1 2 3 4
irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/24/13 8:30 p.m.

My wife mentioned today that she is ready for a larger vehicle with a 3rd row seat. We currently have a low-miles (<30k) 2008 4Runner V6 which is in good shape other than the usual scuffs and dings for a 6-year-old car. It's paid off and I figure it's worth around $17-18k on private sale, or maybe $15k trade-in.

She mentioned minivan (which she always swore that she'd never drive, but one of her friends just got a new Odyssey so.....you know how that goes). But since all of my vehicles are WRX or old BMWs, that's not gonna cut it. I need something that can tow at least 5k lbs (but more is preferable!)

Neighbors have 2 Suburbans but that may be "too big". Sequoia is first on my list at the moment, but they are Toyotas, and they hold their value and don't come cheap. So looking for suggestions and pros/cons of those suggestions. Gas mileage isn't really an issue since she only uses it locally and it will get 7-10k miles per year on it at most.

Requirements: sub-$30k (prefer low-miles used, dont' want to pay the new car penalty again....). Three row seating. Tow capability over 5k lbs. Prefer V8. Must be 4WD, but prefer it to be part-time, not full-time. And obviously prefer something that is known to be reliable and relatively trouble-free, especially the drivetrain. Not too concerned with luxury features, but also don't want a stripper since this is my wife's car....

Anyhow, fire away.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/24/13 8:33 p.m.

two more things: prefer that it be 2008 or newer (wife won't appreciate trading in her 2008 4Runner for something older, that's for sure). And no full-size vans (E350, etc).

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition HalfDork
12/24/13 8:35 p.m.

Highlander. You'd have to get a Limited for the features you want. I don't even know if there is 4wd version and you'd have to find one with the tow package.

Other than that, Tahoe.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/24/13 8:37 p.m.

minivan. Just do it. The third row in most SUV's, is an asspain to use compared to a minivan.

Right tool for the job. I bought one and won't do anything else now.

Also sliding doors are the best for getting kids in and out. Side benefit, goodbye to door dings from a child who says "WANT TO DO IT MYSELF"

I had a rental tahoe recently. It was hard to get people in the third row and with the seat up there was 0 room for luggage behind the seat.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/24/13 8:47 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: minivan. Just do it. The third row in most SUV's, is an asspain to use compared to a minivan. Right tool for the job. I bought one and won't do anything else now.

Don't get me wrong, I like minivans. I drove an 89 voyager LX in high school, and my parents always had them. They're great utility vehicles, and great family-movers. They don't tow a lot though, and don't have 4WD (which is a requirement, as I've had to use it on the 4Runner more than once for certain things). If we're going to upgrade, I'm going to be damn sure that it can tow as much or more than the 4Runner as well, for Lemons/Chump and if I decide to go to rallycross regionals/nationals. I have no other tow vehicle.

Third row is for occasional use, not everyday use (we only have 2 kids). Most of the time it would be the dog back there, so tight access isn't a problem.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/24/13 8:52 p.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: Highlander. You'd have to get a Limited for the features you want. I don't even know if there is 4wd version and you'd have to find one with the tow package. Other than that, Tahoe.

ugh...Highlander seems like a downgrade from a 4Runner in everything except that 3rd row. And with the 3rd row in place it has no cargo space to speak of. Doesn't seem a worthwhile move to lose $10k in the deal and come out with a not-as-good vehicle that has an extra row.

Tahoe is where I"m leaning already. Afraid that I'll be disappointed in the quality/NVH/driving dynamics after having a SportEdition 4Runner.....will I? I've not driven a newer Tahoe....

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
12/24/13 8:55 p.m.

Buying used. What does Infiniti have to offer? They seem, to depreciate faster than the competition.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
12/24/13 8:57 p.m.

3 rows, tows anything, 4wd, unloved, gas is no object? 3/4 or 1 ton suburban.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/24/13 9:01 p.m.

If you are not looking for reliable.. the LR 3 and 4 offer "jump seats" in the way back.

I know she was originally against minivans.. but the odyssey is a nice package and not the penalty box that a lot of the early minivans were

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
12/24/13 9:13 p.m.

Ford Flex.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
12/24/13 9:14 p.m.

Or it's Lincoln alternative.

Fueled by Caffeine
12/24/13 9:23 p.m.

I still say minivan, but a tahoe is a good rig. They ride like a cushy truck, numb.

I still think anything with sliding doors is way above a regular door vehicle for a kid situation. If the kids are in seats, even better. Super easy to buckle them in. Minivans can be had in AWD format. Sienna comes to mind there.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/24/13 9:28 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: If you are not looking for reliable.. the LR 3 and 4 offer "jump seats" in the way back. I know she was originally against minivans.. but the odyssey is a nice package and not the penalty box that a lot of the early minivans were

I love the Odyssey....but it still doesn't have 4WD, and still only has a 3500lb tow rating. I don't have room here to have a dedicated utility/tow 4x4, I need a Swiss Army Knife here......

As much as I enjoy seeing LR3/LR4, I am looking for reliable so that's out.

Since most suggestions so far are tossing out some of my requirements, I'm kind of curious why nobody has said "get an older Sequoia" like a 2006 or something. Are they not good vehicles....they would seem to fit all of my requirements aside form being a bit pricey.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/24/13 9:31 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: I still say minivan, but a tahoe is a good rig. They ride like a cushy truck, numb. I still think anything with sliding doors is way above a regular door vehicle for a kid situation. If the kids are in seats, even better. Super easy to buckle them in. Minivans can be had in AWD format. Sienna comes to mind there.

Like I said, I spent pretty much the first 20 years of my life either driving or riding in minivans, so I know well how nice sliding doors are and how much interior volume they have. The tow capacity is still the killer there. That's pretty much non-negotiable. I can't have hobbies that include Chump, Lemons, Rallycross, and buying old POS non-running BMWs to fix up, if the only thing I have to tow with is a minivan...

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/24/13 9:32 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: Ford Flex.

It's been mentioned to her....she hates the Flex/MKT looks. With a passion. End of discussion

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/24/13 9:35 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Buying used. What does Infiniti have to offer? They seem, to depreciate faster than the competition.

They have the luxu-version of the Armada. I haven't heard good things about the Armada, and I never enjoyed driving my friend's Titan (which it's based on).

Thoughts on the Pilot? It's hideous, but does it fill the bill? I dont' know much about them.

Maybe I should just get a Ridgeline and put some jumpseats in the bed, lol...

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/24/13 9:43 p.m.

I drove one of the old Sequoias and wasn't that impressed. Newer Tahoe or Suburban is what I'd recommend, they're a lot of truck for the money. I like my '06 Ram quad cab a lot, so I'd also look at a Durango (and I'm still not a Dodge guy).

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
12/24/13 9:56 p.m.

Sounds like you need the latest AWD astrovan you can find... and I'm only half kidding.

old_
old_ Reader
12/24/13 10:04 p.m.

V8 Borrego

Fueled by Caffeine
12/24/13 10:05 p.m.
old_ wrote: V8 Borrego

That is an interesting suggestion... I want to drive one.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
12/24/13 10:06 p.m.

09ish Toyota Landcruiser?

No idea on pricing though

old_
old_ Reader
12/24/13 10:24 p.m.

the newest gen durango is supposed to be pretty nice. idk how reliable it would be though (same with the borrego)

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
12/24/13 10:30 p.m.

Ford Expedition

NGTD
NGTD Dork
12/24/13 10:33 p.m.

2011+ Ford Explorer

Rated for 5k lbs towing. 7 seats etc.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/24/13 10:36 p.m.