1 2
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/13 11:25 a.m.

In reply to ransom:

Complete, 100%, all-new, didn't reuse a damn thing.

It's built on the SkyActiv modular platform ("kit"), the same basic bones they are using for the CX-5 and 6. Note that a kit is not a platform in the traditional sense (ie - Fox, Panther, etc).

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
6/26/13 11:31 a.m.

Looks so much better without the stupid smiley face...

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
6/26/13 11:55 a.m.
I'm also 6'. It's not that I can't sit there, but we ruled out anything that didn't allow my knees to completely clear the seatback when sitting in the rear.

Im 6' and i never put the tallest person behind the driver. If a 6' person doesnt fit behind me, that just means i cant fit 3 people my own height or taller. I can still fit two. People seem to forget that very tall people can still sit in the front passenger seat AND slide it forward, meaning two very tall people can usually sit on the passenger side of most normal sized cars.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/26/13 12:02 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

I have a lot of tallish friends (6' isn't exactly pro basketball territory), hence my requirement to put four six-footers in the car at the same time, comfortably.

It limits the number of compact hatches we looked at, but there were still multiple cars that passed the test. I was surprised when the WRX fit well (I went to the lot on a quick errand to rule it out and free myself of the temptation; that didn't work )

I'm not saying a car is bad/useless/whatever because it doesn't pass this test; only that it's a test which is important to me.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
6/26/13 1:09 p.m.

I didn't read that huge wall of text, any mention of a Speed 3 variant?

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
6/26/13 1:26 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

Sorry about the Word Castle.

No mention of a Speed 3 yet, or a US-spec Diesel version. I would like to have one of each if that happens.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
6/26/13 1:32 p.m.
kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
6/26/13 1:39 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: And now a bunch of pics from a real car! http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/26/2014-mazda3-live-images-from-nyc-unveil/

Hmmm . . . may have to retract or at least qualify the previous "do want". In full profile, the nose reminds me of "Roxanne" and the back end looks like it needs a diaper change. I really like the quarter shots, so I'm still interested in seeing it in person though.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/26/13 1:39 p.m.

Dead sexy. I really like it.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
6/26/13 1:45 p.m.

I rather like the new look. The 2007 3 I have still looks pretty good to me, especially by comparison to the smiley face models that came after it.

Would this get me to replace mine? From some angles, yes, from others no. Overall, I think it's more handsome. I like the interior better as well, aside from that screen that looks like a tablet wedged into the dash.

If this comes as an AWD Mazdaspeed monster, or a very efficient turbo diesel, I would give it a look as a replacement for mine in a few more years.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
6/26/13 1:52 p.m.

Styling? Meh.

AWD+35mpg? Cool.

Diesel? Better.

The front end looks long.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
6/26/13 2:14 p.m.

The front end does look a bit long. I don't know if that red color is doing it any favors either. I'd like to see one in the same white that I have on my 2012.

It really looks like a smaller hatchback version of the 6 though, and that is a good thing.

slowride
slowride Reader
6/26/13 2:26 p.m.

Some the pictures I saw of the new 6 made it look exactly the same way. I think it's a goofy angle. I've seen a few new 6s in the wild now and didn't notice it.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
6/26/13 2:47 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
SilverFleet wrote: A couple more shots:
This shot worries me, it makes the front of the car look disproportionaly long

Very similar to my Impreza in that respect.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
6/26/13 2:48 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: Don't forget to check Costco pricing on a new vehicle. It's less than dealer invoice

Every time I've done that I've been able to buy the car for thousands less than Costco's price. So for me it's JAR. (Just Another Ripoff)

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
6/26/13 7:37 p.m.

It has nice door handles. Beyond that they need to hire someone who can hire a designer.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/26/13 8:17 p.m.

Damn it. I didn't want a new car but that just looks so good that I'm just going to probably have to bite. With the 184 HP it ought to move pretty good. any word on the weight?

Edit. NM saw that it's 200 LB lighter than before. Hopefully it's not really loud and they saved weight from taking all the sound deadening out.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
6/26/13 9:00 p.m.

Looks awesome.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g1Wn8VQY4vvlnYLOoyqCY0Ggprgsx6uZOWGOPYIFmqoUpG3rXQYHBGoSwJxNxzzc