pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/08 8:38 p.m.
feature_image

I have been lusting this car for a while, and am just waiting for my DD to die so that I can buy one.

Read the rest of the story

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
7/18/08 10:35 a.m.

Another very nice aspect about this car (not mentioned in this review but was in the magazine) is the fact that it is somewhat difficult to distinguish from a non-speed Mazda3. The most noticeable differences are the logo on the hatch and the rather large tail pipe. Thankfully there are no ridiculous wings or big TURBO stickers. A VERY easy car to drive with all the torque available. You can putt around in 6th at anything over 35 mph pretty easy, and using only 2nd, 4th and 6th is pretty easy in most circumstances (and should give a bit of a MPG boost). Ours has done pretty consistent mileage of low 20's city and high 20's highway, which is pretty insane considering what the current crop of small "economy" cars does and the HP difference between the two.

Can't say I love the HID lights, not sure how/why they are necessary, and they where likely (high amp draw, coupled with the automatic headlight setting which turns the headlights on even when the engine isn't running) the cause of the early death of the battery (covered under warranty).

keethrax
keethrax HalfDork
7/21/08 4:02 p.m.

Picked up our new MS3 over the weekend. It's a Sport trim level in gray. Hoping the color helps keep it stealthy.

I've never had so much fun in a FWD car. As a bonus, it hauls more stuff than any of the rest of our cars.

The interior isn't excellent, but it's good enough, especially at the price.

This car is a combination of price, performance and practicality that is tough to beat. Though I do need to get new wheels/tires on it before winter hits.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/12/08 12:14 p.m.

I am, and quite likely will always be, a V8 guy. The first time I felt the torque of this motor I was hooked.

Planet_Scott
Planet_Scott New Reader
10/7/09 9:41 a.m.

Had mine new since March of 2008 and I am still amazed at it's power, handling and overall refinement. If the American car makers could make a car like this, they would not be in trouble.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath UberDork
12/10/13 12:00 a.m.

The days of simply adding forced induction to a good car in an attempt to develop a great car are behind us. Thankfully, the engineers at Mazda have been aware of this. When it came time to develop a sporting variant of the highly capable Mazda 3, they didn’t cut corners on chassis development, suspension tuning or interior amenities along the way.

Wrapped in a convenient and comfortable five-door hatchback, there’s a lot of utility in this front-wheel-drive offering from Mazda. Capable of seating five adults with more comfort than an M3 sedan, the car also features rear seats that fold flat to make an absolutely cavernous storage area behind the driver. Coupled with the high level of interior quality, the Mazdaspeed3 has all the comfort and taste required of a responsible family car, and it manages to do this at a bargain price.

Don’t think this level of civility means the car isn’t fun, however. The Mazdaspeed3 has enough power and dynamic goodness to run away from anything else at its price point, and it can keep pace with much costlier machinery. The meaty helping of low-end torque helps to maintain momentum, but it also contributes to some directional misgivings under power. We’re also unsure if we love the 18-inch wheels, though they seem to be part of the admission price for cool cars anymore.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nicZINgRYmM5PwoZLs1DNQFv1NB6evvqRE17OIUXjhBj3q3onyFVFhRXn0eAcOuE