1 2
singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
12/11/13 4:05 p.m.

Has clear title check, 45k miles, I haven't seen in person yet because it is 4 hours away. Any reason not to make the drive Saturday and bring back some Saaby goodness?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/11/13 4:07 p.m.

I seem to remember reading on here that 2010 was about that point where parts availability becomes to get a little bit of a pain, probably mostly body and trim stuff.

Someone check me on that?

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
12/11/13 4:16 p.m.

I thought that too but I remembered that being mainly on the 9-5, no?

asoduk
asoduk Reader
12/11/13 5:28 p.m.

Body parts aren't very easy to come by if you want new. Keys are also hard to come by. I have a 2006 2.0t combi and love it, even with an automatic.

In my own car my only annoyance is that there are phone buttons, but the phone never worked on US models. First world problems.

Some people don't like that the stereo has controls and displays spread through the dash, but I'm used to Saabs and am glad they didn't GM-ify the interior too much.

Its also a little disappointing that the owners of these cars on SaabCentral forums aren't as active as the older car sections.

Storz
Storz Dork
12/11/13 6:21 p.m.

Nope. Saabs are great, thoroughly enjoying mine right now. They really wake up with tune.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/11/13 6:41 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I seem to remember reading on here that 2010 was about that point where parts availability becomes to get a little bit of a pain, probably mostly body and trim stuff. Someone check me on that?

The 9-3 was the same from 2008 and beyond. The 2010 9-5 was the one that is totaled if a headlight is broken.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
12/11/13 6:50 p.m.

Cool car. Do it!

alex
alex UberDork
12/11/13 7:39 p.m.

Such cool cars.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/11/13 7:54 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: I seem to remember reading on here that 2010 was about that point where parts availability becomes to get a little bit of a pain, probably mostly body and trim stuff. Someone check me on that?
The 9-3 was the same from 2008 and beyond. The 2010 9-5 was the one that is totaled if a headlight is broken.

This is basically correct, but the final styling refresh of the 9-3 and OG9-5 did create some parts that aren't exactly easy to find. As long as you don't plan on crashing it, you should be fine...it's the all-new '11 9-5 that has downright unobtainium parts.

The 9-3 Sportcombi is one of the coolest wagons ever made, genuinesaab.com has some fun performance goodies too, I say do it!

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
12/11/13 8:31 p.m.

VERY IMPORTANT, Is it the 2.3 or a V6? If the 2.3 jump in both feet if the V6 run as fast as possible away (some one correct me if im wrong in saying this in regards to the 08+)

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/11/13 9:06 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: VERY IMPORTANT, Is it the 2.3 or a V6? If the 2.3 jump in both feet if the V6 run as fast as possible away (some one correct me if im wrong in saying this in regards to the 08+)

You are wrong. The 9-5 has a 3.0 six that is a pile of dog E36 M3. The 9-3 has a 2.8 six that is actually a decent enough engine. Also, the final 9-3 never had a 2.3, just the 2.0 Ecotec turbo and later the 2.8.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
12/11/13 9:07 p.m.

In reply to SlickDizzy:

Oh all those Sweeds are the same

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
12/11/13 9:35 p.m.

It is the 2.0t ecotec motor.

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
12/11/13 9:40 p.m.

Grab it, they've started building the 9-3 again. The value can only go up

I love my 09 9-3 sedan. 69000km, I paid $9100. A steal.

ryejeff
ryejeff New Reader
12/12/13 8:09 a.m.

SWMBO drives an '08 SportCombi 2.0t with manual. We had to search for a long time to find one with a manual.

One of it's strengths is the amount of size inside. It is not a big car, but has tons of shoulder room in the back seat.

The visibility out the back quarters is not great. We have a long, narrow driveway with a concrete retaining wall along the driver's side. It is a lot harder to get the Saab down the driveway than it is my '01 Corolla.

The driver's seat is not my favorite. The headrest keeps my head slightly forward of its most natural position. The seat itself is pretty wide, so I end up sliding around a bit during aggressive cornering.

The 2.0 turbo motor is fun. The car feels quick. It exhibits a little turbo lag, but pulls hard as it spools up. Me and SWMBO both enjoy that get up and go.

The shifter has a funny little ring under the knob that you pull up in order to get the transmission into reverse. We have had a problem with the shift knob actually popping off. Putting a little pipe thread tape in there seems to help provide enough resistance to keep the knob in place. When the knob stays in place, the shifting is smooth, but not overly satisfying.

Replacement keys are expensive -- like $700. The seller paid for our second key, but I dealt with the dealer to get it. On the phone, a parts guy told me they had one. When I showed up in person, the parts guy said they didn't. I said I was told on the phone that there was one, and he fessed up and gave me the key.

In the 2.5 years we have had the car, we have had two repairs I didn't expect. We had the fuel sensor replaced (under warranty). And we had to replace the clutch (at 52,500 miles). The clutch cost $1,800. I don't think that SWMBO is that hard on clutches (her prior car's original clutch lasted to 175K miles), so I don't know whether to fault the clutch itself or the prior owner.

At the end of the day, I'm pretty happy with the car. It looks great. In wagon trim it easily transports the family and our stuff.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
12/12/13 8:14 a.m.

Buy it. This is what my almostwife wants to replace the Protege.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
12/12/13 8:40 a.m.

Well if this comes home, I get it.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
12/12/13 8:41 a.m.

In reply to ryejeff:

Thanks for the input. I was not expecting that for the keys.

Aspen
Aspen New Reader
12/12/13 8:41 a.m.

Keys are easily available now, they were scarce for a while. Nordicspeed has them for about $140 plus you need one working key to program with a Tech2. So you are looking at about $250 for a replacement.

Other wise it is a good car with above average reliability. Great value. I have owned a 9-3 sportcombi for 6 years now.

You will likely be tempted to get an ECU tune. Go for it.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/12/13 9:08 a.m.

Get it. Those are on my short list when I have to give up my 9-5.

cdowd
cdowd Reader
12/12/13 9:23 a.m.

My wife drives a 2010 2.0 sedan ans loves it. we had an 04 before it. they are very good cars for the money. most of the parts issues seem to be resolved now(keys ets). I would buy it if I were you.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
12/14/13 3:52 p.m.

Welp, I am driving my new (to me) Saab home from Iowa in a few minutes. It is a littlerougher arou nd the edges than I would like but overall it is pretty nice. Too unique to pass up.

Aspen
Aspen New Reader
12/14/13 8:49 p.m.

Congrats. Welcome to the Saab world. Saabcentral.com is very helpful to resolve problems.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
12/14/13 10:03 p.m.

plance1
plance1 Dork
12/15/13 12:13 p.m.

did u check the pixels?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j5d1votzm7pHr5Y8W61hWvyszZNX5C0zG2IA60Qw9LqtpIsxY81PPjiPFDsroDaz