1 2
Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/15/22 7:22 p.m.

Bored and looking at Facebook Marketplace for cars again, this popped up about 2hrs away.  She said $2600 but would take $2400 (I tried $2k, no dice.)

I looked up a review on Youtube and some links, apparently the 2ZZ engine and 6sp were fairly nice for the year 2000.  I'm thinking maybe I don't want a $500 E36 M3box and perhaps something in better shape is a better idea (for me, the mere mortal with civilian tools and basic know-how.)

I know anything can be a rallycross car, but would this be at least interesting?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/15/22 7:25 p.m.

The 2zz isn't a terrible engine. There was trd bits available for it, including a supercharger. I always thought these looked cool, as long as I didn't expect it to set my pants on fire 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/15/22 7:31 p.m.

Good deal. The 2zz / 6 speed combo is always desirable for mr2 spyder swaps. Keep in mind it requires premium gas so costs more than you'd expect to keep it fed. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/22 7:35 p.m.

They're really good handling cars too. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/15/22 7:36 p.m.

Good cars. However, looking at both rear fenders - I would run the heck away. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/15/22 7:46 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

That's what 20 year old Jap tin looks like in Ohio.

How many miles? 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/22 7:47 p.m.

Why?  That is incredible for a 22 year old Toyota.

The engine itself is worth more than the asking price.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/15/22 7:48 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Why?  That is incredible for a 22 year old Toyota.

The engine itself is worth more than the asking price.

As someone who plays with 30-40 year old Toyotas all day, that is my opinion. Then again, I also don't live in Ohio. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/15/22 7:49 p.m.

True.  OTOH the only people who play with 30-40 year old Toyotas around here are rich Puerto Ricans.  They are the only people who can afford, and would be willing to spend that money on, cars like that.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/22 7:52 p.m.

I can't get the engine and trans that cheap.  I've considered it for my MR2 post challenge.  It should give an MR2 Lotus Elise type performance.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/15/22 8:01 p.m.

The rust ...surprise

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/15/22 8:01 p.m.

218k miles so it's up there.

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
1/15/22 8:09 p.m.

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
1/15/22 9:09 p.m.

My experience with that drivetrain was in a Matrix or Vibe GT, and as much as I was a Toyota fan, having loved my AW11 MR2... the 2zz was really poorly suited for that car.  Once on the cam, it was fun albeit not terribly quick. I'd expect the Celica to be considerably lighter and more fun though. 

Test drives only cost you time. Drive it and see if you like it? If you don't, you'll never know.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
1/15/22 9:39 p.m.

I remember Car & Driver raving about "go cart like handling" back in the day when they were new.  Cool cars for sure.

andy_b
andy_b New Reader
1/15/22 9:48 p.m.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  I love the 2zz/c60 drivetrain.  As others have said, the drivetrain is worth more than the whole car to the MR2 crowd. But personally I'd buy and drive.  Some mild suspension upgrades (H&R'S, Koni's, and camber/caster plates) and you can tune the Toyota beige-ness out of the handling, making it feel like a much sportier car than you would expect. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
1/15/22 10:39 p.m.

In reply to Jerry :

I have a friend who regularly rallycrosses a Celica in Edmonton , Alberta. He does very well with it.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/16/22 8:47 a.m.

I don't have time today, if it's still available next weekend I think I'm making a trip to Columbus.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
1/16/22 6:37 p.m.

Looks good to me. Red is the color for a Celica of those years IMHO.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/16/22 7:02 p.m.

One if my buddies had one years ago, that engine responds fantastic to a header and tune.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/22 7:17 p.m.
Jerry said:

I don't have time today, if it's still available next weekend I think I'm making a trip to Columbus.

If you buy it and hate it, I will buy it from you at a later date for the same price just to have everything needed to swap into an AW11.  Deal? 

andy_b
andy_b New Reader
1/16/22 7:29 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:
Jerry said:

If you buy it and hate it, I will buy it from you at a later date for the same price just to have everything needed to swap into an AW11.  Deal? 

Dibs on the wheels. I'd love a set for my 2zz swapped Corolla. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/22 7:29 p.m.

On dirt there shouldn't be enough grip to cause enough lateral Gs to cause oil starvation issues. Rallycross is a properly suited purpose. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
1/16/22 9:55 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

On dirt there shouldn't be enough grip to cause enough lateral Gs to cause oil starvation issues. Rallycross is a properly suited purpose. 

There is a local who gave up on rallycrossing an older Civic when he was going through approximately one D16 per session due to oil starvation.  Usually it would have a bad knock by lunchtime and it would go home on the trailer.

He traded up to an R53 which turns out to be mind bogglingly fast (a front drive car should NOT be able to rotate and/or accelerate like that!) but problematic in new and interesting ways.

I've measured consistent .8g cornering with spikes to 2.0-2.6g.

Speaking of rallycrossers, I think Mike Golden's AW11 had a 2ZZ in it, and I know Draco was looking into a 2ZZ for his MR-S.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
1/16/22 10:39 p.m.
andy_b said:
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:
Jerry said:

Dibs on the wheels. I'd love a set for my 2zz swapped Corolla. 

This sounds like a gentleman's agreement more binding than a pinky swear. And if I can find steelies with snow tires I will glad sell the wheels.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R9cjviafnf7rFKbO9pGBx4YSXQy1hU4uI2FkSiZ92sH34jEaTxs55FRv3gJEZ7zV