captaincog
captaincog New Reader
5/10/09 7:36 p.m.
feature_image

I have 2 of the first generation GTs and those PTs with the original design are liked better by me. My 2003 GT with the 5 speed and cloth seats is much more of a driver's car. The 03 GT cloths seats are lower and more supportive, there is no sunroof to add weight or remove headroom. Find one like …

Read the rest of the story

Tom Heath
Tom Heath UberDork
12/10/13 12:00 a.m.

The once-retro PT Cruiser has been available for almost a decade now. That means what was once old-is-new-again is now simply old all over. That doesn't mean the latest revision isn't still pretty darn good, however. We recently tested the Dream Cruiser Series 5 edition, which features a snazzy two-tone paint scheme and a heaping spoonful of chrome accents. The wheels appear to be borrowed from the SRT4 Neon's parts bin, and they look surprisingly at home on the new Cruiser.

The engine also shares a lot of components with the SRT4 Neon. This Cruiser's seemingly meager 180 horsepower is still more than enough to make the car a tire-smoking hoot when driven hard. More power is certainly available for customers willing to poke around the engine bay and swap a few parts. The four-speed automatic transmission hasn't changed much through the years, either; other than being a little noisy, it didn't give us much fodder for complaints.

The PT cruiser offers a fair amount of useful interior space, and it can accommodate five adults and their stuff pretty easily. The Honda Element probably makes better use of its interior, but a PT Cruiser with the seats removed is a pretty decent tool for moving, say, a big-screen TV.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bWbanbTANI4IsedExGt1uFfCUUD6t3YPDyPj4Tm7N5wthOkELomWIku17nTYkvaQ