forzav12
forzav12 HalfDork
4/12/11 9:31 a.m.
feature_image

The big Ford does a great job of combining comfort, an impressive array of features and performance. Comparisons with EVOs ans STI's aren't really valid as the SHO is a much nicer vehicle. As to the weight, checked out the curb weights of other comparable cars lately? Many luxo-sport sedans are every bit as heavy as the Ford. Considering that …

Read the rest of the story

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
4/12/11 2:55 p.m.

One note- AFAIK, a manual option is NOT available. The paddles allow you manual control, though.

shoman04
shoman04 None
12/12/11 12:33 a.m.

Hi guys, you guys put the M3 in front of the SHO but not even a fair compair. the M3 is a 2 dr. 67K loaded(25k more) , 700lb lighter, 40hp more, but only .9 (1/4 mi) .8 (0 to 60) faster than the SHO. M5 is more the same cars but for the same # drifferents its 80k loaded. AS A EVERYDAY JOE, I can afford the SHO (I have a 11 Kona blue SHO) but not M3 surely not M5

Tom Heath
Tom Heath UberDork
12/21/11 2:15 p.m.

@ Shoman04- The "better than/not as good as" bits are more fun than for any serious comparison. A 335i xDrive would be a better benchmark in a real test. I'm not sure what a "regular" SHO is either.

@ Alfa- You're correct. I'm not where the reviewer got that information, but it's fixed in the text now.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
1/1/13 3:58 a.m.

"The paddles allow you manual control, though. "

Ya, fake manual control. This isn't a dual clutch gearbox, it is a regular autotragic.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/10/13 12:00 a.m.

Welcome back, Taurus SHO. For lack of better words, the original 1989 SHO simply blew our minds. What, a high-output Taurus that really was high-output? How did that get past the committee?

The original SHO featured a Yamaha-developed, 3.0-liter engine backed by a five-speed transmission. Its 220 horsepower may seem tame today, but in 1989 that was serious stuff. Back in the late '80s, four-door sedans just didn't misbehave like that.

The SHO remained part of the Taurus lineup through two redesigns before finally leaving the option list after the 1999 model year. Even the Taurus nameplate itself went away for a while, replaced with the rather generic Five Hundred badge.

First the Taurus came trotting back, and the SHO soon followed. It was new for 2010.

The latest SHO features all-wheel drive plus a twin-turbo, 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 that pushes 365 horsepower through a six-speed automatic transmission.

Our car also had something called Rapid Spec 402A ($3500 for heated and cooled front seats, power moonroof, Sony audio system, rear sunshade and some other frills) plus a $995 SHO Performance Package that included a 3.16:1 final drive and 245/45 tires. Finally, the voice-activated navigation system added $1850 to the tally.

But wait, there's more. We also put this one on the corner-weighting scales. Total weight was 4278 pounds.

LF: 1301 RF: 1283

LR: 852 RR: 842

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
owpmaZtzAgU9qT5MRdLRWnvPXWM6EtFvJdSv6xzE4aY01XbMpLzfGaMXlFjnT4Lf