1 2
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/22 8:13 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Galvanic corrosion? Hondas had them too.

If you remove them, the calipers will move further inboard, no?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/22/22 8:15 p.m.

So, stupid question:

How is the spindle attached to the front steering knuckle?  Surely it's not machined from a single casting?

I've jacked that side back up and yanked on the wheel.  There's no noticeable play in the bearing.  I don't know of anything else that could impact caliper to rotor clearance.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/22/22 8:51 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Galvanic corrosion? Hondas had them too.

If you remove them, the calipers will move further inboard, no?

Yes, and I will do that tomorrow.  And while that may "fix" the problem, I can't help but feel there's something else going on here.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/22/22 10:09 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

So, stupid question:

How is the spindle attached to the front steering knuckle?  Surely it's not machined from a single casting?

I've jacked that side back up and yanked on the wheel.  There's no noticeable play in the bearing.  I don't know of anything else that could impact caliper to rotor clearance.

I believe they are actually one piece.  Or, they are somehow welded or stuck together in a way that I can't decipher.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
7/22/22 10:23 p.m.

I think the spindle is bent. It happened at the same time as the subframe bend. Crashing is bad, and frequently things like this take years to show up.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/23/22 10:42 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

I think the spindle is bent. It happened at the same time as the subframe bend. Crashing is bad, and frequently things like this take years to show up.

Yup.  This is the new working theory.  I'll get some measurements on the other side and compare the two.  For now, I'll try removing the "guard plates" and see if that provides the necessary clearance.  Otherwise, I'll need to run the old rotors until I can score a steering knuckle.

Anybody got a good right hand (passenger side) steering knuckle with spindle to sell? laugh

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/26/22 11:11 a.m.

Okay, I removed the guard plates yesterday.  Got a chance to fire her up and take her for a short drive today.  No dragging is evident until you turn the wheel to the left.  Turning left, I can hear a distinct grinding that is not present otherwise.  Given that she seemed fine going straight and turning right, I drove her a few miles up the road and back.  It was good to be able to let her stretch her legs a bit.

So, that brings us to my question "du jour:"  How much should the relationship between caliper and rotor change during a turn?

Presumably, the only source of play is in the bearings.  Probably worth a check for excessive looseness, but none is evident with a firm shake of the wheel with it jacked up.  I guess I should re-acquaint myself with the bearings, as I suspect I would have erred on the side of "loose" over "tight" when I installed them a dozen years ago.

Edit:  I still figure the spindle is bent, but finding a decent steering knuckle for sale is going to be a challenge.  Makes me wish I still had a parts car laying around.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 PowerDork
7/27/22 12:09 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Okay, I removed the guard plates yesterday.  Got a chance to fire her up and take her for a short drive today.  No dragging is evident until you turn the wheel to the left.  Turning left, I can hear a distinct grinding that is not present otherwise.  Given that she seemed fine going straight and turning right, I drove her a few miles up the road and back.  It was good to be able to let her stretch her legs a bit.

So, that brings us to my question "du jour:"  How much should the relationship between caliper and rotor change during a turn?

Presumably, the only source of play is in the bearings.  Probably worth a check for excessive looseness, but none is evident with a firm shake of the wheel with it jacked up.  I guess I should re-acquaint myself with the bearings, as I suspect I would have erred on the side of "loose" over "tight" when I installed them a dozen years ago.

Edit:  I still figure the spindle is bent, but finding a decent steering knuckle for sale is going to be a challenge.  Makes me wish I still had a parts car laying around.

I have the front suspension still present on my 50k mile 89 TII that a tree fell on. If you need the front steering knuckle I can sell it to you.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/27/22 1:29 p.m.

In reply to Mazdax605 :

Thank you, sir!  I'm gonna be tied up for a few days, but I will be so very happy (and grateful) to take that knuckle off your hands, so to speak.  laugh

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DPFid06z41trLcNceD7fMuxv7RcHNe22HxOJuc2547hvXnYhtsbRLgsH209VsUWd