procker
procker Reader
3/9/15 1:03 p.m.

Our 2008 Honda Civic EX had her struts replaced a little over a year ago. This winter, we've noticed that there is a creaking and almost a rubbing sound coming from the strut tops under the hood. Took it to the shop that installed the struts (lifetime parts warranty), and nothing odd was found. While it was there, we had the lower control arms replaced d/t some premature wear and failure bushing (this was causing some noise too). After the parts were replaced, we still hear the strut noises. Our mechanic thinks that it may be d/t the cold weather and some shrinkage issues causing the noise.

Stock photo of the vehicle in question.

Any issues or experience with noise on Honda Civics upper strut mounts in very cold weather? We've been having VERY cold winter weather these past few months (below zero and single digits). We're waiting until the weather warms up some more and see if it's just a temp thing. Any tips of suggestions, experience?

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
3/9/15 1:19 p.m.

My 2000 Insight does this too. I am curious what the group-think says.

procker
procker Reader
3/9/15 1:31 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

Has it gotten worse in the colder months? Any parts replaced on the front suspension lately? The noise that WE hear sounds like a groaning/creaking, at low speeds, and on almost-full to full turns...you?

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
3/9/15 1:33 p.m.

Worse in the cold, no new parts though. I have only had the car for about a year though.

procker
procker Reader
3/9/15 1:36 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

From what I've been reading, it may be a cold temperature thing, but I'm just curious as to why this is the first year we've heard it...we've had the car for about 8 years!

I'm curious if anyone has any other input.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
3/9/15 1:43 p.m.

You should hear my DD Buick groan when it's cold.

You have had it checked so it should be safe. It's most likely due to the cold temperatures.

One last thing to try:

procker
procker Reader
3/13/15 11:42 a.m.

Well, with the warmer weather we've had the last few day the noises all went away. Aside from the usual 130k mile car and engine noises we're all good!

Thanks for the help!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tlAMFKJaGoCBkjL81Eh9OJPWTB02vAkrT4XEfQl55UPNwXmJkvkETvTig38G0tan