1 2 3
Dootz
Dootz Reader
4/4/20 6:38 p.m.

-Gen 7 Accord V6

-TL Type S (both the '02-'03 and the '07-'08 cars)

-Mazda6 V6(Gen1 and Gen2)

-Lincoln MKZ (perhaps an AWD should it be found)

-Altima '05-'06 3.5

-Maxima gen 5.5 w/ the 3.5

-2GR Camry (though I'm sure nobody's picking this outside of straight-line fun)

-Gen 2 Solara with the 3.3 3MZ

-Saab 9-3 2.0T (maybe even the 2.8T if it's not horrendous on reliability)

-Wildcard Avenger 3.6 from 2011+ (yeah yeah I know, FCA bad or whatever)

Who'd you take as the best daily with good handling options from the aftermarket?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/4/20 6:42 p.m.

Gen 1 Mazda 6 was sold with a manual transmission. 

Ford Flex

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/4/20 6:53 p.m.

TL Type S with 6sp manual

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/4/20 6:59 p.m.

TL Type S  or V6 EX-L Accord. Manual trans available in both if preferred, I liked the last J powered auto Honda I drove a lot though.

TL if you want the bigger brakes and LSD. Accord is fine if you don't care.

Run_Away (Wears Clogs)
Run_Away (Wears Clogs) GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/4/20 7:07 p.m.

What transmission are we talking?

I'd go the later TL if stick and 02-03 Maxima for auto. Are they really in the same price bracket though?

2006-2009 Impala SS

*Spare transmission(s) not included

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
4/4/20 7:31 p.m.

97-03 Pontiac Grand Prix with a f40 trans swap. Throw the small Eaton blower away for a turbo.

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
4/4/20 8:04 p.m.

In reply to Dootz :

07-08 TL Type S with the 6 speed for me. It does everything right and has solid aftermarket support.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/4/20 8:10 p.m.
yupididit said:

Ooh! Can I change my answer?

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/4/20 8:25 p.m.

2002 Lincoln Continental, but not because it's the best or even good. Just because I like it, and because DOHC V8.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/4/20 8:30 p.m.

TL Type S 6spd and Maxima are the only cars on the list with a limited slip.

I'll take the TL thanks.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/4/20 9:03 p.m.

5.3 Monte Carlo, if you can stand the appearance, the GM handling etc.  More motor than you are likely to find elsewhere.

I drove an 05 Ser Altima with a 6 speed for a while.  It was a gosh darn quick front drive sedan.

ChrisLS8
ChrisLS8 Reader
4/4/20 9:15 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

TL Type S 6spd and Maxima are the only cars on the list with a limited slip.

I'll take the TL thanks.

I like both of these. Bonus if you can find an Altima SE-R

What is the goal?  Is it to have your cake and eat it too?  Seriously a FWD family sedan is not going to be an autocross killer.  If you get it to killer status, it will make a horrible family hauler.  

If a family hauler, with low maintenance, great on the highway... one answer here.... Honda.

As always, YMMV

I say buy a low cost used family hauler, and with savings buy any Miata.  wink

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/4/20 9:50 p.m.

If those are the only options the TL-s for me. And im the resident Honda hater. My biggest beef with those though are the cramped feeling drivers box. For such a large car it's just not roomy. Functional, yes. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/4/20 10:09 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
yupididit said:

Ooh! Can I change my answer?

Try driving one. Transmission and shifter felt great. An ex-friend had one with a Greddy exhaust. Loved it. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/20 10:29 p.m.

you forgot the Big Saab 9000 and 9-5. Also the VW Passat is a nice option for long distance hauling of the goods

lnlds
lnlds Reader
4/5/20 1:43 a.m.

I contest the rules! If a 1st gen mazda6 which dynos 175-185 whp in manual a 1.5 gen TSX is the choice. Stock dyno for the 6-speed is high 180s whp. Definitely a more well rounded package if you care about handling compared to more nose heavy v6s.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
4/5/20 7:47 a.m.

2012-2013 Impala, the only years with the 300hp 3.6L and the 6-speed auto in the older lighter W-body platform. They scoot, and there is absolutely no flash to give them away.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
4/5/20 8:24 a.m.

There is the Chrysler 200 with the 3.6 pentastar with 295 hp and 262 lbs-ft. They came with a 6 or 9 speed auto. 

slowride
slowride Dork
4/5/20 8:44 a.m.

Buick Regal GS

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/5/20 8:58 a.m.

so, I own a '05 TL 6spd.  they are 90% of a TL-S... plus more common, and half as much last time I looked.

It's like owning a Honda Fit, without the hatch, and a bunch more power.  It's nimble, but it's got heft, so I tend to drive it with softer inputs... letting it take a set so you can get the double-wishbones at all four corners to give you maximum grip.  The brembos on the 6spd and the TL-S can make wheel selection a bit more complicated.  If you're going to take it on track (which it's not clear that you will), then you're going to have to find a way to get cool are to the front brakes.  Pads, fluid, STR shocks, and adjustable upper front wishbones would be a simple package to get a nice handling row-your-own family car.  The LSD makes this car surprisingly well balanced.

dark horse:
20009-2010 Hyunda Sonata V6

~250hp, no honda tax, double wishbones up front, multi-link rear, 100#s lighter, an extra 3.5" of leg room over the TL... and it can cut a u-turn almost 2 feet tighter.

you'll have a harder time finding suspension stuff, but SPC does make adjustable balljoints that should give you plenty of camber.  Shocks/springs are the hard part, currently... and I wouldn't lower it more than .75".  There's a chance to make 'generic' shocks work... but it'd take some leg work to figure out, and maybe some machining.

the extra leg room is nice, if you've got kids in mammoth car seats.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/5/20 9:20 a.m.

You mentioned AWD on the Lincoln, if that's allowed then Mazdaspeed 6. :)

BionicTigerShark
BionicTigerShark New Reader
4/5/20 1:24 p.m.

Was the Olds aurora with the v8 any good?   I just remember they existed but haven't seen one in years.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BosCebW5zSxBYT59J3kvFTlb7Q0njZXcZVgg0L3lnJtM4Xq6f5Qsj5kIcHDw5gBP