Turbonutter
Turbonutter New Reader
2/12/10 1:45 p.m.
feature_image

Looked interesting right up until the $45k asking price.

Read the rest of the story

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/20/10 7:10 p.m.

I drove the Audi version. Boy that TDI is awesome. There is torque for weeks. It is very refined and makes the Cummins ram's and Powerstrokes, I used to work on, seem like ancient technology. I wish I could afford one.

Dav
Dav Reader
2/21/10 9:13 a.m.

5300 lbs?! How can something so small weigh so much? That is close to what my monstrous full-size pickup weighs.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/10/13 12:00 a.m.

My, how VW has grown up. The company that gave us the Beetle, Rabbit and Karmann Ghia now has a full lineup that features something for just about every taste--including those who like to roll in an SUV.

The Touareg made its debut for the 2002 model year and received a face-lift for 2007. Starting with the 2009 model year, the mid-sized SUV is available with VW's Clean Diesel technology. What does that mean? We now get way less emissions--VW says 97 percent less sulfur content--plus a 90-percent drop in sooty emissions.

The Clean Diesel technology works by injecting something called AdBlue--synthetic urea, more or less--into the exhaust stream. The AdBlue helps convert the exhaust's nitrogen oxide into nitrogen and water. The result: less harmful emissions combined with strong performance. Its turbo 3.0-liter engine produces 225 horsepower and 406 lb.-ft. of torque.

If this is a glimpse of the future, color us intrigued.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CnwonNbiTcaBZBIPtgbwY0x0f9ltpeiTx2pR3NH9Pe8X60uT7f2MK7D6D386ojFn