1 2 3 4
ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
9/20/11 12:58 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I am going to get rid of crash-standards all together and automatics and push button starts and .... This list is going to get too long if I keep going.

Automatics are still handy in trucks, drag racing, and for the handicapped.

No crash standards at all is still a world-wide standard

Push button starts are totally okay with me, provided they use the setup where you just have to have the keyfob in your pocket and don't have to put the key in the column, crank it to "on" and then hit a button.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
9/20/11 5:07 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
darkbuddha wrote: I'll be looking at a new Focus ST next year... twice the power, better looking (IMHO), and overall awesomer! I'm just bummed we're not gonna get the wagon vesion...
Or the 3-door. Hyundai did the same thing with the Accent, too. No more three door. Just the 5-door and the stupid sedan. When I'm Emperor of the Known Universe, I'm banning sedans and 5-door hatchbacks, at least for 10 years or so. Of course I'll have an awesomeness exception for things like the mid-90s Impala SS, Mercury Maruader, and Mazdaspeed3, but elsewise GTFO. I'm also gonna implement world-wide emissions and crash-standards, so there won't be any "we can't have that over here" BS.

What's wrong with a 5-door? Seems more practical than a 3 door.
I don't see anything wrong with Sedans either.

I'm all for crash standards... just not to the level they are at now.

I vote weight standards. To be offically classed as a compact, your car must meet these dimensions: under 2300lbs, shorter than xx, 37mpg epa, etc. Tax each type of car differently, and insurance companies will insure them differently. Would be nice to see all manufacturers trying to make the best sub-2300lb car they can.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
9/20/11 9:07 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: What's wrong with a 5-door? Seems more practical than a 3 door. I don't see anything wrong with Sedans either. I'm all for crash standards... just not to the level they are at now. I vote weight standards. To be offically classed as a compact, your car must meet these dimensions: under 2300lbs, shorter than xx, 37mpg epa, etc. Tax each type of car differently, and insurance companies will insure them differently. Would be nice to see all manufacturers trying to make the best sub-2300lb car they can.

I'm actually for some sort of crash standards, too, I was mostly just riffing off of what had been said.

The thing wrong with 5-doors is exactly your logic: a wagon is more practical than a 5-door, so why crap up a perfectly awesome 3-door with two extra doors? If you need a practical car with doors for a back seat, get a wagon or a minivan.

Same thing with sedans. Wagons have practically no additional weight, but have better aero, more carrying capacity, and better outward visibility. There's just no justification for a sedan over a wagon. For proof, look no further than SUVs: are they based on sedans or station wagons?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/20/11 9:12 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: I am going to get rid of crash-standards all together and automatics and push button starts and .... This list is going to get too long if I keep going.
Automatics are still handy in trucks, drag racing, and for the handicapped. No crash standards at all is still a world-wide standard Push button starts are totally okay with me, provided they use the setup where you just have to have the keyfob in your pocket and don't have to put the key in the column, crank it to "on" and then hit a button.

Ok so automatics for trucks and handicapped.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
9/22/11 12:57 p.m.

This does not bode well:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/11q3/2012_hyundai_veloster-short_take_road_test

Cliff notes: Its a fat underpowered brick that looks much cooler than it is.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
9/22/11 6:28 p.m.

I just read Motor Trend's take on it. They pointed out that it has almost exactly the same performance stats as the CR-Z. I spent some time looking at pictures of both, and considering what i might do with either if i owned them... and in the end i decided i'd rather have a CR-Z.

Not that im going to buy one. Wrecked ones are still 10k+.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
9/23/11 5:53 a.m.

Its actually almost exactly the same as the base model civic... same width, height, weight, power, economy.

What would make me lean toward the CRZ is this: http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/cr-z

39.1mpg average over 181 cars over 1.1 million miles.

madnmas1
madnmas1
3/4/13 7:22 p.m.

I registered on this site simply to bad mouth Veloster. My husband bought the Veloster in 2012. He needed a car that had good gas mileage but with a somewhat sporty look. To give you an idea, next month will be a year and it already has 25k miles on it. Long story short within one week the car died, antifreeze everywhere, and they had to replace the gasket. It started shaking real bad and Hyundai did not want to let us trade it in. We went the BBB route and did not win. Took it in recently for FOUR recalls..the sunroof is known to shatter at high way speeds, the rear calibers had to be replaced and were a safety issue, the mileage was misadvertised and now we get a refund check for mileage every so often by having to bring it in and have it read by a certified dealership. It is the biggest mess ever. We learned our lesson by purchasing a car before it had a while to be out. Good luck. Anyone that stops and tells us how nice it is...we let 'em have the information and tell them to pass it along. Worst. Purchase. Ever.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
3/4/13 7:37 p.m.

Cool story bro.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
3/4/13 8:51 p.m.

Well, we'll always take car buying advice from non enthusiasts with a grain of salt, but id say the vehicle-related issues raised are cause for concern, even with the lack of detail.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
3/4/13 9:01 p.m.
madnmas1 wrote: I registered on this site simply to bad mouth Veloster. My husband bought the Veloster in 2012. He needed a car that had good gas mileage but with a somewhat sporty look. To give you an idea, next month will be a year and it already has 25k miles on it. Long story short within one week the car died, antifreeze everywhere, and they had to replace the gasket. It started shaking real bad and Hyundai did not want to let us trade it in. We went the BBB route and did not win. Took it in recently for FOUR recalls..the sunroof is known to shatter at high way speeds, the rear calibers had to be replaced and were a safety issue, the mileage was misadvertised and now we get a refund check for mileage every so often by having to bring it in and have it read by a certified dealership. It is the biggest mess ever. We learned our lesson by purchasing a car before it had a while to be out. Good luck. Anyone that stops and tells us how nice it is...we let 'em have the information and tell them to pass it along. Worst. Purchase. Ever.

you sound like a nightmare to deal with. please don't shop at my dealership.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/4/13 9:05 p.m.

Cross posting on any thread mentioning Veloster, with an exact same text.

Gotta say it. "Canoe"

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
3/5/13 7:37 a.m.

E36 M3ty canoe that obviously is suffering from buyers remorse.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
3/5/13 8:53 a.m.

Rear calibers? I like guns.

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
3/5/13 9:29 a.m.

I still think the way they did the third door is retarded......evidentally their lead designer came from bmw's motorcycle division, where they don't believe in matching sides.

I won't say its a bad car, but I like a good look.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
3/5/13 9:34 a.m.
yamaha wrote: I still think the way they did the third door is retarded......evidentally their lead designer came from bmw's motorcycle division, where they don't believe in matching sides. I won't say its a bad car, but I like a good look.

I'm indifferent personally. It's too small for us. Although.... I do like the new Turbo car. I really like that that drivetrain is going to find it's way into the '14 Forte SX hatch. FINALLY Hyundai is listening to me.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OKzWGWB0gVPB4aRU2i7FGCUJIefiKurmwjYeJ9MqTZsVjFh8X8wDTJ7LsjKzyL2A