am 50 year anniversary race but I had to be an adult and literally get my house in order.

Then I made a comment to a guy at Menards in the plumbing aisle yesterday and we ended up talking SCCA runoffs, Road America, and Datsun's to make me more wanting to go.........

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
9/19/21 9:20 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

The track has been perfect all weekend. Fall colors just starting to peak out  but still short sleeve weather.  The car show was spectacular. Interesting cars and people. Mostly a crowd of 50's-60's professionals but both younger and older populating the attendance.  
 Same with the race events. Some barely out of high school. But those seem to be learning and no outstanding young drivers that I saw or met.  With 320 racecars it's impossible to check every entrant. 
     Track amenities  continue to improve. While it's always been one of the nicest  race tracks in the county and the concession stands serve fantastic food.  The track itself remains as Cliff Tufftee designed back in the early 1950's 

Unbelievable  fields as always  filled with lustable and rare cars.   A walk through the paddock and you'll find friendly people excited to share their cars. The definition of the right crowd and no crowding  

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
9/19/21 10:07 a.m.
frenchyd said:

Back around the mid 80s we were at the Times GP at Riverside camped near turn 7. We woke rather early to the sound of one of these Jags coming up the front side of the track. No other cars were out and it was dead silent except for one of the sexiest sounds ever to be heard. 

Sound-wise that is up there with the sound of a P51 about 30 feet off the deck full throttle coming pretty much straight at and over us.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
9/19/21 10:36 a.m.

the V12 in that car collects to a single pipe. I don't know if it's done for power or ground effects. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
9/19/21 8:27 p.m.
yupididit said:
frenchyd said:

This the car? 

I thought it be an XJS broken heart

Heh, heh!  I deliberately mislead everyone.  Told the truth but had a little fun too. 
Thanks. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/21 12:57 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I want to say it's for the ground effects. I remember my dad asking a mechanic at Lime Rock when at the time but forget the answer. 

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
9/20/21 2:08 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

You probably are right.  I'd think the exhaust helps pull the air out from under the chassis. And effectively blocks the upper air from tumbling 

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf HalfDork
9/20/21 2:20 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

A single large pipe also takes up less room than 2 smaller pipes. So more tunnel area if those were part of that eras areo. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
osoRvqClxIy4jgDapfWcOQziEnSmYeItyxUjaHqHAnzysNYo0vbVAz7lcVNuowm6