1 2
camaroz1985
camaroz1985 New Reader
1/15/09 8:28 a.m.

Thanks for the claification Per. That's what I thought based on rules, but this post was confusing things a bit.

I guess I will just leave the top on for the drags, just in case

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
1/15/09 9:54 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Yes, that would be allowed by the rules and open cars with small windshields have run in the past. The short answer is you've got to read the rules and go with what's there. The long answer is that it's a fun event where the rules are occasionally bent to allow disallow cars that are cool. Andy Nelson's bug, for example, wasn't so legal—the fenders weren't on the car, they were, however, 'present' and that was good enough. I've since closed up that loophole, but that's a whole 'nother story.

I also had the bolts and the original tapped holes were left open. I offered to cut up a perfect set of rear fenders and bolt them on, and the front fender parts that were already modified (and not finished) if anyone complained. I did not think wasting a perfect set of fenders in order to satisfy the rule that said 'present' in order to attend a 2 day event was in the spirit of the rules. FWIW, nobody complained to me.

spin_out
spin_out New Reader
1/16/09 8:46 a.m.

I like to see Andy pushing the rules a little. If you are not pushing the rules, your missing part of the excitement of the Challenge. Andy, It's quite an honor to have the rules amended because of something you did.

The tech guys did seem to tech the cars a LOT harder this year. I got away with the "it's in the truck" excuse.
As mentioned before, cars have run without side windows in the past, and just a window net. Technically the rules say you could be dis-qualified, but they'd probably let you still run for time.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
1/16/09 1:24 p.m.

Isn't instigating a rule change one of the requirements for a win at the Challenge?

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
1/16/09 2:00 p.m.
Andy, It's quite an honor to have the rules amended because of something you did.

??? Everything looked the same to me. What did I miss?

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
1/16/09 2:54 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Andy, It's quite an honor to have the rules amended because of something you did.
??? Everything looked the same to me. What did I miss?

3 words were added after "present".

You know, we had to make a choice to come or stay home. We listed and prioritized the work to be finished in order to attend. Paula's only request was that the car was painted and flamed. The list was long and we kept our heads down. We did what we did in 77 days. I personally don't try to break or bend the rules. The fenders were the last item. I ran out of time. The car had wet paint on it when it was loaded into the trailer. I discussed the fender issue with a bunch of competitors and they thought it was a fun interpretation of 'present'. "Not so legal"...I better get a clarification on our current effort before bothering to continue. My interpretation of the rules will likely be ....nevermind I got work to do.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
1/16/09 3:00 p.m.

I don't think anyone's trying to give you a hard time Andy! Certainly not me! The presence of front fenders would've messed up the whole theme of the car IMO. On the same subject, I always thought Guido's "functioning headlights" interpretation was awesome.

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
1/16/09 3:20 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: I don't think anyone's trying to give you a hard time Andy! Certainly not me! The presence of front fenders would've messed up the whole theme of the car IMO. On the same subject, I always thought Guido's "functioning headlights" interpretation was awesome.

Hard time...nah. Not an issue when it does happen. Guido's lights are still our favorite literal interpretation. Anyhow...it's 17 degrees out there and I'm dragging my feet on getting back to work.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
1/16/09 6:34 p.m.

I would have been completely ok if Andy had said that he cut up the fenders to do rust repair. Mmmmkay?

Per (not a dick)

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
1/16/09 7:18 p.m.

Debatable.....so how's the kid? : )

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
1/16/09 7:39 p.m.

teething.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners