DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
9/13/10 10:39 a.m.
feature_image

I love that the "related project car" is a 59 Edsel.

Read the rest of the story

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
9/13/10 11:44 a.m.

Nit picky Joe but it is a inline 6 banger sitting along the front axle. Which is a tight packaging job and is offered by volvo in the v70 a s60 as well. Already at 300 HP there is a glimmer of hope that Volvo will offer a performance AWD versions of this drive-train so that people like me who like the comfort, utility, and relative ergonomic simplicity of fast volvo wagons will have something to buy in few years when when they depreciate like led balloons whilst hitting the used market. I like the way inline sixes sound.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/14/10 8:47 a.m.

Good call Shaun, it is a straight six. Certainly nothing wrong with the powerplant in the XC60. If Volvo can figure out how to smooth out the throttle response / transmission operation, this could be a great powertrain. I'd love to see this engine in a smaller-- lighter package.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/10/13 12:00 a.m.

Yesterday's SUVs are starting to be replaced by today's car-based crossovers. And for those who don't need something so huge, there's the compact crossover.

Volvo's entry into this world is their XC60. It appeared stateside more than a year ago as a 2010 model. Land Rover helped with the off-road setup.

The R-Design package, which we sampled, adds a bit more street to the formula with 20-inch wheels, a sport-tuned suspension and an aero package. It's kind of like a car that's been turned into a truck that's been turned back into a car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JEaeCqEdmuvK2imc1arjkFk3JiIx22lkJJdS0N3KQcBoRAl3CzLYtQvJnHzUFy8j