noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/19/12 6:09 p.m.

what fuel injection systems do these have anyway?

Bosch CIS? Or electronic fuel injection? Just wondering...

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
2/19/12 8:56 p.m.

Should be Bosch L-Jetronic. If you look at the ECM under the passenger side dash (above the glovebox) you can check to be sure.

And to answer your quesiton, no there's not a whole lot you can do with Jetronic in terms of adjustments.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i New Reader
2/20/12 12:45 a.m.

I believe it's Motronic.

The E's have an early version that suits their low rpm/economy use (rev limits, flow, ignition).

The i cars use later versions that I think are somewhat tuneable by those knowledgeable (I may be wrong on that).

Several companies make chips for them, and "Mark D" is thought by those on e30 forums to be the best.

There is an "e" chip, raises the red line and improves fuel/ignition curves, supposedly good for 20hp (and with the torque these cars have, should wake it up plenty).

When I find gainful employment, I'll probably pop for one... (I have an 86 es).

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
2/20/12 8:13 a.m.

Correct, it's an early Motronic (basically an L-Jetronic EFI with spark control integrated). These used a trigger that counted flywheel teeth. The 325i went to a later Motronic design with a 60-2 crank pulley mounted trigger that has been used on all subsequent Motronic systems (and is considerably easier to use with most aftermarket EFI).

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
2/20/12 3:21 p.m.

ah, I stand corrected. I thought Motronic didn't come out unti '86 or '87...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7e8iIGQs9pAB1QTQ72KngwGBAQIfpt5vsp8xv50fCq4agCzHY2RZiICWTxWVyI5u