1 2 3
taparsons
taparsons New Reader
12/14/14 8:04 p.m.

@trackmouse I want both. I prefer V8s and rwd. However I stumbled into an Integra...

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
1/2/15 9:10 p.m.

I'm reviving an older thread to ask if I should build an NA engine or turbo it. I bought the mostly complete turbo kit that was mentioned in this thread. I also bought a complete GSR swap (with lsd and a bad rod bearing) for $300. I want to be able to get as much seat time as possible in this car. I don't know much about SCCA and NASA classifications. I have read a lot from all over the web. Honda forums are almost a complete waste as they are mostly teenagers bickering about being the most JDM and have no real knowledge of the interworkings of a vehicle. I earlier stated that I wanted to be able to run 12 second 1320s. However, I made this statement do to the fact that I loved driving my ls1 camaro and I don't really care much for my G35. The G35 handles great and is very predictable but is too slow for my taste and too clean to hack up (and will be for sale soon). Basically I want the car to be quick, handle well, and be extremely fun to drive and still be able to easily accumulate seat time at the track. Thanks in advance.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
1/3/15 6:05 a.m.

even a stock G35 can be a lot of fun at an autocross … the slow you're complaining about isn't nearly as noticeable on an autocross track as it is on a drags trip … even a truly slow a-x car can seem fast … as the different elements come up so quickly

but as to classing the Honda with a motor swap … NASA will require a dyno reclass for your base class, then just follow the points system to see where you end up

SCCA .. even though I've run a-x with them for 12 yrs, I don't have a clue where either a motor swap or the turbo would put you

if all you're going to do is track days, neither organizations could care less what you've done motor wise (no classes in HPDE or PDX, aka track days)

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
1/3/15 9:13 p.m.

Your Integra should be capable of a mid 14 second quarter mile with the GS-R engine. I ran a 14.4 at 96 mph in mine when I was in college. It was a great car, I auto crossed it and did several track days with it. The turbo will be great for the street or drag racing but won't really help in an autocross. If you are looking at doing trackdays or HPDEs the extra heat generated by the turbo is a liability.

As mentioned before you need to figure out what direction you want to take the car. If you a leaning more towards track days or autocross I would stay NA. For a fun street car or drag racing vehicle you can't beat a turbo.

JKady
JKady New Reader
1/3/15 11:19 p.m.

If you want 12's you'll need boost or a K-swap. I have a co-worker that has built multiple 350+ whp Hondas with various combinations of engine build and e-bay turbo kits. His favorite combo is a boosted B18B (Teg LS engine). They're cheap, they're tough and make good power with boost.

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
1/4/15 4:01 p.m.

A lot to think about. Just trying to decide what to do. I was going to either build a high compression GSR or low compression and boost it...Either way I will be able to keep it under 2k for the challenge this year. However, I don't want it to be a 1 race car. I was planning to autocross it until then....

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
1/4/15 11:13 p.m.

Or should I just do a stock rebuild on the gs-r or.....?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/4/15 11:27 p.m.

What about a rebuild that's slightly more than a blueprint?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9xud5Tm4BNHqC5Ycy1AKlZ941jL5gLji9o577gU8yf3ezXmNRd2Qp24FhZw2Z8zJ