MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
2/14/16 3:14 p.m.

Our wagon needs tires bad! It has 225/45/17 all seasons on it right now. We live in FL and rarely venture north so I wouldn't mind going to a summer tire. We average sub 7500 miles a year on the car with the possibility of 10-15k a year for the next few. It will likely never see anything other than spirited street driving and I'm cheap. Recommendations?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/14/16 4:31 p.m.

Cooper Zeon RS3s

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
2/15/16 12:32 a.m.

BFG Sport Comp-2. They'll blow your mind how good they are, and I don't just mean for their price point.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
2/15/16 12:59 a.m.

continental sportcontact dws

chiodos
chiodos HalfDork
2/15/16 9:49 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: continental sportcontact dws

You have these and like them?!? The dw are a nice yet expensive tire. The dws have really soft side walls, don't have as much traction as they let on and are actually pretty expensive. We put them on my girlfriends accord because her dad was paying, they are great free tired but no way in hell I would pay the $700 for them again. They aren't a bad tire, they just aren't great for their price. I pretty much only reccomend them for someone looking for a smooth quiet ride in an awd car that might see some snow but not want a winter tire as well. Op is in Florida so only Ice he sees is in his freezer but they are deplorable on ice. Sorry had to rant a bit.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Reader
2/15/16 6:53 p.m.
You have these and like them?!? The dw are a nice yet expensive tire. The dws have really soft side walls, don't have as much traction as they let on and are actually pretty expensive. We put them on my girlfriends accord because her dad was paying, they are great free tired but no way in hell I would pay the $700 for them again. They aren't a bad tire, they just aren't great for their price. I pretty much only reccomend them for someone looking for a smooth quiet ride in an awd car that might see some snow but not want a winter tire as well. Op is in Florida so only Ice he sees is in his freezer but they are deplorable on ice. Sorry had to rant a bit.

My thoughts exactly. I put them on my Legacy GT Wagon because I thought they would be more responsible than driving to Tahoe on summer tires (which I've done for years BTW without a hint of a problem). My first impression was that they had super soft sidewalls compared to the Bridgestone RE960's that were on the car before. The car instantly felt a couple notches less capable.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UberDork
4/14/16 7:00 p.m.

I found the Kumho Ecsta's to be a decent performer on my old WRX wagon!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
4/14/16 7:01 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: I found the Kumho Ecsta's to be a decent performer on my old WRX wagon!

I heard they wear funny if you don't align the car for a few years.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
4/14/16 7:12 p.m.

Bridgestone RE760. Love them on my WRX. GReat in all conditions except winter, awesome treadwear compared to other summer performance tires, great ride and handling/response, very quiet, and good price. I've used about a half dozen different summers (including low-treadwear ones like Star Specs) and these are by far my favorites.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/14/16 10:30 p.m.

In reply to chiodos:

The main selling point of the DWS is that it's one of the very few all-seasons that is actually quite good in the snow. Otherwise it's pretty unremarkable. DW is a fantastic summer tire though.

Leafy
Leafy HalfDork
4/14/16 10:35 p.m.

The GT Radial UHP1s are pretty bad ass. They were like $55 a tire for the wrx size last year. Grip like RE01Rs, about the same feel and road noise, except they seem to grip well down to like 20°F and havent worn a measurable amount in 6k miles.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
4/15/16 9:04 a.m.

I just bought a set of Nitto Motivo tires for my Mazda in that exact size. Had them on for a couple thousand miles so far. I'm loving them; nice and quiet and they feel pretty good. They also have a 540 tread wear rating but are on the aggressive side tread-wise. They were pretty cheap too.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
4/15/16 2:20 p.m.

I've been happy with Sumitomo HTR A/S PO2.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
4/15/16 4:32 p.m.

Dang theses were $68 each back in November put 4 on the wife wrx wagon

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+S34PV&partnum=245HR7S34PV

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
4/15/16 9:20 p.m.

I've got RE760s on my 03 TS and they've been great tires. Not too expensive either.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r4qFfmcYOLprtoQIMc42TrkuZsa5RT7AQvlWmI1wmErrrPOsky3MeDYaxPSuGJSi