1 2 3
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/14 9:13 a.m.

296 hp, delivered at 5500 rpm, maximum torque 280 lb-ft, Haldex AWD, 5-Door only, 6-Speed or DSG. Yes, it will be more expensive than the new STi but the STi is ugly, is sedan only, is ugly, has a cheap interior, is ugly, and it is kinda ugly. Did I mention how incredibly ugly it is?

I have been saving my pennies for a new GTI, but I may have to stretch it a bit for the R because...damn.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
1/8/14 9:34 a.m.

And a price tag of around $35k.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/14 9:37 a.m.

You didn't mention it's nearly 3400lbs...I wouldn't pay $10k more than a Toyobaru for one.

Yeah it could be a good competitor for the STi, but I would never buy a new STi...it has the parts rarity of a supercar combined with the depreciation of a Corvette.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
1/8/14 9:47 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: You didn't mention it's nearly 3400lbs...I wouldn't pay $10k more than a Toyobaru for one. Yeah it could be a good competitor for the STi, but I would never buy a new STi...it has the parts rarity of a supercar combined with the depreciation of a Corvette.

Are you kidding? Try finding an 04 STi...well at least in the south...that's less than $20k and in decent condition. Losing only $1000 a year isn't bad deprecation compared to other cars.

And at least with your purchase of a VW you'll get to meet a lot of new friends at the dealership and service department.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
1/8/14 9:49 a.m.

Those wheels !

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/8/14 9:51 a.m.

I like it. Just not $35k like.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
1/8/14 9:54 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: You didn't mention it's nearly 3400lbs...

This.

Also, IIRC doesn't the Haldex system suck for performance driving?

The car is pretty sharp. Shame its so expensive. And its a VW.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
1/8/14 9:55 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: And at least with your purchase of a VW you'll get to meet a lot of new friends at the dealership and service department.

Not to mention all the new friends you will have at VWVortex where you can discuss such hard hitting issues as hard parking, stretch & poke, bags, and borrowing more money from your parents.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/14 10:03 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: You didn't mention it's nearly 3400lbs...I wouldn't pay $10k more than a Toyobaru for one. Yeah it could be a good competitor for the STi, but I would never buy a new STi...it has the parts rarity of a supercar combined with the depreciation of a Corvette.
Are you kidding? Try finding an 04 STi...well at least in the south...that's less than $20k and in decent condition. Losing only $1000 a year isn't bad deprecation compared to other cars. And at least with your purchase of a VW you'll get to meet a lot of new friends at the dealership and service department.

Maybe it's just around me, they lose half their value within a decade, probably due to the parts rarity. Even though brotato-types crunch them regularly.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
1/8/14 10:13 a.m.

You can get a BMW 315i coupe for close to that money.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
1/8/14 10:17 a.m.

Personal view. The R has always been a better 'car' than the Sti or Evo. A good friend has had an 04 R32 for many years now. I love that car and would own one in a heart beat. As a car to be driven on the road I'd take one 11 times out of 10 over an STi/Evo. This more so.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
1/8/14 10:31 a.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222:

My experience is similar with regards to the STI. I was casually researching them over the Summer and was stunned at the resale values.

Now an '04 R32 coud be a fun car to get. It seems they've depreciated more than the STI and since they were somewhat expensive cars, most were adult-owned and not beat on so hard.

In other AWD VW news, the original Golf Rallye hits 25 years old in 2014...

Storz
Storz Dork
1/8/14 10:49 a.m.

For my money I'd rather have the Focus ST and a whole bunch of money left over

jv8
jv8 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/8/14 10:58 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote:
Are you kidding? Try finding an 04 STi...well at least in the south...that's less than $20k and in decent condition. Losing only $1000 a year isn't bad deprecation compared to other cars.

This. I bought an '04 STi for about $29K in the fall of 2003. Here we are 10+ years later and it's depreciated less than 50%. It's been a rock-solid car for me - no issues other than wear items.

But the OP has it right - it's ugly, not a hatch, and I had to customize the interior (seats, etc) to make it tolerable. I don't see anybody chiming in with other good looking AWD hatch options with great interiors.

I may end up with a Golf R.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/8/14 11:21 a.m.

I'm completely infatuated by the Golf R, but nowhere near shopping a $35k car.

Edit: I'll also add that one of the reasons I really like it is that it(seems) to offer the sophistication and refinement of the other German makes, without showing the world you're a prick in an expensive car. The fact it looks almost identical to a standard Golf, and the average person would think its a $20k car vs. A $35k car is a good thing, IMO.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
1/8/14 11:25 a.m.

I've considered a Golf R before. I love their looks, awd hatch, amply powered and probably a way better interior than the Subaru (even though all VWs smell like a Crayola factory). I don't recall any Subaru ever being pretty. It's like that saying a face only a mother could love, except it's the whole family in regards to the company.

The problem I have with VW is durability and maintenance costs - then the competition. The wife likes the Golfs/GTIs so we'll look at the 2015 but it's hard to beat how cheap and dead nuts reliable K2x civics are.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/8/14 11:27 a.m.
jv8 wrote: But the OP has it right - it's ugly, not a hatch, and I had to customize the interior (seats, etc) to make it tolerable. I don't see anybody chiming in with other good looking AWD hatch options with great interiors.

BAM!

Mazda3 suspension may be bolt on if you don't like the elevated ride height. I also have it on good authority that the 6 speed auto in these is pretty good. Plus, there could be an oil burning option soon.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
1/8/14 11:31 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: 296 hp, delivered at 5500 rpm, maximum torque 280 lb-ft, Haldex AWD, 5-Door only, 6-Speed or DSG. Yes, it will be more expensive than the new STi but the STi is ugly, is sedan only, is ugly, has a cheap interior, is ugly, and it is kinda ugly. Did I mention how incredibly ugly it is? I have been saving my pennies for a new GTI, but I may have to stretch it a bit for the R because...damn.

Yea but its no Kia Rondo.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
1/8/14 11:45 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: You didn't mention it's nearly 3400lbs...
This. Also, IIRC doesn't the Haldex system suck for performance driving? The car is pretty sharp. Shame its so expensive. And its a VW.

Yes and repairs on it is not cheap but it is a VW.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/8/14 11:47 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

Five-door only, but the pic is of a three-door? Huh. I'd like to see how the R looks with the extra doors.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/8/14 11:58 a.m.

I really like the 5 door form factor for a balance of fun vs family practicality.
Focus ST is also high on the list, but a friend has a regular one and it's ok with kids. Not as good as the golf gti 5 door.

jv8
jv8 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/8/14 12:10 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote:
jv8 wrote: But the OP has it right - it's ugly, not a hatch, and I had to customize the interior (seats, etc) to make it tolerable. I don't see anybody chiming in with other good looking AWD hatch options with great interiors.
BAM! Mazda3 suspension may be bolt on if you don't like the elevated ride height. I also have it on good authority that the 6 speed auto in these is pretty good. Plus, there could be an oil burning option soon.

I like Mazdas (we own a Mazda5) but that is down 100+hp from the Golf-R (even more for manual trans), it is not available with a stick + AWD, and it would be a suspension swap/tuning exercise to get rid of the cute-ute ride height and optimize for handling.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
1/8/14 12:16 p.m.

If by "optimized for handling" you mean "chronic understeer" I agree.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
1/8/14 12:45 p.m.
jv8 wrote:
Brett_Murphy wrote:
BAM! Mazda3 suspension may be bolt on if you don't like the elevated ride height. I also have it on good authority that the 6 speed auto in these is pretty good. Plus, there could be an oil burning option soon.
I like Mazdas (we own a Mazda5) but that is down 100+hp from the Golf-R (even more for manual trans), it is not available with a stick + AWD, and it would be a suspension swap/tuning exercise to get rid of the cute-ute ride height and optimize for handling.

Also you missed the bit about good looking. That is seriously seriously Fugly

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
1/8/14 12:48 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Personal view. The R has always been a better 'car' than the Sti or Evo. A good friend has had an 04 R32 for many years now. I love that car and would own one in a heart beat. As a car to be driven on the road I'd take one 11 times out of 10 over an STi/Evo. This more so.

Just my opinion......I think mostly you are right as it being a better all around driver. I have driven a R32 and owned a GTi. The Evo/STi are harder/stiffer and less polished but OMG they will leave the R for dead. They really are the closest thing to a rally car for the road. I have owned several WRXs and one STi and have a deposit on the new STi coming out here shortly. I could easily go for the Evo too. The Germans build some damn fine cars and it looks like this one will be extra fine but I am sticking with tried and true. The VW was the most problem prone vehicle I have ever owned and the Subies have all been problem free. I am not a hater of any vehicle though and I am glad more of these types of cars are being built. We now have the STi, Focus ST, MS3, Evo and the VW. Rock on.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zgpLHJPZSfWehE9FGxLKFmmdBK8NGwfQvb7HTF08jf1rofzSbeyFO79MpwxsOqmp