1 2 3 ... 6
carbon
carbon HalfDork
5/18/14 8:36 a.m.

"you don't talk about it on forums"

What's up with the whole "dont talk about going fast on the street" thing? Don't tell me that 90% of the people here dont go hard on the street from time to time. I mean I get it, keep it safe, keep it on the track and all that but, it seems like people are hypocritical about it. Are you really telling me you have a favorite road to creep down, going the speed limit, with non enthusiasts in smart cars up your ass wishing you'd get out of their way? I'm not saying that there should be a street racing section on here, just that people should lighten up a bit. It seems like every once in a while someone will say something and the next three posts are people going off on them " I know you're new here but we arent cool with people who go fast on the tail of the dragon".

Who knows maybe I'll be ostracized, but it seems to me if you dont like what people have to say, change the channel.

GVX19
GVX19 Reader
5/18/14 9:01 a.m.

I drive a Yugo From time to time I peg it out in a school zone, But not after 7am and not before 4:30pm

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
5/18/14 9:07 a.m.

I definitely didn't mat the loud pedal in my blue LSC as I merged onto the highway this morning leaving work. 70 mph speed limit.

There's no way I lost traction at 50 mph and got a bit sideways with my foot still on the floor, as I skittered across a mis-match in the pavement leading up to a bridge.

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
5/18/14 9:09 a.m.

I have favorite on/off ramps and short sections of road with corner combinations that can easily be taken at 2x the yellow speed suggestion sign. Nothing at the limit of adhesion though in fact the tires don't even squeal so I am probably at 8 tenths, conditions permitting. A calculated risk based on many trips through that section never "all in" (not fully committed, 8 tenths leaves me room to recover) and definitely not around other traffic. I know where the bumps in the road are and what I need to avoid prior to pushing the envelope.

I have however observed more than one driver way beyond hooning (completely over their head). Tires screaming for mercy (half a turn or more wheel cranked in than needed), or spinning out in front of me or completely missing corners. I can't grasp someone blasting down an unfamiliar road at 11 tenths (alcohol?)(EGO?)(or just plain stupid).

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/18/14 9:17 a.m.

Not sure what you are looking for. Validation that it is ok to hammer it a bit from a green light when there is no traffic or pedestrians or vehicles pulling out of parking lots or driveways? Sure. But please realize that doing this well in excess of the speed limit is dumb. Or blazing away on the interstate at 120. Probably not a good idea regardless the conditions, despite how safe you feel.

The fact is, anyone with a pulse will likely enjoy turning a corner with more speed than you really ought to.. Or feeling the torso pushed into the seat from acceleration. But... And this is my own opinion... it's the shiny happy people who feel the need to cross four lanes of interstate TRAFFIC going 30 mph faster, while their friend trails them doing the same.. That are a problem.

When you are seventeen and feeling invincible, this may seem fun. But it's dangerous. You get reminders of that on here, from grown adults.

We were all kids once. Most of us would consider ourselves lucky to survive some youthful stupidity. When you are thirty years old still doing E36 M3 like that, you need to be called out for it.

/And get off my lawn.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
5/18/14 9:20 a.m.

I attack the hell out of on ramps and wind it out a bit when I'm merging onto the highway and there's no one around. Conveniently these are also places where cops don't camp out.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/18/14 9:26 a.m.

I rallycross. Because they kick you out of track days if you drive at 120% and drifting sucks because you have to hang out with people who think stance is too functional to be cool.

carbon
carbon HalfDork
5/18/14 9:27 a.m.

I'm not looking for anything but people to be reasonable. I think if there's something that should be said to people about this subject, it's to keep it within your skill level and be mindful of conditions, surroundings and consequences, and dont collect anyone else if you run out of talent.

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
5/18/14 9:31 a.m.

I drive fast within the law. My max speed is 5 over the limit on most roads and 7 over on the interstate. I always seem to accelerate twice as fast as other cars without even trying.

If I can see around a sharp corner I will take it as a safe speed, which is twice as fast as normal people but within the speed limit. If I can't see I drive as fast as I can stop which is 1/2 the speed of normal drivers. If a tree is down in the road I stop for it, other people just run into it. People following my car might notice how I slow down on the straights and accelerate on the corners.

I stop for all stop signs and red lights. Normal people seem to hate this and sometimes run into my car. A flashing center brake light seems to help a lot.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
5/18/14 9:32 a.m.

In reply to carbon:

OHSCrifle said: Not sure what you are looking for.

Put me in the same camp.

carbon said: It seems like every once in a while someone will say something and the next three posts are people going off on them " I know you're new here but we arent cool with people who go fast on the tail of the dragon".

Maybe a more correct interpretation would be "We aren't cool with people who go irresponsibly fast on the street." Irresponsible is a subjective term but if anyone can't figure out the possible consequences (for themselves or others) when pushing the limits, they risk labeling themselves as "that guy".

carbon said: it seems to me if you dont like what people have to say, change the channel.

That's worthy advice and applicable to those who offer it, too.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/18/14 9:35 a.m.
carbon wrote: I'm not looking for anything but people to be reasonable. I think if there's something that should be said to people about this subject, it's to keep it within your skill level and be mindful of conditions, surroundings and consequences, and dont collect anyone else if you run out of talent.

That's very reasonable. But typical youthful hooning (typically) lacks the "mindfulness" you speak of. So it's easier to say "take it to a track". I guess that's why it's a taboo subject.

bradyzq
bradyzq Dork
5/18/14 9:49 a.m.

Another reason, that has nothing to do with whether or not anyone actually does drive fast on the street, is that writing about your feats can be incriminating, specifically to the poster, and generally to the forum.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/18/14 9:54 a.m.

I like to get a load on and speed indiscriminately thru school zones while shouting racial epitaphs out the windows. Is that more of what you were looking for?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
5/18/14 10:09 a.m.

You ever see a van with ladder racks do 90 down the interstate?

Uhhh....neither have I.

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
5/18/14 10:41 a.m.

I can't speak of the hooning I have done.

You will either think less of me or call BS.

No cars were destroyed, felonies committed, or small animals injured during these episodes.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
5/18/14 11:18 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I like to get a load on and speed indiscriminately thru school zones while shouting racial epitaphs out the windows. Is that more of what you were looking for?

I doubt he's exaggerating.

DavidinDurango
DavidinDurango Reader
5/18/14 11:29 a.m.

My rule is: never break a law if someone can see me.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady HalfDork
5/18/14 11:37 a.m.

This is the part where having an old, slow car with skinny tires is fun as all hell.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/18/14 11:44 a.m.

In reply to RoughandReady:

or a car slow enough to where you are still below the speed limit whilst going 10/10ths. aka 1.0 geo metro.

RoughandReady
RoughandReady HalfDork
5/18/14 11:53 a.m.
MrChaos wrote: In reply to RoughandReady: or a car slow enough to where you are still below the speed limit whilst going 10/10ths. aka 1.0 geo metro.

Taking my 2 ton 300SD around a corner at 30 mph with a clapped out suspension will get your heart beating.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
5/18/14 11:55 a.m.

When I was young I learned not where/when innocents can get hurt or interfere. Yeah, still have some stretches when no one is around I'll push it a bit. Usually it's only about 5 over max and slower than limit around schools and in neighborhoods with young kids. I usually get passed by vehicles that have no business going as fast as they are and I drive an red RX8. Which is another reason I don't push it often, when you drive a visible, fast-looking car it seems to draw attention.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
5/18/14 12:07 p.m.
carbon wrote: Are you really telling me you have a favorite road to creep down, going the speed limit, with non enthusiasts in smart cars up your ass wishing you'd get out of their way?

Actually, yeah. I do not speed. That being said, I also don't slow down for the vast majority of corners. I accelerate to the limit as quickly as reasonably possible, and then, more often than not if the road is straight, set the cruise at an indicated 2 over because my MINI's speedo reads slightly fast.

Thursday, I was taking my normal route to work, which has one good turn right before it goes from 40 to 35mph. I was cruising at 40 with a Dodge Ram behind me, right on my ass. Corner comes up and naturally he falls way behind (although back when I had my F150 this was still a no-slow-turn) and then BLASTS up the road to get five inches behind me again. The rest of the way is all 35 so twice I tried to wave him on in the passing zones.

He was behind me until my next turn and then when I got into my left turn lane, he honked, gave me the finger, and shouted obscenities at me. I didn't cut him off. I didn't jack on my brakes. I didn't do anything remotely offensive, except for the personal affront of having the nerve to be in his way without speeding.

So, yeah, that is exactly how I drive on the street. Speed limit, constantly, regardless of the shape of the road.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
5/18/14 12:11 p.m.

I certainly didn't notice that my new z-rated tires produce a slight vibration at 121 mph. And assuredly are NOT bringing the car in for an re-balance and alignment check this Tuesday.

I NEVER travel beyond the posted safe speed limits, anywhere.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
5/18/14 12:38 p.m.

No cop was ever born who isn't a sucker for a finely-executed hi-speed Controlled Drift all the way around one of those cloverleaf freeway interchanges.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/14 12:55 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I like to get a load on and speed indiscriminately thru school zones while shouting racial epitaphs out the windows. Is that more of what you were looking for?
I doubt he's exaggerating.

The school zone bit surprised me, I would have guessed playground.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rPlE8YHcOahOYRTHHOVIVGbhdtACY3v9CX6WIjqTLFD79QVXkIpQtLahMvEt9XL9