c0rbin9
c0rbin9 Reader
8/1/20 11:53 p.m.

Hey all, I just picked up a '94 Integra GS-R sedan (bone stock in "90s metallic green" from it's original owner) and need to replace the floaty stock suspension. The car has 200k but has been well cared for - pretty much the only thing that hasn't been replaced is the stock suspension. As a side note, not sure if it's the mileage or this is how they were stock but there is a lot more body roll than I expected for an ostensibly sporty car, so much so that the front wheel sometimes rubs the wheel arch when cornering. I'm guessing the appeal of the DC2 is its potential as a platform rather than the car in it's stock form, kind of like a Civic or a 240SX.

The plan for the car is to make it a daily driver/occasional autocross car, so I'm looking for a good mix between comfort and handling. I'm not interested in lowering the car and have been leaning toward a shock and spring setup rather than coilovers, Koni Yellows with Type R springs in particular.

This seems like it would be a good approximation of the OEM Type R suspension, for a nice OEM+ feel. The problem is that OEM Type R springs don't seem to be available, so I'm looking for input on alternative sources for them or equivalent springs. Any input or comments welcome, thanks!

Side note: It's amazing how much like a RWD car this thing feels. No torque steer obviously, during normal street driving I can't even tell it's front-wheel drive. I ran into a nice Evo X while cruising around tonight and felt like a total ricer, in a good way.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/2/20 1:48 a.m.

I just sold my 2001 GSR sedan here . Over 200k miles, none stock. Car never rubbed hard cornering even with oem setup. 

koni yellow + type r springs = made it perfect with the Yokohama ad08 tires 

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/2/20 7:33 a.m.

If you're going to autocross go konis with ground controls. Run a bit softer on the springs maybe and get the biggest rear bar you can.

c0rbin9
c0rbin9 Reader
8/2/20 3:52 p.m.

Koni Yellows + Type R springs looks perfect. Realistically I may autocross once or twice, this will mainly be a street car. Anyone know where to get Type R springs? Google searching has failed me.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
8/2/20 5:20 p.m.

Konis, Eibachs and fat rear bar?

aw614
aw614 Reader
8/3/20 9:23 a.m.
c0rbin9 said:

Koni Yellows + Type R springs looks perfect. Realistically I may autocross once or twice, this will mainly be a street car. Anyone know where to get Type R springs? Google searching has failed me.

I would contact your local JDM importer and get the whole assembly. And then get new shocks as the ones on there may be 20+ years old. A lot of times they'll get rid of them cheap. 

c0rbin9
c0rbin9 Reader
8/3/20 4:20 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestion, aw614.

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
8/3/20 5:54 p.m.

Interestingly, I have a set of rear ITR springs in my garage taking up space. I don't have the fronts.

I have ITR springs and a rear anti-role bar under my Civic with adjustable dampers. I love the combination. The whole thing works together so well. If you track down springs through an importer, see if you can get the rear bar. The front bar is the same size as a standard GSR. It's 24mm IIRC.   

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/3/20 7:03 p.m.

I also have a set of JDM rear tail lights for the Sedan. 

Toebra
Toebra Dork
8/3/20 11:40 p.m.
solfly said:

If you're going to autocross go konis with ground controls. Run a bit softer on the springs maybe and get the biggest rear bar you can.

You will want to reinforce the attachment points for the sway bar if you do this.

I miss my GSR Sedan, had a 1998 that I bought new, had 4 miles on it.  What a great car that was, not a lot of body roll that I remember.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bg3lxX11sJY83s1ESwz7HG4zTXcRMLYFnsqaD3aCz2txRkKLAFUbwBVwW0YKwOfw