AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/26/22 8:04 p.m.

I just pulled the drivetrain out of a nasty old 2001 Grand Prix GTP.  I'm keeping the 3800 SC engine for ...stuff. Are there parts outside the engine compartment that I need to keep to make it easy to swap into a car later? I don't know Pontiacs, but I think it has a version of "Passkey" anti theft. Can it easily and inexpensively be bypassed? Do I need the ignition & key? What else other than the ECU?

4/26/22 8:26 p.m.

After posting, I pulled the whole column. Good? The module is Pass-Key iii.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/22 8:27 p.m.

EDIT: HPT supports that PCM, but you cannot disable antitheft! There is no "None" option.

I think you need the BCM and ignition lock cylinder and the key.

(pedant mode: it controls the engine and transmission, it is a PCM.  Might help you find more info)

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/22 8:28 p.m.

IIRC, you will need the BCM and ECM as they are all VIN locked to the Pass Key.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/22 8:31 p.m.

Further aside, if you do plan on using the GM computer, grab the underhood fuse/relay box too.  It will make wiring a LOT simpler, power goes in to it and then about five dozen identically-colored wires come out to power various things.  It conveniently contains pretty much all relays that the PCM controls.

4/26/22 10:31 p.m.

Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like I have everything now except for the BCM and I'll pull that tomorrow with some of the interior harness before I haul the scrap.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/27/22 12:10 p.m.

Pull the whole dash harness from BCM to cluster to column. Not sure what you will need but easier to cut stuff off later than try to find whats missing.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/27/22 1:41 p.m.

Is that a coupe? Is it rusty?

4/27/22 3:30 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Is that a coupe? Is it rusty?

Yes, coupe. Not rusty. Interior is Very rough, paint is faded, headlights & tails cracked and faded. If you want anything, let me know quick. I hope to haul it for a few $ of scrap in an hour or two. Located in Oklahoma.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/27/22 3:52 p.m.
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) said:
Located in Oklahoma.

Crap. If you were closer I'd be dragging this back to my driveway. I had a 98 GT Coupe for my first car and have wanted to build one of these into a RWD drag car for years. Dreaming will have to continue.

4/27/22 5:22 p.m.

She's gone...

If I had less projects and more time, I might have done something with it or found a good home for it. I even had a plan to make a cool trailer out of the back half.

For now, it's a backup engine for the Fiero (Challenge car) and possible engine for the 4 cylinder 'parts car' Fiero that I hid in back of my daughter's house.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
4/28/22 4:26 a.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

I've got one you can have. Come get it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GAjiDf1o9cD4UmA5XJt6xpE13vD5Xv457UyAT9C7UrunRo6sEKwDgUNahmiujc3u