ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
11/22/10 1:39 p.m.
feature_image

Intriguing to me that there's comments here as to the towing rating, but nothing as to the actual seat-of-the-pants power a truck like this is supposed to put down.

We've got comments about the ride quality, ease of ingress/egress, rear-seat leg-room, and how smooth it shifts, but no one giggling about smoking some poseur car at a stoplight?

You …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/22/10 2:25 p.m.

We did floor it. Then we had to buy gas.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
11/22/10 7:11 p.m.

David...I hope not, since your test truck had a diesel engine!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/22/10 10:34 p.m.

I've got the Dodge equivalent - more or less. 2500 instead of 3500 means a better ride and still enough towing capacity to deal with anything I'm planning to hook up. I went for a 6-speed stick. It's not a drag racer, that's for sure - those gears don't last long before it's time to shift. But it's got that feeling of inevitability - if you want to go somewhere, nothing will stop you.

For the climbing in and out, get a set of running boards. Around here, every big truck has a set.

2wd trucks are for posers. Real trucks have 4wd.

Lincolnman
Lincolnman
11/22/10 10:48 p.m.

No, they're quite different. The Cummins is an inline 6 real diesel (not to mention lower power) and the Duramax although impressive is really still a light duty V8 motor. Also, you have a solid front axle and the Chevrolet has an independent. You have more truck with a 3/4 than their tonner. I say this as the (regrettable) owner of a crew long Chevrolet tonner.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/24/10 6:43 a.m.

Did your hootus grow longer when you drove it?

David S. Wallens
12/2/10 8:19 a.m.

Sadly, no, no reports of hootus enlargement.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
12/5/10 9:47 p.m.

The brakes as described in the spec field concern me. Although a lack of fade is desirable, I am not sure eliminating fade is worth eliminating the brakes entirely, and relying on trailer brakes would (obviously) necessitate towing a trailer at all times. Which is cool, true..., especially if you are towing a fleet of Miatas. But still, a truck should have a good set of binders, front and rear.

David S. Wallens
12/10/13 12:00 a.m.

Sometimes you have to tow something big--like a race car trailer, a houseboat, or a small New England state. That's where monster trucks like the GMC Sierra 3500 HD come in. Properly configured, this beast can tow more than 21,000 pounds--that's like a fleet of Miatas.

Our test truck was nicely equipped to work. While the Vortec 6.0-liter V8 is standard, we had the 6.6-liter turbo-diesel Duramax backed by an Allison six-speed automatic. (Those are $7195 and $1200 options respectively, by the way.) The gross vehicle weight rating of this particular truck was a handy 11,500 pounds.

Other options included the SLE package ($980 to get dual-zone a/c, a six-way power driver's seat, USB port, fog lamps and some other thrills) plus $455 for the integrated trailer brake controller. Strip away the options, and the Sierra 3500 4WD Crew SRW SLE is a $40,485 truck.

Go with the most basic 3500 HD--regular cab, two-wheel drive and a long box--and you're looking at $28,805. Honestly, that's a lot of dragging capability for a reasonable price. Figure the wimpiest 3500 HD can tow at least 13,000 pounds. That's at least six Miatas, right?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
22JrPdNNWhJ2BGkLz2BpcsFkc8qTTKyffp8I4ft7FcfjzNeJ9H5hT1piacVQZp3n