1 2 3 4 ... 7
Gasoline
Gasoline New Reader
10/12/11 8:25 a.m.

May want to consider the movie "Death Race 2000" XJS look also......

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
10/12/11 8:26 a.m.

My Jag friends say the stock bottom end can handle >1K HP.

spin_out
spin_out Reader
10/12/11 8:32 a.m.

Go with the Group 44 theme .... We want a photo of our Group 44 TR8 next to your $2012 Jag. :)

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
10/12/11 9:33 a.m.

There's an XJS race series in the UK put on by the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club. JEC Racing Series You may be able to find some good info on cutting the weight of the car from what they do. I've tried to find info on competitor's cars but haven't had much luck. You may have better luck on their forums, though from a quick glance it looks like it's mostly dedicated to road going cars. JEC Bulletin Board

Good luck with the car, I'm really looking forward to seeing the progress.

Bob

silence
silence New Reader
10/12/11 10:04 a.m.

very cool

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
10/12/11 10:25 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: My Jag friends say the stock bottom end can handle >1K HP.

What's the weak link in the Jag chain?

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
10/12/11 10:52 a.m.
914Driver wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: My Jag friends say the stock bottom end can handle >1K HP.
What's the weak link in the Jag chain?

The wiring.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/12/11 11:09 a.m.

That will be very cool.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
10/12/11 11:18 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Come on I call foul, how did you do that for less than $2012. Sorry, just warming up for next year..... l keed, I keed

He got it for that because those v12's are about as prone to running for extended periods of time as Biturbos.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/12/11 11:23 a.m.

So, with that statement above, I think the challenge has been laid down...who is going to bring a BiTurbo?

I am eagerly watching for XJS progress!

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/12/11 11:30 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: I absolutely love those cars, but I fear them like the zombie apocalypse.

That's pretty much my stance on Jaguars in general. On craigslist all the time. Cheap enough to buy, cheap enough to serve as a warning to just walk away.

PS122
PS122 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/12/11 1:13 p.m.
Cheap enough to buy, cheap enough to serve as a warning to just walk away.

I gotta remember that.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
10/12/11 1:15 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
aussiesmg wrote: Come on I call foul, how did you do that for less than $2012. Sorry, just warming up for next year..... l keed, I keed
He got it for that because those v12's are about as prone to running for extended periods of time as Biturbos.

There is a guy in the local British car club who daily drove one for several years with almost no problems.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
10/12/11 1:35 p.m.

Faint praise.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
10/12/11 1:55 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
mndsm wrote:
There is a guy in the local British car club who daily drove one for several years with almost no problems.

Jags are plenty reliable. I used to daily an XJ40 and it was every bit as reliable as my 1.6 Miata. I never had the opportunity to buy a V12, but all of my second hand experience with them says that if you treat it well, it returns the favor. If the kit put a T56 in an XJS didn't cost so much I'd buy one tomorrow.

speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
10/12/11 1:59 p.m.

If or when the V12 gives up the ghost I'll just pop a 350 in it.It already has a turbo 400 with the chevy bolt pattern.I've researched shocks for it and can only find KYB or Koni non adjustable.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
10/12/11 2:11 p.m.

There are Bilsteins available as well. http://www.thedrivenman.com/Jaguar/Shocks.htm

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Reader
10/12/11 2:11 p.m.

I had one the same color. It was my DD and was fairly reliable for an older car, but a bitch to work on. Changing plugs required several hours and tools a gynecologist would love.

Overheating due to stuck centrifugal advance and engine fires due to deteriorating FI hoses are the weakest links.

In autocross it makes a great grand tourer. I did a Jag autocross with it and it plowed so badly that the rubber on the outside of both front tires was liquified and smoking at the end.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/11 3:20 p.m.
Gasoline wrote: May want to consider the movie "Death Race 2000" XJS look also......

no.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/12/11 3:21 p.m.
Gasoline wrote: OK, so for the second night in a row I have dreamed about Bright Green Corvettes. Thank you very much..... I woke up alot. I thinks this means I am gunning for BGC's come $2012. Paint the Jaguar Green and I will add it to the to-do list. Thanks again, Tom

YES!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
10/12/11 3:27 p.m.

I once dated a doctor's daughter and he bought a 12-cylinder XJ-S new back in the late 1980's. He loved the car when it worked. It just didn't work that often. Lots of time in the shop. The final straw was when he was in NYC going to some function where he was to give a talk, and the A/C died--in July. He showed up drenched in sweat. The car was traded hours after that.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
10/12/11 3:50 p.m.

.... is going to bring a BiTurbo?

I got that covered...

Looking forward to seeing this happen!

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
10/12/11 3:53 p.m.

I like THIS direction!

Gasoline
Gasoline New Reader
10/13/11 7:41 a.m.

An idea for paint. Sure makes me want a Jaguar race car. I wonder what late model XKR bodys go for $$$?

dlmater
dlmater GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/13/11 8:21 a.m.
ScottRA21 wrote: I like THIS direction!

+1. Now I have something else to add to my want list.

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
remQjV4KZKgczfeenH5HOfeiGpiDZokjJsSyRgBeCbkWgJMA6HZrwDDQJbmVESMe