bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/4/21 8:05 a.m.

So this is the wife's car. HAd it for a little over 2 months now, purchased with 87k miles on it. Apparently these have OLM as at 4500 miles since we purchased it the screen says CHANGE ME! OK, not quite but close enough. I'd also gotten new spark plugs for it as it's at 91k miles and a fresh can of Seafoam. Also had a new shift boot as the one in the car had a burn hole. 

This is, quite possibly, the easiest to work on vehicle mechanically I've ever had. Oil filter and drain plug are 8" apart. Easily fits the same pan at the same time. Spark plugs are easy to reach, and theres a perfect tool tray they call a cowl. After running 2/3 of a can of seafoam through the PCV hose, I let it sit for 5 minutes. Poured the rest into the fuel tank. Fired it up and damn did it smoke. Took 5 miles of harsh driving to get all the smoke out and after that it run silky smooth (for a 4-pot) and a tick quieter. Spark plugs took 15 minutes total and to be honest there was no real need as the Iridium NGK's that came from the factory were perfectly fine. Oil change was another nice surprise. Other than Gorilla hands that over tightened the crap out of the filter, everything else was done and over. I am a little surprised that it only takes 3.5 quarts of oil, but it's a NA 1.6 engine so does it really need more than that?

I am fairly certain it took longer to hang the new lights than to do all the work. So far the wife is averaging 34mpg on her daily commute since we brought it home. I have a feeling this car will be a gas, tires and oil machine.

One thing left to do is to replace the passenger mirror indicator. The one on the car is broken but being LED it still works. This looks to be a PITA more than the other stuff. The low beams seem pretty weak, so I might try some LEDs in the projector housings (seriously Hyundai/Kia, stop putting halogen bulbs in projectors they suck).

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
1/4/21 11:00 a.m.

Moved to builds/project cars

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/13/21 12:38 p.m.

Well, it's been over 6 months. Car now has 99,807+/- miles on it and it's had oil changes and the aforementioned maintenance when we bought it. Today the wife was driving and the tach went and stayed to zero. It's been hard to start occasionally with long cranking. She got it to my work, I went out and sure enough P0335 crank sensor code. Cleared the codes, cylced the key and it started right up and I sent her home. New cranks sensor gets installed tonight.

EDIT: I like these maintenance threads. I realized we have put 13k miles on in 6 months with nothing more than oil changes and gas. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/13/21 6:23 p.m.

Well that was a ridiculously easy job. 11 minutes including finding the Jack, stands and jacking it up. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/30/21 8:48 a.m.

I'm figuring out these little GDI engines do not like cheap 87 octane, high ambient temps and high load. The wife filled up at Sam's with 87 like always, then drove to Bloomington with the AC on, around there and back up through the hilly parts of the state in 93* temps. Car tripped the CEL for knock sensor. I had a very similar issue with my '13 recently when it was 92* after a Sam's fill up on cheap gas. 

So for now I have her filling it back up with some shell 93 and monitoring. The plugs showed no signs of detonation so I think we are still safe.... just outside the acceptable range of comfort for the engine.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/31/21 6:03 a.m.

finally got tint (on both) yesterday. Makes it much more enjoyable. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/27/22 8:54 a.m.

Been a while since I've mentioned this little booger. Good thing snce its he wife's daily. Just oil changes, a set of tires, one frozen rear caliper and then the recent boo boo.

Friday before leaving for the challenge wife wanted to take me to lunch. She was a little aggressive in her driving that morning and went flying into the Taco Bell parking lot, all the way up onto the curb far enough to drag subframe. Instantly puts it in reverse and backs off. Bumper on both sides pulled loose. Slapped it together enough for then and went about our way. Last night she complained her CEL was on (P0420) and her "lights shake when I back out of hte garage. Go out, clear the code, back out and sure enough, the right fog was dancing. Get out and it looks funny.... touch it and it falls into the bumper. Crap.

Started here. Fog light had sheared all 3 mounts of that black housing. The bracket at the fender won't stay tight. Well, since I'm this deep lets see what the other side is like and it's only  more clips to get the whole bumper off.

And we ended the night there. Glad I did, the left liner was held on by hopes and dreams at this point because the bottom that ties the bumper to the liner was sheared. Went in and shared the news and started parts searching. 

Good news is working for a body shop gives me access to lots of good prices. 2 OE parts and one aftermarket liner later we are in it for $58 in parts. Just have to wait until Monday and I can slap it all back together.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/31/22 6:55 p.m.

parts arrived. Got the bumper put back together before dinner. All back in one piece. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
12/11/22 11:00 a.m.

And just like that she's gone. No more matching cars. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xbmQsb5BOM1Ib5EyF6u9vQpP08IXVbeNcqhXI8U0NC9uvofU8pM6tnwdSKs1iYpr