1 2 3 ... 7
Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/28/14 7:19 p.m.

(I didn't see an existing topic...)

This is my first ever, and my goal is to drive Subarust there (12hrs), compete (if you can call it that), and get home without incident. I'd like to not be last in class, and if I could place low-mid pack I would be amazed.

Who else will I see there?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/28/14 7:27 p.m.

I will be there in a blue Civic Si with orange wheels (if the plastidip comes in time). This is a friends car and we are driving in PF. There are a bunch of us traveling up from Texas. Find me and say hi.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
9/28/14 8:47 p.m.

Not me....I love rallycross, but not enough to drive the e30 (or tow it) 2600 miles round-trip. Good luck to you guys who are going though!

wae
wae HalfDork
9/28/14 9:14 p.m.

I think it's going to be about 1,500-1,600 round-trip for me.

The last time I took this car to a competition this soon after untested major renovations, it didn't go so well for me, so I'm a bit nervous about how this will turn out. I've got the new LSD in the new trans and the new trans in the car, new struts on the rear, and a bit of wiring dodgyness to work out yet. This may work out to be a disaster, but I plan to have a good time regardless =)

I'll have the (probably broken down) black 1gn turbo Neon bringing up the rear in MF.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/29/14 6:44 a.m.
wae wrote: The last time I took this car to a competition this soon after untested major renovations, it didn't go so well for me, so I'm a bit nervous about how this will turn out. ... This may work out to be a disaster....

How hard can it be?

crxmike
crxmike New Reader
9/29/14 7:03 a.m.

I will be there, in a prepped car this time around. Bringing up the rear in the rental Mustang last year was fun, but it will be nice to actually have snow/rally tires this year.

Mike in the White Neon with decals galore in Prep FWD

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/29/14 7:51 a.m.
crxmike wrote: I will be there, in a prepped car this time around. Bringing up the rear in the rental Mustang last year was fun, but it will be nice to actually have snow/rally tires this year. Mike in the White Neon with decals galore in Prep FWD

Yay! Another PF car!
I didn't know that was you in the mustang last year. It looked silly fun. My plan is to not be 'that guy' on the practice day. If I can do that, the weekend will be a success.

crxmike
crxmike New Reader
9/29/14 7:59 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Yay! Another PF car! I didn't know that was you in the mustang last year. It looked silly fun. My plan is to not be 'that guy' on the practice day. If I can do that, the weekend will be a success.

Well I know we chatted a little bit and I had wanted to really thank you for all your Porsche 911 posts, really gave me the bug for one. But then I didn't want to bother you after your Friday afternoon.

I was literally the slowest car last year with the Mustang, but man was it fun! Worked out having work travel in Tulsa and getting to fly out free.

cghstang
cghstang Dork
9/29/14 8:15 a.m.

I won't be there this year . Hope to be back next year. I'm excited to see how MR shakes out this time around.

crxmike
crxmike New Reader
9/29/14 8:34 a.m.

I am also going to look over the MR cars and drivers...just picked up a "free" 93 MR2 that is just begging for a V6 swap and some rally tires.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/29/14 11:25 a.m.
cghstang wrote: I won't be there this year . Hope to be back next year. I'm excited to see how MR shakes out this time around.

So: Who will place second? RX-7, Miata, or BMW?

cghstang
cghstang Dork
9/29/14 11:29 a.m.

In reply to Knurled: Depends on 1)what the weather does 2) types of courses 3) 10 other 'unknowns' that should not be discounted.

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
9/29/14 1:35 p.m.

I wish but the car is still broke and family is coming into town to visit. I am on track for next year's national event though :)

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/29/14 3:01 p.m.
crxmike wrote: I am also going to look over the MR cars and drivers...just picked up a "free" 93 MR2 that is just begging for a V6 swap and some rally tires.

My intention is to be there next year in MR in the RX7 as well.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/29/14 7:18 p.m.
cghstang wrote: In reply to Knurled: Depends on 1)what the weather does 2) types of courses 3) 10 other 'unknowns' that should not be discounted.

"10" other things, eh...

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
9/29/14 7:30 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
crxmike wrote: I am also going to look over the MR cars and drivers...just picked up a "free" 93 MR2 that is just begging for a V6 swap and some rally tires.
My intention is to be there next year in MR in the RX7 as well.

Would love to say "ditto" but next year's racing budget is likely to be used for Chump at Watkins Glen and Road America and VIR, which are easier to justify in terms of seat time vs. cost. Would surely be nice if Nationals would move from coast to coast bi-yearly, but I guess why there are the national challenge events.

But if Pete or Even win it this year, at least I'll be able to say "I beat the national champion" lol...for the nothing that's worth

Advan046
Advan046 Dork
9/29/14 9:10 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
cghstang wrote: In reply to Knurled: Depends on 1)what the weather does 2) types of courses 3) 10 other 'unknowns' that should not be discounted.
"10" other things, eh...

Yeah I showed up the national championships in Nebraska all hopeful and realized that neither set of tires would do anything on that surface. NOTHING..Sometimes it just takes 1 thing.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/30/14 1:27 p.m.
Advan046 wrote:
Knurled wrote:
"10" other things, eh...
Yeah I showed up the national championships in Nebraska all hopeful and realized that neither set of tires would do anything on that surface. NOTHING..Sometimes it just takes 1 thing.

Just looked at the weather forecast. Rain/storms every day today through Friday. It might be a little muddy.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/30/14 2:08 p.m.

Which could be good...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/30/14 2:19 p.m.

In reply to Jerry:

But dry Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. If they keep us off the race surface Friday, and it's sunny, and it drains well, it should be fine. Last year it rained on Friday which is what screwed things up. The course didn't seem bad on Sunday. Having said all that, I'm still trying to track down a tire cutter for the weekend.

crxmike
crxmike New Reader
9/30/14 2:48 p.m.

First hand reports from site (from June/July event)...surface is very hard and doesn't ever really rut up or get too muddy. I'm not too worried about a mudfest like last year...that was brutal in the 400 treadwear Mustang with 300hp.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
9/30/14 2:51 p.m.

I can't overstate the importance of matching accessories.

crxmike
crxmike New Reader
9/30/14 3:06 p.m.

So clean and still knobby. Wish my Winterforces still looked like that...maybe I should have picked up a pair. Eek.

My Neon has been so reliable and stout the last 3 years, have yet to suffer an event-ending failure. But with the long distance of Nats and all the build up, I can't help but be paranoid.

Setting out tomorrow evening, safe travels everyone.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/30/14 3:23 p.m.
crxmike wrote: First hand reports from site (from June/July event)...surface is very hard and doesn't ever really rut up or get too muddy. I'm not too worried about a mudfest like last year...that was brutal in the 400 treadwear Mustang with 300hp.

Reports from the Midwest Challenge last month say the surface is very soft and ruts easily.

crxmike
crxmike New Reader
9/30/14 3:39 p.m.
EvanB wrote:
crxmike wrote: First hand reports from site (from June/July event)...surface is very hard and doesn't ever really rut up or get too muddy. I'm not too worried about a mudfest like last year...that was brutal in the 400 treadwear Mustang with 300hp.
Reports from the Midwest Challenge last month say the surface is very soft and ruts easily.

Interesting...I guess we will find out shortly. ;-)

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zT3w0jaQiVPpZXpGnf64mWWEfhorZKWXpuHBugeQwq1iHmxpsdqrQQManeNvw9BA