1 2 3
924guy
924guy Dork
2/12/10 9:43 p.m.

our 08 rabbit 2.5 /auto stick is now passing 60k, rear brake pads went in the first 10k, besides that no issues, and she abuses the hell out of it... I would buy another, though i would like to see a bit better mpg...

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/13/10 8:13 a.m.
ea_sport wrote:
sevenracer wrote: Why buy new? - It's a VW, I want the warranty - have heard the original 2.0T FSI has issues (like oil consumption) that were cured in the updated TFSI...not sure if this is fact or not
No to hijack but I am looking at 2008 GTI DSG w/ less than 20kmiles, where did you get the information you mentioned above? I want to learn more on the issues w/ this model. Thanks.

The oil consumption issue is out there, but it's really NOT a consumption issue. The 2.0T cars can use a bit of oil between services and the issue really shows up when people run too long on a service. I have seen 2 quarts on 6000 miles which is way under industry standards.

The only other issues you will see are in the air bag harnesses under seat. just don't let stuff get under the seat or bang the seats to the end of the tracks and you are usually fine.

I have seen some cam wear issues if the proper oils are not used. One customer was using an oil that is touted very highly on this board.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
2/13/10 9:27 a.m.

Ive heard of Cam Follower issues...

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/13/10 9:34 a.m.

Judging by the number of VW's I have seen fail, no it is not worth it. Seems like every year a friend says "they are getting better!" and buys one against the rest of our advice. And every year they get shafted with some horrible problem. These are all different friends/cars in the last 10 years that have become nightmares and got sold ASAP (some years and/or names might be messed up because I could care less about VW's):

• 2001 Beetle (electrical)
  • 2003 Beetle Turbo (electrical again)
  • 2004 Jetta (trans literally completely seized on a 20K mile CPO car)
  • 2006 Jetta Wagon (trans failure again, this time on a brand new one in under 5K, warranty was a PITA)
  • 2008 GTI (DSG exploded it's guts, driven by a 40+ year old in under 15K)
pres589
pres589 Reader
2/13/10 9:59 a.m.
John Brown wrote: I have seen 2 quarts on 6000 miles which is way under industry standards.

You're saying that a quart of oil every 3,000 miles is a normal consumption amount per manufacturers today and within tolerance? That seems somewhat excessive...

billy3esq
billy3esq SuperDork
2/13/10 10:03 a.m.
pres589 wrote:
John Brown wrote: I have seen 2 quarts on 6000 miles which is way under industry standards.
You're saying that a quart of oil every 3,000 miles is a normal consumption amount per manufacturers today and within tolerance? That seems somewhat excessive...

That's more than my RX-8 uses. And we all know what an oil-swilling POS the RX-8 is.

paul
paul New Reader
2/13/10 10:33 a.m.

Isn't 1qt per 1,000 miles the 'standard', e.g. any more consumption would be considered for warranty work/rebuild?

ea_sport
ea_sport New Reader
2/13/10 2:53 p.m.

In reply to paul:

I googled vw dsg problems and found this thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3968936...I guess I should stick to the stick shift or plain old automatic transmission (not offered on GTI)...

Ian_F
Ian_F New Reader
2/13/10 3:27 p.m.

Oil for VW's seems to be a critical item that too many owners take lightly.

2003 TDI wagon, 5 spd; 208K miles; bought new.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/13/10 3:52 p.m.
paul wrote: Isn't 1qt per 1,000 miles the 'standard', e.g. any more consumption would be considered for warranty work/rebuild?

Correct

92dxman
92dxman Reader
2/14/10 9:53 a.m.

I want to like the GTI but too heavy (needs to get under 3k lbs) and I want to see a strippo model with no power anything.. Until then, no dice..

Opus
Opus Dork
2/14/10 12:13 p.m.

I would continue to pass on it until you are no longer asking how bad it can be. Sounds like you are settling for the car when you know it could be better

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
2/14/10 12:24 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: VW has put a 128 bit encrypted block on the ECUs for the 2010 2.0Ts, so nobody can flash them. APR can crack the ECU open and manually flash them by jumping off some pins, but VW is gonna see the ECU has been altered and is gonna strat voiding warranties...

can you get a hold of a spare ecu and mod that, and swap it in/out at opportune times in order to see to it the veedub SS never see your attempt at hooliganery?

(no offense to those VW SS members who populate this forum )

irish44j
irish44j Reader
2/14/10 2:33 p.m.
pres589 wrote:

dude, even my 1970 Triumph doesn't go through a quarte every 1000 miles, and that thing leaks like a sieve.

I'd say the WRX goes through 1 qt ever 15k or so, and the 4Runner likewise.

I've NEVER had a car that went through a quart less than every 5k miles or so, and that was a 1990 Cherokee that left puddles on the driveway.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
2/14/10 10:39 p.m.
irish44j wrote: dude, even my 1970 Triumph doesn't go through a quarte every 1000 miles, and that thing leaks like a sieve. I'd say the WRX goes through 1 qt ever 15k or so, and the 4Runner likewise. I've NEVER had a car that went through a quart less than every 5k miles or so, and that was a 1990 Cherokee that left puddles on the driveway.

I've had 3. - 99 Audi A4 2.8L V6 - 77 VW Scirocco - 84 VW Scirocco

My 82 1.7L Rabbit didn't go through the oil like the others. My rotaries use less oil than any of the VW/Audi products I've owned.

actualsize
actualsize New Reader
2/15/10 10:31 p.m.

I happen to know that insideline.com just bought a 2010 VW GTI (2-door, 6-speed, summer tires) for a one-year long-term test, joining some 16 other cars in the fleet. Look for VW GTI blog entries 2 to 4 times per week over the coming year here.

You won't start seeing anything for two weeks, though. A little break-in and a formal intro article comes before the blogging begins.

Dan

corytate
corytate New Reader
1/19/11 1:58 p.m.

friend of mine bought a 3 door 2011 6 speed gti, it is honestly the most amazing fwd car I've ever rode in.
Scary quick feeling, handles amazingly, beautiful interior, surprisingly spacious, not really any negatives except it is fwd, and you honestly can't even tell by riding in it. There is NO roll, NO torque steer, and actually not any excessive noise from a 200hp turbo car. He got almost every add-on you could get, so he has heated leathers, touch screen nav, bt, and all. the key fob system is great. It is a lovely car.
I am smitten.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
1/19/11 2:05 p.m.
skruffy wrote: So, roughly $2,500 in scheduled maintenance over 100k miles is more than you could possibly afford? If must be rough working for VW.

That's about 3 times what the same maintenance cost for either of my hyundai's, and they would have required a timing belt change in there as well.

Personally, I stay away from German over engineering. it's not cheap to own, it;s not cheap to maintain and I don't like an extra orange light on my dash 24/7.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
1/19/11 2:19 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
pres589 wrote:
dude, even my 1970 Triumph doesn't go through a quarte every 1000 miles, and that thing leaks like a sieve. I'd say the WRX goes through 1 qt ever 15k or so, and the 4Runner likewise. I've NEVER had a car that went through a quart less than every 5k miles or so, and that was a 1990 Cherokee that left puddles on the driveway.

Nevertheless, 1 qt per 1k miles is the standard used by most manufacturers as the line between acceptable and rebuild.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
1/19/11 2:20 p.m.
Opus wrote: I would continue to pass on it until you are no longer asking how bad it can be. Sounds like you are settling for the car when you know it could be better

That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
1/19/11 2:24 p.m.

I really like the looks...

pigeon
pigeon Dork
1/19/11 4:17 p.m.

Holy Zombie post Batman!

sevenracer
sevenracer New Reader
1/19/11 5:17 p.m.

In reply to pigeon:

Ha ha... I'll say. Odo just turned 11k miles!

I guess I never closed out the thread.

Possibly against my better judgment and the popular opinion in this thread, bought the gti - really love the car. No problems so far.

demonspeed
demonspeed Reader
1/19/11 5:47 p.m.

I work as vw dealership tech. The 2010s are definitely more reliable. The fsi engine was pretty E36 M3ty so definitely avoid the older models with those if you can. I haven't seen any chronic problems with the tsi engines

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
1/19/11 8:12 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: The new "R" model is worth waiting for. Haldex AWD + 240hp + 4 Doors + roomy hatchback + manual or DSG = perfect all around car?

I think that was the '02 WRX wagon, but I'm not sure. They're only 9 years behind at worst case.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sX7bkGauGZtJBnXznKZNuwrvfvohe3OqKMIaQaTT31Mc0VKMXsqRCLsbj7Lw8EAN