MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/6/11 10:08 p.m.

Continues

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/6/11 11:01 p.m.

Painting the challenge car on registration day is pretty much par for the course with this car. I am still conflicted about whether living in the same city the Challenge takes place in is actually a good thing.

westsidetalon
westsidetalon New Reader
10/6/11 11:12 p.m.

cool halloween pumpkin edition theme

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/6/11 11:21 p.m.
westsidetalon wrote: cool halloween pumpkin edition theme

We wanted a color that would make people stand up and watch as we decimated their autocross times. (plus we don't have a rear window so we can't just use a stock paint job with a giant HOOLIGAN sticker on the rear glass as our theme )

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/6/11 11:43 p.m.

Needs a hood like the bucket

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/7/11 6:51 a.m.

MrJoshua laid down some wicked paint last night. I think he missed his calling as a painter! The "mumpkin" is looking good!

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
10/7/11 9:02 a.m.

Looks good!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/7/11 3:40 p.m.

5th place in the autocross. Currently running great at about 13psi. We will bolt on some nasty slicks tomorrow AM and put the Torsen to the test!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/7/11 4:06 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua:

13 psi? let us know when you sack up and start throwing some boost at it.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
10/7/11 4:17 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: In reply to MrJoshua: 13 psi? let us know when you sack up and start throwing some boost at it.

Step 1:

Grow some balls

Step 2:

Pull reference line

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
10/7/11 6:05 p.m.

13 psi's pretty impressive.

On a riding mower.

dyintorace
10/7/11 6:49 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: In reply to MrJoshua: 13 psi? let us know when you sack up and start throwing some boost at it.

As soon as you show up at the Challenge. Along with Poopie.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/7/11 6:52 p.m.

Note the "Currently" statement. (the purchase price included a spare engine )

dyintorace
10/7/11 7:07 p.m.

Here's where the little beasty started ~2 weeks ago:

dyintorace
10/7/11 7:09 p.m.

And here's how it looked today. Turned out pretty fantastic, thanks to MrJoshua.

dyintorace
10/7/11 7:10 p.m.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
10/7/11 8:21 p.m.
dyintorace wrote:
As soon as you show up at the Challenge. Along with Poopie.

Be there in 15 hours. Be wary of the hong norr canexican mind trick, while teh p00 secretly, silently, makes several turns on thee olde granger valve.

AngryCorvair
10/8/11 8:14 a.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

oh no, not the canexican mind trick! that never ends well...

AngryCorvair
10/8/11 8:15 a.m.

and yeah, orange with black rims looks great! very smart to choose a color that matches the cones. penalty? what penalty? that's not a cone, that's part of the car!

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
10/8/11 9:34 a.m.

Yeah....I thought that paint looked great

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/8/11 10:10 p.m.

5th in autocross and 8th overall. Spirit award. Lol-3 appearances and 2 spirit awards, feels like this car needs to join the Glee Club!

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
10/8/11 10:29 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: 5th in autocross and 8th overall.

Awesome!

(BTW, I loved the suede texture of the paint. Did you add a flattener to it before spraying? Spray with a specific technique?.....I'd love to do my datsun in a suede or flat tan.....)

dyintorace
10/9/11 8:19 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: and yeah, orange with black rims looks great! very smart to choose a color that matches the cones. penalty? what penalty? that's not a cone, that's part of the car!

Great minds think alike. Others told us the exact same thing!

Ironically, out of 5 runs that Alan made, cones were involved in 4. He had us in the 44s each of those 4 runs, with front brakes locking each time due to the front springs bottoming out.

dyintorace
10/9/11 8:21 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: 5th in autocross and 8th overall.
Awesome! (BTW, I loved the suede texture of the paint. Did you add a flattener to it before spraying? Spray with a specific technique?.....I'd love to do my datsun in a suede or flat tan.....)

Joey, thanks for the compliment! No special technique. It is Tractor Supply tractor paint (the restoration version), with Tractor Supply thinner and hardener added. Frankly, we weren't go for the suede look though! That's 2 coats of paint (we were going to do 3 but ran out of desiccant) sprayed through an HF gun powered by an HF compressor.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IoEf1E9T4EpmTKnv61tuKWCHGPtvZ6y2Wj0NFSSVOrpDjbHoXAojPywYpNPKsz8F