aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
6/11/20 2:38 p.m.

My 2011 Expedition exhaust manifolds are leaking badly, thinking it makes sense to replace them with headers.

So who makes decent price effective headers for this truck? What would you recommend and why?

Steve

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/20 2:59 p.m.

G'day mate!

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/11/20 3:05 p.m.

In reply to aussiesmg :

You're back!!!!!

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
6/11/20 3:28 p.m.

I would honestly put some manifolds back on it.  Shorty headers are just going to crack and you'll be back at square one.  You probaly just need new gaskets though.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
6/12/20 3:30 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Just been busy for a while

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/20 6:40 p.m.

The aftermarket has you covered on manifolds.  They make ones that are beefier than the weaksauce OEMs.

Lots of guys have done headers on a 5.4L and noticed zero improvement in power, which either suggests that the factory manifolds aren't that bad, or the factory cam/heads/etc aren't craving more exhaust.

If you go headers, look for the thickest flanges.  3/8" minimum, although with the staggered bolt pattern they have, 5/16" might do the trick.  Flowmaster makes some (or at least used to) that were 3/8" flange, stainless tube AND ceramic coated.  They were a bit expensive, but not terrible.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/20 6:41 p.m.
Patientzero said:

I would honestly put some manifolds back on it.  Shorty headers are just going to crack and you'll be back at square one.  You probaly just need new gaskets though.

Not on a 5.4L.  The manifolds warp terribly.  In some situations, enough to snap the shaft of the bolts.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f6AYF3UYrdnQuZhjfwP1O3Ufd9oTu7tDJPX4UoRlhvKy8DoKgVG8uXosp3AQJ7mB