1 2 3 4
HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
1/15/11 8:08 p.m.

http://jalopnik.com/5728923/hyundai-veloster-hot-hatch-asks-honda-who

What say you GRM? I think it would make a bitchin' group 2 rally car... the big deal to me is the 6 speed transmission, while not the most powerful motor for its weight, you'll be able to wring every last pony out of it with 6 gears!

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 Reader
1/15/11 8:19 p.m.

I really like that.

Auto ADD
Auto ADD Dork
1/15/11 8:23 p.m.

I would like the hatch better if it went further up the roof line ala CRX. But other than that it sounds like a sweet ride.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/15/11 8:53 p.m.

I like it. The numbers are not bad for a modern car.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
1/15/11 8:54 p.m.

Could be good.

Raze
Raze Dork
1/15/11 9:06 p.m.

One word: Abarth

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
1/15/11 9:11 p.m.

touche, salesman

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
1/15/11 9:16 p.m.

v-e-l-o-s-t-e-r.

Nah...couldn't make it work....too much like velour and polyester.

corytate
corytate New Reader
1/15/11 9:32 p.m.

god i love this car
would possibly consider trading in the forte for it even
such a dumb name though

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/15/11 9:45 p.m.

Doesn't Hyundai make a 1.6 turbo motor? Does anyone know if that is just a turbo variation on the NA 1.6 in the Veloster? If so, that makes for an interesting combination...

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
1/15/11 9:45 p.m.
JFX001 wrote: v-e-l-o-s-t-e-r. Nah...couldn't make it work....too much like velour and polyester.

Everybody hates on the name... I think its a clever ploy for Hyundai to release a performance version (like the Abarth 500) and call it the Velosiraptor!

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
1/15/11 9:48 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: Doesn't Hyundai make a 1.6 turbo motor? Does anyone know if that is just a turbo variation on the NA 1.6 in the Veloster? If so, that makes for an interesting combination...

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/01/2011-detroit-auto-show-turbo-hyundai-veloster-confirmed.html

irish44j
irish44j Dork
1/15/11 10:02 p.m.

looks mean.

can this company do anything wrong these days? Starting to look more and more like Toyota and Honda in the 90s......with hit after hit.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
1/16/11 12:21 a.m.

I'm not a fan of the Veloster's front fascia- it looks like a (rapping?) hamster with its cheeks stuffed. Otherwise, the design has grown on me and I'm liking the raw numbers (esp. the weight). A turbo version would be sweet. The next couple of years will be great for hot-hatch fans with cars like the Veloster Turbo, Focus RS, and 500 Abarth in the pipeline.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade HalfDork
1/16/11 1:12 a.m.

I'd save pennies for the Turbo. That'd be a cool ride.

Bench Racer (BowtieBandit)
Bench Racer (BowtieBandit) Reader
1/16/11 8:42 a.m.

I actually like it, the name is a little hard to pronounce, but the styling and everything is great, and the third suicide door is a good option for me since I am +1 child. I don't really understand why it's on the passenger side, though.

Also, does it look like to anyone else that the passenger side door is a few inches shorter than the driver? Little stuff like that would just irk the piss out of me.

failboat
failboat Reader
1/16/11 9:16 a.m.

The third door is on the passenger side so it opens to the curb when you parallel park.

I believe Veloster shares the 1.6 engine with both the new Accent and I think its also the same engine in the new Elantra, or at least the power specs are about the same. Weight is about the same as a previous gen Accent hatchback.

With the new Accent being sold as only a 5 door hatch and 4 door sedan, in my opinion this is pretty much the replacement for the last gen Accent 3 door hatchback.

It pretty much addresses 2 of the problems I didnt like about the last one. My 2009 Accent I always felt would be much better with 20-30 more hp (stock is 110), and it definately needs a 6th gear. In 5th, at 80mph on the highway, my engine is screaming at 4k rpm. wtf.

Sounds like the Veloster fixes both of those issues, and kept the weight of the car about the same as the last one. Should be a pretty fun, and well priced hatchback.

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
1/16/11 10:13 a.m.

Anytime a car company CEO can say with a straight face: "Somehow I think Colin Chapman would be pleased." they must be doing something right (at least by our standards).

It does remind me of that hamster car (Kia Soul?) with a chop top.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
1/16/11 10:20 a.m.

Your link must be broken. All I see is a Volvo C30 that got buttberkeleyed by an Eclipse... Holy hell is that thing ugly!

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
1/16/11 10:22 a.m.

The front and sides are pretty attractive, but I don't care for the styling from the back. The tail lights are big and up high, and the visibility looks pretty poor. The design reminds me of a cross between a three-door saturn and a cr-z.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
1/16/11 10:40 a.m.

I like it. Hyundai seems to be getting it. It's not perfection, but it's a darn good effort.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
1/16/11 12:02 p.m.

I just wish it were priced more like the Accent.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk HalfDork
1/16/11 2:32 p.m.

I just came back from the auto show. The Veloster is one of those cars that looks better in person than it does in pictures. Rearward visibilty is not very good. The driver's door is several inches longer than the passenger one. Either side looks good, it's the combo that's a little wierd.Overall ,I liked it.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
1/16/11 3:46 p.m.

No thanks. I'll wait for the kitted up versions of the Focus or Fiesta.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk HalfDork
1/16/11 5:42 p.m.

I looked at the Fiesta and Focus today. Both look like good cars. The Focus is getting to be a fair size,but looked to be a pretty good DD. It's something I'll certainly consider it when the time comes that I want something different.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QRCZtIkvnmbMzvN5JSnZr8g5RGXZwHhT8WbBqd8gkWdAJGK72DNXTrCEYC10oF5z