WildMan
WildMan New Reader
6/13/15 9:47 p.m.

So i just picked up a 2004 Audi Allroad quattro. It has the v8, automatic transmission. Its pretty low miles (105,000) and i was wondering if any of you motor heads have owned one, and if you had any problems with it.

Thanks

espz28
espz28 New Reader
6/14/15 9:30 a.m.

What you have done with this purchase and question is cut off you hand and then ask how bad it will hurt (I'm joking!?!?!)

kyallroad is the guy you want.

Travis_K
Travis_K UberDork
6/14/15 11:57 a.m.

105k is not really low miles for an Audi, from what I have heard (mainly from my friends mom owning 2 and similar stories elsewhere) they start falling apart pretty fast after that. Transmission, airbags, the 50 ball joints per side in the front suspension will be pretty well worn out, etc. The first one my friends mom had got totaled when something in the traction control failed and it flew off the (straight and dry) freeway backwards through a fence.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/14/15 2:08 p.m.

Oof. Good luck. That air suspension system is an absolute nightmare when things begin to go wrong.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/14/15 2:25 p.m.

A lot of people are going to say horrible things about the front suspension. I've never seen it. What I suspect happens is Doofus A has a shake in the front end and instead of replacing the bent wheel that is causing it (since Germans make wheels out of a grade of aluminum slightly stiffer than peanut butter) they go to replacing all of the suspension links, because they think somehow that a loose part will make the front end shake.

Then they tighten all the bolts with the suspension drooped, which WILL cause early bushing failure. And after they fail, they install the new links badly, which fail early, every 20k or so, and it's somehow all the car's fault.

I've had customers with 250-350k on multilink A, B, and D chassis Audis on the original front end parts, still in good shape. Lots of wheel replacements, though.

If the transmission has never been serviced, do it now. Use a high quality synthetic Dexron. Do NOT use the VW crap. VW crap, trans lasts 60-80k. Synthetic Dexron, 200k+. You'll still probably have to replace the torque converter if it hasn't been done yet, the TCC is a wear item with the OE fluid.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
6/14/15 4:54 p.m.

Cool car, I hope you enjoy your ownership. Do you plan to do your own maintenance or are you taking it to someone? If the latter, find one shop you trust and has a solid reputation with euro cars because there are some quirks as mentioned above.

Will the air ride suspension wear out? Yes, but all suspensions wear out so why do people give the Audis a hard time for needing some work at 100K.

Make sure to maintain it, they aren't Hondas.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
6/15/15 9:28 a.m.

Join the allroad group at quattroworld.com and on facebook. These are very nice wagons, but are extremely maintenance intensive.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
miucem55MwjRvFNB0gXd9ODnSvxXeZQ3hz1GakjMaGjk2ZXXgi31lEKpWGIhs045