pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/10 10:07 a.m.
feature_image

A fabric and zippered kennel? My dogs would chew that into oblivion in under 10 seconds! Seems more fashion accessory than useful appliance to me, but I applaud Honda's efforts for little dogs. Now where is the hose-out, steel lined cage with a floor drain?

Read the rest of the story

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Reader
9/27/10 10:23 a.m.

We could SO use that to load Tom Heath after a Saturday night Yuengling workout. I recently started Phoebe, my aging Portuguese Water Dog into our vehicles, so that ramp is a helpful tool. Dog specific fabric is overkill. Drool resistant fabric would be more beneficial.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
9/27/10 12:22 p.m.

This piqued my interest, since we're shopping for a 3rd vehicle specifically to transport our 90lb GSD. Color me unimpressed though. Agreed on the near uselessness of the fabric "kennel", even for dogs much smaller than ours. I would also rather pay for water & scratch resistant upholstery than a doggie graphics (although it looks better than it sounded). I guess I was just expecting something more utilitarian from the Element. The one redeeming quality is the ramp, but I'm not paying another grand for it.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
9/27/10 4:38 p.m.

You know, this is probably perfect for the kinds of dogs an Element owner would have. Anyone that's got a big dog most likely already has a big-dog kinda car.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
9/27/10 5:51 p.m.

my dog rides shotgun on long trips...his big pillow bed on the front seat of the 4Runner and him with a harness linked to the seatbelt. Wife usually sits in the back seat to keep the 2 year old entertained, lol...

EvoRoadster
EvoRoadster New Reader
9/28/10 8:41 p.m.

I have been looking for a large dog, friendly vehicle to replace my 99 Volvo V70XC but this isn't it. The rear windows not going down kills it.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
10/5/10 1:18 p.m.

Will the motorcycle fit in the back? Will the ramp take the weight of said motorcycle? Nope, nope. Van it is then.

dougalfa36
dougalfa36
10/17/10 3:37 p.m.

Oh boy, we have Irish Wolfhounds and the Element was a choice to replace our really old Caravans (130K mi ea inc trailer towing) and one of our IW friends has his IW in an Element so having this little vid and the little dog stuff as an option did nothing to convince me that an Element is a good choice. And so, what is the fuel mileage? I like the rubber mats and the big stand up area for the IWs. BTY you should never have an open window for your dogs, the very best is that they will get a bug in the eye (since my wife is a vet I thank you for supporting my racing effort) and the very worse is that the dog will jump out at speed. DRB

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/10/13 12:00 a.m.

Honda has gone to the dogs--no, really. The boxy Element is now available with the Dog Friendly Package.

If "Pimp My Ride" built a car for dog lovers, this is probably what you'd get. Extra equipment includes a ramp, pet bed, kennel and water bowl. The kennel even has a little fan to keep furry passengers cool.

The rest of the car gets some canine-influenced touches, too. The seat covers feature little doggies, while the floor mats have a dog bone pattern.

Then there's some gifts for the pooch: leash, collar and name tag.

The Dog Friendly Package adds $1000 to the MSRP and is only available on the EX and LX models. Learn more at http://www.dogfriendly.honda.com.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gQvoo4mobansarh7qmqmqcYGO4HHmBxlbybmwZaaCbfrIvUDNRBGVH7kR8gYe8cn