bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
6/2/15 4:26 p.m.

My 01 Tacoma v6 automatic left the wife stranded for a short while today. She got the truck running after letting it sit for about 20 minutes. The scenario is that she was coming off a ramp at cruise speed, accelerated to change lanes, and when she let off the engine died. I had a similar situation about a year ago. There are no codes and now all seems well.

My instinct is a dirty throttle body and idle air control valve. My logic behind this is on deceleration there is a good amount of fuel in the system and the throttle body and IAC are so gummed up that they cannot compensate causing it to flood. Visibly the throttle body is dirty. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/15 5:29 p.m.

Codes obviously would help. Does it start rite up after the problem. If not does it have spark when it will not start?

AFM/MAf (what ever it has) could need cleaning. Look in it to se if the screen is clear.

If it is ok and the other things you noted are ok I am thinking that it coil be electrical that fails when hot and then cools down and will then run.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
6/2/15 5:39 p.m.

In most cases, the injectors are shut off when decelerating.

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
6/2/15 6:42 p.m.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. The maf has been cleaned recently and there are no visible obstructions. As far as starting right after stalling, it will crank but not catch. I've had to hold the throttle wide open and crank, which led me to thinking it was flooded.

I went ahead and used some throttle body cleaner and a toothbrush to scrub down the throttle blade. There was a good amount of build up and it seemed to idle slightly smoother. Being that it has only happened twice and I can't repeat it I am thoroughly stumped. Overall the vehicle has a lot of miles but I am pretty thorough with the maintenance.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
6/2/15 6:52 p.m.

I gonna go with a tired fuel pump. It over heats, particularly when the fuel pressure regulator bumps up the pressure (when accelerating), and can't provide enough fuel. After it cools down, it works again. It won't throw codes because the ecu doesn't monitor fuel pressure.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/2/15 7:37 p.m.

Loose air intake boot coming off of the MAF when the engine torques over under load?

You wouldn't believe how common this is...

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
6/3/15 6:33 a.m.
iceracer wrote: In most cases, the injectors are shut off when decelerating.

totally shut off ? as in "zero fuel flow" ?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cKcXo6D9vCSlUkijc7AvIpkyNkGpHOzBu7oVtKMLghlJXPZuGKSB4XgQOlEggeJo