EdHigginbotham
EdHigginbotham Editorial Assistant
12/4/14 9:21 a.m.
feature_image

The Fiat 500L is an attempt to scale up the 500, much like Mini did with the Countryman. However, the 500L's styling seems kind of lost in limbo. Is it a wagon? Is it a hatchback? A miniature crossover? It doesn't really matter if it fits what you want: a small Italian-styled car you can cram your small family into. …

Read the rest of the story

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
12/4/14 10:17 a.m.

And by that, you mean people who look at someone who is morbidly obese and says that they look good. The 500L looks like a 500 that took on a E36 M3 load of water weight

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
12/4/14 10:22 a.m.

Does the regular 500 have a good reliability record? A relative is getting out of her one owner new beetle, with 56k original miles, because of reliability issues, so we're looking for a replacement. However, it has GOT to be more reliable than the beetle and would like something with a little personality.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
12/4/14 10:28 a.m.
EdHigginbotham wrote: Bottom line, this car is for those who really want a 500, but are legally blind.

FTFY.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
12/4/14 10:30 a.m.
Cotton wrote: Does the regular 500 have a good reliability record? A relative is getting out of her one owner new beetle, with 56k original miles, because of reliability issues, so we're looking for a replacement. However, it has GOT to be more reliable than the beetle and would like something with a little personality.

From what I've read and experienced firsthand, yes. Our '12 500 Pop is nearing 30k miles and has had zero problems.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
12/4/14 10:35 a.m.
Powar wrote:
Cotton wrote: Does the regular 500 have a good reliability record? A relative is getting out of her one owner new beetle, with 56k original miles, because of reliability issues, so we're looking for a replacement. However, it has GOT to be more reliable than the beetle and would like something with a little personality.
From what I've read and experienced firsthand, yes. Our '12 500 Pop is nearing 30k miles and has had zero problems.

Good to hear because it's on our short list. I doubt she'll do 30k miles in 5-6 years.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
12/4/14 10:39 a.m.

To me, it seems like a car for people who want a small car but don't want a small car...

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
12/4/14 12:22 p.m.

Wife had a 500c and traded it in for a 500L and I bought a 500T. For her, it's still a quick, fun, easy to park, easy to throw around car with two extra doors for running around. When our son was a kid, he could (barely) fit in the back of the 500c, but now that he's 13, the 500L is much more practical. She got the six speed (as opposed to the weird dual clutch auto thing) and enjoys flogging it on a regular basis. Plus, it's actually quicker than mine (which she reminds/shows me on a regular basis).

Sure it's not the prettiest thing, and I didn't like her choice of colors (maroon), but actually enjoy driving it and am amazed at how much room it really has. The doors are really thin to the point that I have to lean to the left a bit to put my arm on the armrest.

-Rob

EvanR
EvanR Dork
12/4/14 12:59 p.m.

I still don't trust cars that are made in Mexico. And I probably never will.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
12/4/14 2:02 p.m.
EvanR wrote: I still don't trust cars that are made in Mexico. And I probably never will.

People said the same thing about cars made in Japan. And South Korea.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/4/14 4:19 p.m.
Powar wrote:
EvanR wrote: I still don't trust cars that are made in Mexico. And I probably never will.
People said the same thing about cars made in Japan. And South Korea.

500L is made is Serbia.

Im approaching 60k on my 500L. I still like it. Although I have to take it in to the body shop next week after some minor deer damage.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
12/5/14 4:21 a.m.

Fiat 500 blog started by a friend of mine in the Fiat club. He's a true believer--or was, until his 500 needed an engine. Read and weep: Fiat Ownership in the New World

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
12/5/14 6:04 a.m.

12.5k on my Abarth already. Zero issues.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/14 6:48 a.m.

In reply to logdog:

Is Serbia better than Mexico?

So far Joy the Fiat has 43,000 miles. It's only problem has been a burned out headlight and the wife still smiles whenever she drives it.

logdog
12/5/14 7:09 a.m.
Wally wrote: In reply to logdog: Is Serbia better than Mexico?

Who knows? But its Euro, yo.

wae
wae HalfDork
12/5/14 7:18 a.m.

I had a 500L as a rental and I thought it was just really weird. The best thing I could say about it is that it seemed very Italian. The view out the cockpit was just weird, with the little windows forward of the doors and the dash being set back so far. It was a little bit buzzy on the highway and didn't really seem comfortable at speed. There was plenty of room in the car, but I still wouldn't be able to get three booster seats across the back. Overall, it seemed to me like the answer to a question that no one should ever ask.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
12/5/14 10:29 a.m.
Wally wrote: In reply to logdog: Is Serbia better than Mexico?

Fiat buys Yugo plant

Grand Opening

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/5/14 12:54 p.m.

Sometimes the jokes write themselves.

logdog
12/5/14 3:36 p.m.

Yugos are the kind of cars this board loves. Wait until they quit selling the 500L due to low sales and in 15 years somebody on here will be a collector. The common opinion will be that it was a great car that "appliance buyers in the mid 2010s didnt understand".

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5YJr8JdVMU69MG6pR3dlER8Gp0JasOXS11vm8FVkwSo3NM8eQEk31tX6IcT4PMC5