1 2 3
wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
11/25/14 11:56 a.m.
MrChaos wrote:
Dusterbd13 wrote: Its ok. On a completely thread-jacking jaunt: if any of y'all come this way, bbq is on me. Piggyback should pass nc emissions. 2k budget should be enough to boost a honda, right?
My car has been inspected recently and iirc it isn't a load based emission test, they just put the tester in the exhaust at idle and make sure it isn't throwing a check engine light, it take like 10 mins max for emissions and safety.

I've been having cars inspected in the Asheville area since inspections started … including the last 15yr of OBDII inspections … and I've never seen a probe type inspection … all I've ever seen is OBDII hook up and go

that said, it's been nearly a yr since the last inspection … have they changed things here this past yr ?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/25/14 12:12 p.m.

in stanly its a plug into the obd2 port. no sniffer, no load, nada. if theres no codes, and all the pids are in place, youre good to go.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/25/14 12:19 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

thinking back I guess I was wrong, here is what one of the inspection sheets they give you looks like(not mine found on google)

as long as you have something that looks like a cat you are fine and the obd2 doesnt pull any emissions codes or any reset codes within the last 30 mins to 1 hour before the test.

MrChaos
11/25/14 12:23 p.m.

also it is not like you cant go to the sketchier parts of town and slip the inspector a $20, I have a friend in Weaverville that hasn't run cats on his 2nd gen lightning for 5 years now and his tint is 100% illegal(5% on doors and rear glass and 20% on windshield)

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
11/25/14 12:27 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: In reply to wbjones: thinking back I guess I was wrong, here is what one of the inspection sheets they give you looks like(not mine found on google) as long as you have something that looks like a cat you are fine and the obd2 doesnt pull any emissions codes or any reset codes within the last 30 mins to 1 hour before the test.

the "looks like a cat" thing …. I realize that the inspector is supposed to put the car up in the air … but never NEVER has an inspector lifted any of my cars in all the yrs I've been getting cars inspected … i.e. they wouldn't have any idea whether or not I have a cat … LOL

MrChaos
11/25/14 12:40 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

at the place I get mine done, sometimes they walk into the oil pit, sometimes they dont.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
11/25/14 9:27 p.m.

Assuming you're retaining the interior, power windows, etc, I think a low 13/high 12 second 1/4 is a pretty lofty goal with a $2k budget.

We hit 12.7 at 109mph in the s00p3rturd, but that was an 1800 lb. car boosted to the berkeleying moon (gauge only went to 15PSI) on drag slicks on a cold night in GA. Granted, that was a D16Z6, and I'm told B series motors love the boost, but still, I don't think you're going to move that much weight with FWD on street tires to a low 13 second 1/4 for $2k "reliably."

That said, junkyard turbo + used nitrous kit would be reliable and fun until it isn't.

OR - K20 swap + spray?

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
11/25/14 9:42 p.m.

shoot .. I've hit the low 13's every time I've ever run …

usually just past the 1/8 mark

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
11/26/14 2:53 a.m.

I'm familiar with inspections as I am a licensed inspector. I just didn't know if anyone had run a jdm ecu and it actually communicate with the dlc as it should. I believe from the research I have done that the aem piggy back should work great. It would be simpler and cheaper if I could run the jdm ecu and the h23a or f20b.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
11/26/14 8:48 p.m.

FWIW: I don't think 200 at the flywheel in a 2700 lb. car on street tires = low 13 sec. 1/4 mile times.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
11/26/14 10:43 p.m.

I have a tubular manifold, turbo, adapter plate for the oil pickup, FMU, and small intercooler for a B series. I will make you a sweet deal on it...

/thread jack

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
11/26/14 10:44 p.m.

very true.....i was thinking cams and full bolt ons for any engine swap. Turbo seems the only way.

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
11/26/14 10:49 p.m.

pimpm3 i pm'd you.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
11/26/14 11:37 p.m.

got it, i will send you some pics tommorow

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
11/27/14 11:33 a.m.

^^^ I love this bar ^^^

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
11/27/14 4:37 p.m.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
11/27/14 4:46 p.m.

I think the turbo is a Turbonetics T3/T4. I have a set of 4 RC Engineering 440 Injectors with the pigtail connectors, a Vortech FMU, a golden eagle oil filter plate (to get oil for turbo without drilling a hole in block), a unknown brand blow off valve, a manual boost controller, and a 24 by about 8 inch by 3 inch thick front mount intercooler. You would need a wastgate, and a generic tubing kit from ebay. All of the parts are name brand stuff not cheap chinese knock offs other then the intercooler.

How does $500 plus shipping sound? A piping kit costs about $80.00 and you can get a new waste gate for around $100.00. You would have a turbo set up that has room to grow and is quality stuff.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
11/27/14 7:05 p.m.

Damn that's a screaming deal. Makes me wish I still had a honda.

And tjparsons, im over in Albemarle if you want a hand. Or need some garage space to borrow.

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
11/28/14 12:27 a.m.

Ok, that sounds like a fair price to me. Let me double check a couple things and get back to you pimpm3. Thanks Duster I appreciate it.

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
11/29/14 8:44 a.m.

Pmd.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
11/29/14 9:35 a.m.

I'll be second in line for that turbo setup if taparsons doesn't pick it up

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
12/10/14 4:50 p.m.

Aaaaaaand I might be third in line. Did it sell?

Jarod
Jarod GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/10/14 5:00 p.m.

Yeah does anyone else have cheap forced induction for a B series?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse New Reader
12/10/14 5:19 p.m.

Wait wait wait... You want a drag car? Boost it. You want a track car, keep it NA. Especially Honda.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
12/10/14 7:22 p.m.

I shipped it out last week. I used the money for a new set of BFG rivals

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tbjGM0VLs4OSDrrh0vpUYTJlc0kbwkJLVWsvZbXWYSTICGQ0MIET68f207XvQs8U