Jerry
Jerry Dork
9/23/13 8:46 a.m.

Is this a normal thing? My boss just had the engine replaced over the weekend & acts like it's no big deal. At least his 5th Jeep, and every one has had issues.

Is this just daily routine now?

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/23/13 9:07 a.m.

All 2013 model year Jeep models, or just one in particular? All the engines too?

(More info!)

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/23/13 9:13 a.m.

Since he has had 5 and all appear to have "issues" I would suspect operator error.

Like if the temp gauge goes up in to the red and / or the idiot light come on it does not mean keep driving until you can get it serviced. It means stop driving it NOW. This is a lesson I had to practically pound in to my daughters heads when they got there first cars.

They have since learned but it was a costly lesson for them.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
9/23/13 9:14 a.m.

He's had years from the mid-late 90s because I started here in '98, and has bought at least 3-4 more over the years. Either for himself, the wife, or an extra company car (for a tech that lasted like 3 months).

Mostly Grand Cherokee, usually Laredo. Brake issues, fuel pump and gas tank replacements, I forget what else over the years. It just struck me that the local garage told him he had major issues with the check engine light, and the dealer said he cracked the head & needed a new engine.

40k miles, either 2012 or 2013, and he's just "meh, oh well."

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
9/23/13 9:18 a.m.

I have a friend that is a Mopar mechanic at a Chrysler/Dodge dealership, and he was telling me about a certain fairly new model that has head problems. Maybe the Caravan, but I forget. It isn't that uncommon though according to him.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
9/23/13 9:18 a.m.

gas tanks replacements? What happened to the gas tanks?

I've had a few....87 Wrangler, 99 Cherokee, and 2012 Wrangler. no major issues other than the POS carb on the 87.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/23/13 11:09 a.m.

Cylinder head issues with the 3.6 are 'common knowledge' to people who deal with new chryslers. I don't know much about it, personally.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
9/24/13 7:22 p.m.

It's funny how some people have a run of bad (or good) luck with a given brand. My wife had a '99 Cherokee with no problems. Her '04 Liberty has been quite good. Her folks had a series of Jeeps over a couple of decades that were all fine and dandy.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OWmxerX6Cbsl9XEhMPIvWKl6DQkPtx4WdvonnmJa9eWMyPUENxzqXGcKLcpg71Sc