1 2 3 4
Fletch1
Fletch1 Reader
1/16/11 6:36 p.m.

Hyundai gets a hand clap from me creating a TWO door non-hybrid hatch with 140hp and 40mpg's. The looks.. eh. I'm not slobbering or anything, but I give them some respect for this one.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk HalfDork
1/16/11 7:17 p.m.

But it has 3 doors !

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/16/11 9:25 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
thatsnowinnebago wrote: Doesn't Hyundai make a 1.6 turbo motor? Does anyone know if that is just a turbo variation on the NA 1.6 in the Veloster? If so, that makes for an interesting combination...
http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/01/2011-detroit-auto-show-turbo-hyundai-veloster-confirmed.html

Oh hey, look at that

irish44j
irish44j Dork
1/16/11 10:45 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I just came back from the auto show. The Veloster is one of those cars that looks better in person than it does in pictures. Rearward visibilty is not very good. The driver's door is several inches longer than the passenger one. Either side looks good, it's the combo that's a little wierd.Overall ,I liked it.

luckily, it's pretty much physically impossible for someone to look at both sides at the same time, so few would even notice.

I once (many years ago) drove around for a WEEK with different colored wheels on the right and left side of my old Acura (both were the same wheels, just two had been painted black and I ran out of time to paint the other 2 until the next weekend, so they were still silver).

A few friends commented that the "painted wheels look good" but not a single friend, roommate, or girlfriend noticed that the left and right wheels were different. And several of them rode in the car several times that week, lol.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
1/17/11 8:37 a.m.

The question is whether the turbo version will have a manual transmission. So far all of their turbo front drivers get mated with an auto.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
1/17/11 9:17 a.m.
sachilles wrote: The question is whether the turbo version will have a manual transmission. So far all of their turbo front drivers get mated with an auto.

If they actually go ahead with this, AND they already have the 6 speed auto and manual, I don't see why they would. It appears they want to appeal to a different segment (sport compact) which requires a manual dunno

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
1/17/11 10:43 a.m.

Actually, it's a four-door car - 1 on the left, 2 on the right, and the hatch.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
1/17/11 11:06 a.m.

The specs in some ways sound a lot like those of an EG Civic when it comes to weight, power, and engine displacement. Given the Civic's huge following, though, it would have pretty big shoes to fill. We'll have to see if it actually delivers good handling, and if the aftermarket for it materializes.

I may be the only one who thought of the Velocar when I saw the name.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
1/17/11 11:57 a.m.

Yes, you're probably the only one. Even I'm not that old.

How about the Velociraptor?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
1/17/11 12:19 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXkwiLgwFBk&feature=player_embedded

Car's corner pretty damn flat as well. Looking good. Maybe Honda should pay attention to what Hyundai's doing and start copying that? This car should be rated at 41mpg highway, 31mpg city.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk HalfDork
1/17/11 12:29 p.m.

The flat gray paint on the one in the background of Jerry's photo is a production colour,too.

YaNi
YaNi Reader
1/17/11 1:02 p.m.

After stating 'McPherson strut front, torsion beam rear' they actually have the audacity to call it sporty? Why did they have to put a crappy torsion beam rear axle? It just stinks of cheapness (read cavalier), especially considering the Elantra has had a multilink rear for over a decade...

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
1/17/11 1:10 p.m.

From the side, it looks like the Scirocco we won't get.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
1/17/11 1:39 p.m.
YaNi wrote: After stating 'McPherson strut front, torsion beam rear' they actually have the audacity to call it sporty? Why did they have to put a crappy torsion beam rear axle? It just stinks of cheapness (read cavalier), especially considering the Elantra has had a multilink rear for over a decade...

All the newer Elantras are torsion beams again. Worked really well for the Cobalt SS... I seem to remember them doing quite well. Just saying....the rear MacStruts on the earlier Elantras are sucktastic..... Easy to work on but leave a lot to be desired.

Aren't all those Volkswagons that everyone here loves so much Torsion beam? How about the Audi TT?

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
1/17/11 2:26 p.m.
YaNi wrote: After stating 'McPherson strut front, torsion beam rear' they actually have the audacity to call it sporty? Why did they have to put a crappy torsion beam rear axle? It just stinks of cheapness (read cavalier), especially considering the Elantra has had a multilink rear for over a decade...

Its almost like that POS Corvette and its leaf spring suspension!

The 944 with its semi trailing arms handles like crap compared to the genius of the 92 Honda accords double A arm set up huh?

"Somehow I think Colin Chapman would be pleased." lol, not one to be too worked up over the evora, but gotta chuckle at the thought that Colin would be more please with the work of Hyundai then Lotus.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
2/5/11 7:43 a.m.
kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
4/8/11 8:42 a.m.

So its official - Turbo version - 200+ hp. I'm now officially interested.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/04/hyundai-veloster-turbo-to-offer-208-horsepower-from-16-liter-t-gdi.html

Resume discussion.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
4/8/11 10:30 a.m.

I want this.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
4/8/11 10:41 a.m.

I want that engine in the current Elantra.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
4/8/11 11:16 a.m.

and the wrc displacement limit is 1.6 liter turbo.....hmmm, wonder if this is just a coincidence?

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
4/8/11 11:34 a.m.

As an "edit" of my post above, one thing Hyundai really needs is a new head of the Department of New Car Naming. I have no ability to explain what a "veloster" is, and it kind of has a pedo-esque ring to it.

Maybe they'll give it a nice acronym; that's worked for me in the past. The fact that my current ride is an SE-R Spec V means I never have to tell people I drive a Sentra.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
4/8/11 11:40 a.m.

Detroit - Take note please...Korea is kicking your asses

200 hp, small, lightweight, and 6 gears. Gimme the option for crank down windows and a friggin radio WITHOUT a hard drive, and we are talking. Sticker it less than $15k and I will waiting at the dealership at 8am when the sales guys get there.

failboat
failboat Reader
4/8/11 12:03 p.m.

One of the commenters on the hyundai blog said teh engine will find its way into an upcoming Elantra Coupe and the Forte Coupe.

Im going to point out again that the alleged weight of the veloster is very similar to the 3rd gen accent that its more or less replacing. So basically they are doubling the horsepower. Holy E36 M3.

Please let it be as entertaining to drive as something like say..a Mazda 3. Not a boring econo car.

killerkane
killerkane Reader
4/8/11 1:04 p.m.
Nitroracer wrote: The front and sides are pretty attractive, but I don't care for the styling from the back. The tail lights are big and up high, and the visibility looks pretty poor. The design reminds me of a cross between a three-door saturn and a cr-z.

I agree, can't stand the back of it!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
4/8/11 1:30 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Detroit, Japan- Take note please...Korea is kicking your asses 200 hp, small, lightweight, and 6 gears. Gimme the option for crank down windows and a friggin radio WITHOUT a hard drive, and we are talking. Sticker it less than $15k and I will waiting at the dealership at 8am when the sales guys get there.

FTFY

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RbEuLCUPUwi9xewWAQ6NpOI3PVsGeMqAmEW5HfnXUqE81lO7pW8syZyQoYiaZhzy