1 2 3 ... 7
Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
3/26/12 4:39 p.m.

Rules are live at: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/2012challenge/

Just click the rules button on the right.

Notable changes: We added an award for people who don't want to bring an E30, Miata, RX-7, Civic, DSM, or K-car. Compete to bring the weirdest thing. Anything from a former Iron Curtain country has a pretty strong chance of taking that one.

We also added tire allowance for anyone who runs Kumhos. If you run Kumhos, you don't have to count them in your budget.

Sorry, the "Enter" button is still broke. We're working on it.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/26/12 4:54 p.m.

Free tires!!?!?!?!!!!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
3/26/12 4:57 p.m.
Alan Cesar wrote: Rules are live at: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/2012challenge/ Just click the rules button on the right. Notable changes: We added an award for people who don't want to bring an E30, Miata, RX-7, Civic, DSM, or K-car. Compete to bring the weirdest thing. Anything from a former Iron Curtain country has a pretty strong chance of taking that one. We also added tire allowance for anyone who runs Kumhos. If you run Kumhos, you don't have to count them in your budget.[b/] Sorry, the "Enter" button is still broke. We're working on it.

Ugh. Seriously?

Javelin
3/26/12 5:01 p.m.

Predicting every Challenge car to have a full set of V710's, a full set of W710's, and maybe a pair of XS's for the drags.

92CelicaHalfTrac
3/26/12 5:03 p.m.

Predicting i don't have the money to be competitive in a $2012 budget challenge.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/26/12 5:03 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
Alan Cesar wrote: Rules are live at: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/2012challenge/ Just click the rules button on the right. Notable changes: We added an award for people who don't want to bring an E30, Miata, RX-7, Civic, DSM, or K-car. Compete to bring the weirdest thing. Anything from a former Iron Curtain country has a pretty strong chance of taking that one. We also added tire allowance for anyone who runs Kumhos. If you run Kumhos, you don't have to count them in your budget.[b/] Sorry, the "Enter" button is still broke. We're working on it.
Ugh. Seriously?

I was thinking the same thing. Guess I will be looking for some V710s if I can afford them...

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
3/26/12 5:10 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Predicting every Challenge car to have a full set of V710's, a full set of W710's, and maybe a pair of XS's for the drags.

Above poster has never been to a Challenge. If he had, he'd realize they were all cheap berkeleyers* and will still probably use used A6s.

*Not that I don't love you guys.

Javelin
3/26/12 5:13 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Predicting i don't have the money to be competitive in a $2012 budget challenge.

No E36 M3! I just priced a set of 225/15's for the 944 - $908 on TR without shipping! If I want to use the Javelin (275/17's) we're talking $1,192 plus shipping! Heck, even if I go buy a $500 RX-7 to put my 14's on, I'd still need to spend $752 (plus shipping) to be "even" with everybody else.

Javelin
3/26/12 5:15 p.m.

In reply to Osterkraut:

I spectated at Orlando once by accident. I think it was the $1500 Challenge then. But yes, you're right. You guys are all super cheap, so it will be used V710's.

92CelicaHalfTrac

Yep, mine are $1028 without shipping... and they don't even make a tire in the size i need other than the V710s anyways. Sooo... a grand for autox tires, and then otherwise i'm using old RS2s (ooooolllddd RS2s) that i still have to take a budget hit on.

Le Sigh. Hoping Osterkraut's predictions are extremely true.

mndsm
mndsm UberDork

man, that hurts a guy like me. Guess my tires are counting

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
3/26/12 5:20 p.m.

Not sure how I feel about that either, I can buy new tires but doesn't that defeat the whole idea of the event?

Maybe it should be no budget hit for used Kumhos

GTB_ZR1
GTB_ZR1 New Reader
3/26/12 5:22 p.m.

I have a feeling I may be driving on some new V710s on a few of the cars...

Javelin
3/26/12 5:22 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Maybe it should be no budget hit for used Kumhos

Casual spectator-man supports this!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/26/12 5:23 p.m.

In my size they are only $716... That sucks cause my only chance to do well is in the autocross....

92CelicaHalfTrac
3/26/12 5:25 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: In my size they are only $716... That sucks cause my only chance to do well is in the autocross....

I'm more mad that Kumho doesn't make cheater drag tires, to be honest. Traction is really all i'm lacking to pull a 10, and i'd really like to show the Mopars what's up.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
3/26/12 5:27 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Not sure how I feel about that either, I can buy new tires but doesn't that defeat the whole idea of the event? Maybe it should be no budget hit for used Kumhos

Guys, guys, shut up. It currently apparently just reads "Kumhos don't count toward budget." Stay cool, stay cool.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/26/12 5:30 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: In my size they are only $716... That sucks cause my only chance to do well is in the autocross....
I'm more mad that Kumho doesn't make cheater drag tires, to be honest. Traction is really all i'm lacking to pull a 10, and i'd really like to show the Mopars what's up.

Find used V710s for the autocross then use whatever you budgeted for tires before for drag slicks. Remeber drag slicks don't have to be DOT legal.

92CelicaHalfTrac
3/26/12 5:36 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
Find used V710s for the autocross then use whatever you budgeted for tires before for drag slicks. Remeber drag slicks don't have to be DOT legal.

That gets complicated and a space problem... I was honestly planning on competing on the tires i was driving down on... With V710s and drag tires, i'm transporting 6 wheels and tires inside the car.

I guess i don't really care much the more i think about it.... we'll just see what the tire situation is when the time gets closer.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
3/26/12 5:47 p.m.

Having not entered the challenge (yet), I'm not sure I get the objection on the Kumho rule... seems to me that it's a good excuse to buy some good tires that help the car perform better without having to hurt the requisite challenge budget for it. Of course, I'm assuming that many of the entrants (especially those that are real contenders for top honors) have the money outside the requisite challenge budget to afford buying dedicated tires (which I honestly believe is probably true). But I'm sure this'll also turn into a popular excuse why some teams didn't place better among the competitors, which may or may not be true.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/26/12 5:49 p.m.

In reply to darkbuddha:

I think the objection comes from the fact that this is supposed to be a low budget event and some of us can barely swing the money for the just $2012 car (which is really a $2500) and suddenly the cars become about a $3500 car.

Honestly I don't care. I will probably buy new V710s and then use them for the next autocross season.

Javelin
3/26/12 5:55 p.m.

It's already a $2500-$3000+ car (because of parts sell off and current freebies). Adding on another $1000+ pretty much kills any intent of it being a "budget" event.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
3/26/12 7:02 p.m.

then kumho tires it is....if i can afford to get some

BTW, you guys need to edit rule #4 so that it refers to rule #28, not rule #27

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
3/26/12 7:21 p.m.

Alternate to the tire debate- I heard rumors of an "atlanta" clause wherein shipping on parts no longer counted because anyone in ATL has an unfair advantage. Is this true? I did not see it in the rules.

speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
3/26/12 8:17 p.m.

Let the games begin!! We just pulled our challenge car out today and started working on it.

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MVGNKoL7XgSLOIIzegawyYaHL5ukejg9rqKkyAkrBvSKsm3awQOGQI2yb7QLJ20J