1 2 3
MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
6/14/14 10:11 a.m.
Petrolburner wrote: I think they hit a home run with the C7. I'd love a C7 with the Z51 package. I do prefer the looks of the C6 though. I'd have a tough time deciding between the C6 Z06 and the C7 Z51 if they were in my price range.

I'm with you - I'd like the new power train and interior in the previous body style. To many angles/lines and general 'busy-ness' with the new design for my eye. Said the guy who likes the way a 240 Volvo looks....

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
6/14/14 10:30 a.m.

I like the C7 styling way more than the C6. But I like spats, spoilers, scoops and stuff. (from the factory, not from pep boys) The more aggressive styling really appeals to me. Especially when the performance backs up the look.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/14/14 1:37 p.m.
MichaelYount wrote: according to the manufacturers that spec them, the DSG automated manual trannies are much easier on both the clutches and the transmissions than a traditional manual transmissions because the computer that controls things doesn't make the mistakes that humans do. No left feet riding on the clutch pedal,

Apparently, in the twin clutch Evo X, you can burn up the trans in one or two laps. When you apply the brake the controller would give the active clutch 40% slip or something like that, exactly what you don't want if you are trying to use left foot braking to get around handling issues.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/4/14 10:11 a.m.

New 8-Speed Enables Quicker, More Efficient Corvette GM-designed, patented paddle-shift gearbox rivals dual-clutch performance

So with an auto apparently the new Vette is quicker. Looking at the design this may be the swan song for the old fashioned torque converter performance transmission. The claims from GM that the new transmission is quicker on shifts that the Porsche PDK is funny. Of course it is. Because the old style autos don't ever actually get out of gear. They just have a clutch open or closed for whatever gear they are running and there is almost always overlap. Nice marketing there GM for the uninformed.

Marketing speak bashing aside, seem like a nice piece of kit. Should be interesting. Now, I think just maybe, we can start the funeral arrangements for the manual.

That is sad.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/4/14 12:08 p.m.

A friend of mine just got a sweet deal on a c6 z06 with low miles for $29k

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
10/4/14 12:18 p.m.

I can't believe I never replied to this thread.

There is no such thing as too much power. I hope I can own one of these in the next decade :D

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
10/4/14 5:50 p.m.

I don't get people sometimes. They bitch no one is making manuals anymore then there are a heap of people with pitchforks going "Why doesn't this car have a dual clutch!!?!?!?! Everyone else has it why not this car?" Then there are those of you like "It has too much power....etc etc etc"

I mean yes, dual clutch is faster; but, sheet at least one company is still making a true manual in a "supercar." Yes that much horsepower is ridiculous on the streets and track day events but it is freaking impressive that they can squeak that much out of an engine and still get better gas mileage than a STI. I do agree with not wanting people who owns these to be on the track with me because they usually never let you pass in passing zones and go super old person slow through the corners.

Lets just be happy manufacturers are still making awesome cars like this. Especially with all this hype and nonsense for more environmentally friendly vehicles to be built.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
10/4/14 8:10 p.m.
Harvey wrote: A friend of mine just got a sweet deal on a c6 z06 with low miles for $29k

Seriously where? $29k really? That's a 505hp supercar for under $30k. That's very very interesting.

atm92484
atm92484 New Reader
10/5/14 9:11 a.m.

I test drove a standard Z51 C7. Its funny saying that a car that is $60k is built to a price point but it is and it isn't a bad thing. The car was an absolute rocket, it rode really nice (definitely DD-able), the interior was nice even by today's high standards (I hate giving GM this much credit since its only taken 20+ years but they finally figured it out), and it was one heck of a bargain for the price. Aside from saying you have a Z06 I don't see how it could possibly be any better.

GM also needs to inform its dealers that even though it is a Corvette it is still a domestic car and there are more than 3 made every year; drop the "exotic" sales tactics.

maj75
maj75 Reader
10/5/14 1:28 p.m.

Former C6 owner. Took a while and I had to settle for my second choice in color because it was so hard to find a manual on a lot. Great engine and trans, weak interior and build quality.

I absolutely hate the styling of the C7. Would not consider for next vehicle whatever transmission it came with.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/5/14 1:42 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Harvey wrote: A friend of mine just got a sweet deal on a c6 z06 with low miles for $29k
Seriously where? $29k really? That's a 505hp supercar for under $30k. That's very very interesting.

Not sure where he got it. We are in Southern CT. It was definitely a smoking deal as the car has very little mileage.

jsquared
jsquared Reader
10/6/14 4:05 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: I don't get people sometimes. They bitch no one is making manuals anymore then there are a heap of people with pitchforks going "Why doesn't this car have a dual clutch!!?!?!?! Everyone else has it why not this car?" Then there are those of you like "It has too much power....etc etc etc" I mean yes, dual clutch is faster; but, sheet at least one company is still making a true manual in a "supercar." Yes that much horsepower is ridiculous on the streets and track day events but it is freaking impressive that they can squeak that much out of an engine and still get better gas mileage than a STI. I do agree with not wanting people who owns these to be on the track with me because they usually never let you pass in passing zones and go super old person slow through the corners. Lets just be happy manufacturers are still making awesome cars like this. Especially with all this hype and nonsense for more environmentally friendly vehicles to be built.

I think the bitching isn't so much "we want a dual-clutch instead of a manual" but "we want a dual clutch option instead of an automatic alongside the manual option"

MichaelYount wrote: In reply to confuZion3: "....how much does it cost to have clutches changed...." Don't know how much it costs and in the concentric shaft models (Porsche/Audi/VW - others too) there are two clutches -- but according to the manufacturers that spec them, the DSG automated manual trannies are much easier on both the clutches and the transmissions than a traditional manual transmissions because the computer that controls things doesn't make the mistakes that humans do. No left feet riding on the clutch pedal, no missed shifts, no partially engaged clutches during shifts/downshifts resulting in grinding gears, no 6th to 3rd downshifts making the synchros work hard, perfect rev matches on downshifts saving more wear/tear on the clutches and synchros, etc.

Also, most of the DCTs have wet clutches as well, which helps reduce wear and overheating.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
10/6/14 7:00 a.m.

I don't care what any ofthe haters say, I'll take mine as a 2LZ coupe in Laguna Blue with the Kalahari brown leather interior. Man, that's a hell of an automobile!

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/6/14 8:31 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: I don't get people sometimes. They bitch no one is making manuals anymore then there are a heap of people with pitchforks going "Why doesn't this car have a dual clutch!!?!?!?! Everyone else has it why not this car?" Then there are those of you like "It has too much power....etc etc etc" I mean yes, dual clutch is faster; but, sheet at least one company is still making a true manual in a "supercar." Yes that much horsepower is ridiculous on the streets and track day events but it is freaking impressive that they can squeak that much out of an engine and still get better gas mileage than a STI. I do agree with not wanting people who owns these to be on the track with me because they usually never let you pass in passing zones and go super old person slow through the corners. Lets just be happy manufacturers are still making awesome cars like this. Especially with all this hype and nonsense for more environmentally friendly vehicles to be built.

Hahaha, get out of the noob group? Around here the guys in Vette's are on the purple crack and HAULING A$$.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
10/6/14 8:31 a.m.

I'd seriously consider the auto. I know the manual would be "more fun" and what not, but the whole point of the Z06 is faster faster faster, and the auto is faster. If I just wanted to have fun in a corvette, the base car is great at that.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lSRxIpvwdAhLCwP4GKe9cz5kxARWgj9vCndednn8bzJLOLmxQwaQ8iLHCXXyqBke