jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo New Reader
10/29/08 9:39 a.m.

hey guys, forgive me, this may skip around a bit, bear with me...ive taken on a new project recently. my old beater Nissan truck is one of the most enjoyable trucks ive ever owned, but the engine needs some help. after 230,000 trouble free miles, her age is beginning to show. the valves tic on startup, she uses a bit of oil, and the (likely original) clutch needs replaced. the truck is a 5 spd, auto hub 4x4, with the VG30E (single cam EFI). i plan to pull the engine to do the clutch, as it seems with all the crap attached to the transfer case that it would be faster to just yank the engine, plus i plan to install headers i got from pacesetter (ebay, actually, $130 shipped) and replace some seals, worn parts, and do some porting.

heres my question for you guys: where are all the VG30 gurus? are there any websites out there that have some real knowledge with these mills? i know its a crap engine for HP, even in the VG30DETT form its not the best motor ever, but i should think i can get some power out of it... also, where can i find diagrams on the heads so i can see how the valvetrain is setup? (all i know is LIMA 2.3's....)

right now im thinking of the following: -pull the heads off, replace the head gaskets, possibly take.010 off the heads for compression. -port the heads some. short side, bowl work, valve unshroud. i can do all this myself, and with the heads off, why not?... -replace worn valve lifters, POSSIBLY add new cams. this is a big cost though, and i dont know if i can afford it. -install headers (that i have) and high flow cat, along with a flowmaster and 2.5 exhaust. -rear main seal, valve cover gaskets, etc etc. -new upgraded clutch. something with a stiffer plate, and a stronger disc material. -port the lower intake manifold -fabricate a custom upper manifold with a bigger plenum area. theres a TON of room under that hood, might as well use it. -bigger throttle body

no motor swaps, no forced induction. id like to keep things simple and cheap, so thats my start list. should be able to keep costs around $1500-2000, if i watch for deals and take my time.

does anyone know if there are any drop in MAFs/computers/electronic upgrades? the stock MAF is like 1.5 inches across the inside radius.

anyways, you all kinda see where im going with this. im looking for a 200HP motor that will make my trail/desert driving a bit easier, and allow me to merge on the higway without getting run over by soccer moms in 300HP SUVs... what i need from you guys is resources, info, suggestions, engine info, parts suppliers, VG30 gurus, and most of all, a few different views of my project.

(keep in mind i have a 350HP t-bird turbocoupe as my primary TOY...the truck isnt a drag projects, just my usual DD)

thanks guys!

-J0N

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
10/29/08 9:56 a.m.

Grab a 3.3 VG motor out of a Pathfinder. There was an article in GRM in '06 I believe of a pretty gnarly little Datsun 510 with a worked over Pathfinder motor.

Sorry I don't remember the details.

jmthunderbirdturbo
10/29/08 10:08 a.m.

well, the issue with the VG33DE's is engine management. like i said, i just dont want do a swap.

-J0N

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/29/08 10:28 a.m.

Have you looked at Jim Wolf Technology?

jmthunderbirdturbo
10/29/08 10:43 a.m.

no, but ill do a goolge search on the subject. thanks.

i have looked at 4x4parts.com. they seem to have some good stuf, but pricey.

-J0N

evildky
evildky Dork
10/29/08 1:26 p.m.

the VG33 is a VG33E not a VG33DE, to my knowledge the 3.3 was only available int he "single cam" variant, the 3.3 latemodel swap is going to be your best bet, there is a company that makes a bolt in 3.3 bottom end, they also offer porting etc http://www.300-plus.com/products.htm and your stock engine managment will work wiht it, but unless you change the managment you won't get full benefit formt he extra displacment, I suppose instaling 10% larger injectors should balance things out about right and allow you to use the extra displacement, or you could just grab the hecu and injectors that came with it

and you can get cams for the the VG30E

and for swapping eingines and parts, the "DE"'s are a completley different animal, they might bolt in but the coolant passages and headbolts are completely differetn the VG30E uses 13 headbolts per head, the VG30DE's use only 8

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/29/08 1:48 p.m.

Try z31.com. That's for the 300ZX, many of those guys really know their way arounf a VG30.

Dumb question: what year is it? I had an '86 which had throttle body injection, that one would have been a tough upgrade. The '88 and later MPFI trucks have a much easier time of it since so much stuff can be borrowed from the 300ZX and Maxima.

EDIT: stoopid me, it's a '91. Duh.

I know you said no forced induction, but on the budget you mention that's the most bang for the buck: get a complete 300ZX turbo and drop the motor in your truck.

jmthunderbirdturbo
10/29/08 2:47 p.m.

yeah, i cant have the truck down for more than a day or two at a time, i need to drive it to work. with the bolt on stuff, i can do everything in one or two days, and be back to work on monday. turbo simply isnt an option, i just dont want the hassle, even if it is cheaper power.

these links are helping me get a budget lined up, though, so keep em coming!

thanks!

-J0N

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
10/29/08 8:07 p.m.

There is plenty of info on the web. Do a google on vg30 or vg30et or z31 and you'll probably find too much info for the engine.

From z31.com:

You can fit a ka24 throttle body to your 300ZX spec vg30 intake manifold. The ka24 unit is 60mm vs the stock 54mm. The specific one you need is from an 89-90 single cam ka24e 240SX with cruise control. It bolts right on. The exit is larger, so porting your intake manifold would be highly advisable.

The stock z31 upper intake manifold is horribly restrictive. You can gain a huge amount of power with a better flowing manifold. Some people have cut open, gutted, and re-welded the stock manifold. Others have fitted the much better flowing pathfinder manifold.

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
10/29/08 9:38 p.m.

The KA24 throttle body is worthless unless you are playing with cams or the intake manifold.

Ask me how I know......

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 New Reader
10/29/08 10:57 p.m.

I should read through the posts before replying

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kY65jbEhtYTkiDSRP6ntQ8r6lsmFKnRlCTDBcG5Dp10iK8AxPyGMcYbDxSh5uaxS